BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Ky- Bluegrass state or white?

OK this aint funny no more, where did ya all go? Hope all is well with every one. I think Ky got slammed. We have had electricity since it came back on yesterday evening, but most of our county dont have it yet. Hubby came home early from work in the oilfields, he said they werent making any progress clearing roads, trees were falling right behind them. And his company is the one that usually clears most of the roads in the north east end of the county. We have no phones or cell service here but we are all warm,dry and fed.

Stay warm and safe!

stella
Old 01-31-2009, 11:16 PM

husband got the generator hooked up to the house this afternoon. No power since monday night. Practicing what we are preaching, warm and fed, sort of isolated. Our place is a mess, trees down, fences down, not a trail open, citywater is having some problem, contamination, pumps out, I don't know, but the whole county is out of water. We have water stored and are doing fine. a cow had a calf and lost it, then she failed to clean herself. true friends cut their way in with a chainsaw and gave her a shot. it will be a while until we get power, we are the last ones on the last, b ack in the woods on the wrong side of the railroad tracks.
Hope everyone else is fine. good to see you are okay stella.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:32 AM

I am jumpin up and down, so happy to hear you are ok. Sorry about your cow, that is a bad lick to lose a calf. My family over in Callaway co. are still running on gererators. Only communications with them is text message. You all got hit a hard too. Our county is starting to get cleaned up and power on. Wouldnt like it but we at our house could hold out for a long time. Really would like to know about the rest of our cyber friends here in the state.

Stay safe and have a great day!

stella
Old 02-01-2009, 10:08 PM

husband just turned on the generator, to pump water and then to run the freezer,so this is a fringe benefit.
all around, folks have got power back. I have to call in the morning, they may have forgotten about us. A friend told us he had the police and national guard stop by three times asking if they needed water or assistance of any kind,after the power was back on. Looks like the crews were sent first to the board members and a neighbor wrote a letter and told them she was going to let the governor know how they took care of things. It is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.
Our daughter is coming for a visit tuesday. Husband got me a lady's size chainsaw yesterday, I need it too. It only weighs 6 pounds. He used it today to cut up all the branches in the yard. I guess I have to get out the galvanized tub so we can take a bath in front of the kitchen stove.
Hope everyone is safe and sound.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 AM

Just when we thought we were in good shape, here come the snow. We had 65 degrees here on Sunday and now tonight it is 12 degrees and 2 inches of snow with more coming down and wind. :-/ Guess spring will be here soon enough. I have cabin fever bad. But we are supposed to have 50 plus temps this weekend. I'll take it.

Hope everyone is well.

Stay safe and warm and have a great day!

stella
Old 02-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Goofy Ky weather hot, cold, rain, snow all in a matter of days. Don't like it today just wait it will totally change soon.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:21 PM

Just an inquiry.....How you guys doing up there in Kentucky. Ur equivilent to a Florida hurricane doesn't look too nice. Be safe.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 PM

well, the hills around our place look just awful. there is not a single tree that is not damaged greatly. it sounded like war while it lasted, the break of limbs and trees sounds a bit like gunshots, then the sound of the crashing. It went on all night and all day. Our peripheral fence seems to have a big limb on it every ten feet. all the trails we made need to b e cleared again. It is such a mess, at least here out in the woods. I don't know how it is in town, have not been off the place. I am taking pictures of all the piled up branches we have down in the lower pasture. we hired the boys of our Amish friend to come with chainsaws as we are physically not able to cut the big stuff. so much work it is discouraging. what we need is the power company to come by with their big chipper/shredder, that would be a real help.
My neighbor Judy lost all her mature appletrees, and the big walnut tree in her yard. two drought summers, now an icestorm like nobody remembers. things need to ease up a bit. thanks for the concern snake.
Otherwise we are doing okay. I understand there are still lots of households without power and last night it got down to zero. for us it was a blessing in disguise as our pond was criss crossed with downed trees and the ice held, would have been impossible to clear with the water open.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Gosh Bookwormom sounds like ya all got bit bad. Prayers for ya hunny. We did ok here, just lost one day of power and we are fine. Lots of trees down but that comes with havin a lot of trees. Wish I was able to come help ya but physically wouldnt do ya much good. I havent been off the farm either so dont know first hand what the rest of the county looks like but hubby says it bad. Hope everyone else is ok.

Have a great Day!

stella
Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Bookwormom glad to here that you made it through the ice warm and safe. over here in my part of hardin county we got electricty back last night. Almost scared me getting light by just flippen a switch,and no match or kerosene involved. Just what will they think of next, maybe an indoor outhouse LOL. Be safe be warm, and most of all enjoy life. PHRR
Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 AM

Well you can sure tell we are in Ky, if you dont like the weather just wait a few it will change. Nice enough sunday to do a little in the garden, nice enough at 72 degrees to dry laundry out side in a hurry. Sheets smell ssooo good dried outside. Lookin forward to trying them out.
But the mud, the freeze and thaw made the roads and everything a mess. The ground is really soft. Maybe a good rain will settle the mud some, usually does.
Glad every one made it through the ice storm well, with no one hurt.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 02-10-2009, 05:34 PM

last night I talked to a lady who got power back on yesterday. two weeks almost on the dot. I am wondering if everybody here is back on and how they fared.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:34 AM

We got our power back a couple of days ago, after being out 11 days. I've been trying to catch up on things around the house, like laundry and grocery shopping. I'll try and post more about our little odyssey tomorrow (we fared well - much better than most of our neighbors who gave up and left)
Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 PM

Junie glad to see ya back, thought abut you several times and wondered how things were. Knowing how close we are geographically I guessed you got hit hard too. A country girl can survive! Glad to see we made it. There are still a few that havent checked in yet, one was in Pike county I think, and dang cant remember the user name.
As of today we need to drop anchor so we dont get blown away. And say a prayer for the folks in Oklahoma that got the brunt on the tornados and wind.
With the weather so nice at 65 degrees today it makes me want to get outside and dig in the dirt. But that would be wasted effort, we still got some winter to go yet.

Have a great day.

stella
Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Glad follks are getting their power back, has made for some interesting conversation with the tv and lights and heat off. kind of nice in its own way i think. your should have seen the kids and wife last night when we got home agian with no electric. hopeing the are beginning to see a few things in a different light so to speak. hope everyone is well and dry. take care Rick
Old 02-12-2009, 04:01 PM

I would have posted more last night, but we lost our power AGAIN! This time it was a substation that broke down. They got it fixed just as I was going to bed, so all is well today.

Pike county may not have fared so well, though. My BIL called last night and said that 6 out of 8 substations were down there. I haven't heard from him yet today.

The storms yesterday blew down more trees and caused some flooding, washing out part of our road.

Let's see, in the past 2 weeks, we've had an ice storm, a snow storm, high winds, and flooding. I reckon an earthquake will be next. :
Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 PM

we had an earthquake last year. we had tornado warnings all day yesterday. then the power went off again, but came back around bedtime. this has been some winter. Our daughter has been here a week and experienced ice, snow and zero cold, then 72 degrees and like spring, then torrential rain and storms. Today is a really lovely day,cool and sunny, the world looks clean washed. but last night we heard the crash of a couple more trees coming down.
I hope everyone has come through unscathed. we learned a few things to be sure.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:47 PM

The power is back on ( tho I find myself flipping the light switch from time to time just to make sure). My daughter just came home from Ecuador. The weather has moderated and i feel much better. I even found time to laugh at myself as I chased three 55 gal. barrels of aluminum cans across the back yard in the wind storm. MY back is sore from bending over picking up cans. ROFL
Old 02-14-2009, 01:03 AM

Just a wondering how much more snow we might get this winter, it sure has been a different one. My vote is maybe another two inches total with three more snows ? what youall think. Rick
Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 PM

Well just when we thought it was spring, here comes winter again. Ice storm one week, spring like temps one week, and now we are to get snow this week.
Has anyone else noticed trees starting to bud out? Flowers and herbs starting to come back? I have herbs and flowers coming through the mulch and while cutting some trees over the weekend I noticed the trees had little leaf buds on them.Guess it is the extreme swings in temperature that triggered this process.

Hope all is well with everyone, and if we wait around the good old Kentucky weather will change again.

Have a great day.

stella