BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Ky- Bluegrass state or white?

there is a Kentucky Arts and Crafts show in Louisville the 21stand 22d. I guess everything is made in KY. I really would like to go check it out. There was an article in the paper, it is sponsored by the state, but no address. I hope that can be found. Anyone else going?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Bookwormom address listed on web site this year is as follows
KEC South Wing B
21 4th street
louisville, Ky.
Adults $8.00 children 15 and under free.
They are listing over 300 Exhibitors.

I have gone many times in the past and it is always a nice showing of the arts and crafts. I tryed finding my flyer they sent me but no luck. Anyway if you make it let us know how you liked it. I never have gone where they have it addressed as being on the web this year. All the times I went in the past it was at the Kentucky State Fairgrounds but I haven't been in the last 5,6 years or so. Rick
Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 PM

Well is it ever gonna be spring here in the Bluegrass state? It is March and the weather varies more than normal from day to day. I would like a few days of warm weather so my peas can sprout and maybe come up. It is almost time to start seeds for planting a little later. When its cold out doors I just cant get motivated to do much in the yard and garden. Does any one else feel like this? Or have I been in hibernation too long.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 PM

Well now am thinking spring is upon us. Have heard a few spring peepers for the past several days. And its finally dry enough to plow to big garden area. Had some really nice weather the past few days and startin to get a lot of stuff done around the place.
Is everyone else starting the garden plans here?

Have a great day!

stella
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Yes it was really nice to get out in the warmer weather for certain. Got all the limbs cut up from ice storm played in the garage a few hours and went up to the campsite in Indiana to check on the place. racked a bunch of leaves and cut up limbs for the fire pit. Just wonder when the next snow will fall. got the raised bed ready for planting. come on spring.

Rick
Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Master Pontificator

Howdy, Already have 3lbs sugarsnap,s out. 8 50ft. row,s. 4 50ft row,s of pea,s my granddad use to plant every year. They have to be stuck. One flat of cabbage ( stonehead ). Early onion,s and lettuce. Carrot,s in the ground. YEP! it,s been nice. On the down side have to overhaul the farmall f-cub But on the up side have a farmall lowboy fixed and ready to go. Can,t wait to bust the ground. The tiller feel,s good but not the same. I love them old tractor,s. The frost will be back once anyway. I,ll be ready for it. Hope so anyway after all it is kentucky.
(note to self pray no more 3ft april snow,s)

;D
Old 03-10-2009, 01:24 AM

You are so right, it is Kentucky weather. So nice the past few days and now posed to go to the upper 40's end of week. and more rain. Mrgreen, we got peas planted too, they havent come up yet, but probably will when the ground warms a little more. Am thinkin you are far enough in the mountains that you wont get too many more frost.
And just hope Kyhome is wrong on the snow. Good luck on the old tractors, keep em fixed up and they will still last longer than the new ones.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 PM

78 and very nice yesterday mid 40's today forcasting sleet and maybe snow the next two days. Yep if you don't like the weather today stick around it seems to change daily this time of the year. Rick
Old 03-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Master Pontificator

Howdy yall, Less than 3 hour,s ago started ta snow. 2 inches and still a flat pouring down. My cabbage got little coat,s on. ;D
Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 AM

(Throwin snow balls at KYHome) Dang it jus when I thought it was spring, it snows on my world. And KYHome please no more snow. Lie to me and tell me its over.Earlier today was lookin at my herb bed and they were up so pretty. Well now they got lil white fluffy caps on. But the temps are not that bad so maybe all will end well. We have probably 2 inches of snow here already and have had some sleet. This is Kentucky weather.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM

I can not believe this snow. I have been at Ft Campbell a few years and live on post. I finally have a yard I can plant things in so I am starting a garden. *I have a fence to keep deer out but we have lots of racoons. Any advice to keep them away? I would love to chat with someone here to get a local nursery or somewhere to get good soil for my raised beds. I called one and they want 59.00 for one cubic yard of ammended soil, I need two so I am looking at 118.00 plus tax plus hauling it to my house, will take 2-3 trips. I am only here until September. So that is a large investment for one summer garden. I have a small scale salsa garden planned along with pickling cucumbers, watermelon and pumpkins. Anything I should know about the area bugs or critters that will help me? *Anyhow, soil is what I need, where can I get good soil at a reasonable price in the area?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilberts_Wifey
I can not believe this snow. I have been at Ft Campbell a few years and live on post. I finally have a yard I can plant things in so I am starting a garden. *I have a fence to keep deer out but we have lots of racoons. Any advice to keep them away? I would love to chat with someone here to get a local nursery or somewhere to get good soil for my raised beds. I called one and they want 59.00 for one cubic yard of ammended soil, I need two so I am looking at 118.00 plus tax plus hauling it to my house, will take 2-3 trips. I am only here until September. So that is a large investment for one summer garden. I have a small scale salsa garden planned along with pickling cucumbers, watermelon and pumpkins. Anything I should know about the area bugs or critters that will help me? *Anyhow, soil is what I need, where can I get good soil at a reasonable price in the area?
I wouldn't waste money on ammended soil just to leave it behind... I'd buy a couple bags of composted cow manure and put a little under each plant, then use "miracle grow" to feed the "plants" not the weeds... That means watering the plants not the whole garden. For a garden spot your going to leave behind, i believe that would be the best option.

Best thing for coons, is a live trap and a 22...

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM

*I wouldn't waste money on ammended soil just to leave it behind... *I'd buy a couple bags of composted cow manure and put a little under each plant, then use "miracle grow" to feed the "plants" not the weeds... *That means watering the plants not the whole garden. * *For a garden spot your going to leave behind, i believe that would be the best option.

*Best thing for coons, is a live trap and a 22...

*DM
I need 2 cubic fee to fill the bed, it is 24.00 for a cubic foot. I could go with 1.5 cubic feet topsoil and put some manure as you said under the areas where I am planting? That would save me about half I can live with 50-60 dollars. Thank you
Old 03-15-2009, 09:16 PM

you can buy bagged potting soil at walmart for a whole lot less - and plant right in the bag -
Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Master Pontificator

Howdy! soggy kentuck have ta tie milkjug,s under the armpit,s ta get the mail. ;D Naw not quite that bad. Was gona plant tater,s but i,d have to tie rock,s to them ta keep them in the ground. ;D They would float off. Can,t gripe we need the early rain. Were just out of a moderate drought. It could come back purdy easy.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 AM

Just when ya think it is spring enough to get out side, it snows, then rain and flooding. So it is going to be a while before any plantin is done in our area. The fields are mud. We have a flood watch for our area.
MrGreenJeans ya can put down a tater then a rock on top of it to keep it there. LOL Know what ya mean.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Master Pontificator

LOL, Why i,d have tater pancake,s ready ta roll. ;D
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Tater cakes ready to roll and hit the skillet, now that would be a good thing MrgreenJeans. OK Stella I am thinking no more snow to mount ta anything but maybe another cold snap or two be4 its back to sweating weather. Hope everyones gardens due wonderfull this year. Rick
Old 03-18-2009, 05:04 PM

sounds like you all are done with the cleaning up chores from the ice storm. I took a picture of four inches of snow on my blooming daffodils. at least it does not last long this time of year. I guess we have to take what comes and make the best of it. I am planting my peas on fools day. MIL says they will catch up with yourn. wanna have a pea race?
We have the craziest chickens. Husband made them a little chickengate at the back fence so they can get out to the pasture and the woods. Not one has gone out yet,and it has been there two weeks. . I put the food and water right there. I put some manure there so they will scratch around and find the hole. nope. they have not even touched the manure. all they have on their little brains is to get out and into my garden. I guess I have to get up really early tomorrow morning, carry each one over and push her through. Maybe they will catch on.
well, we are still cutting up big branches and piling up burnpiles. When you are surrounded by woods in an icestorm the whole periphery of every piece of cleared land needs to be cleaned up. I am afraid we stillhave weeks of work from this. just hauling in all the piles of firewood here and there and everywhere. The cabbages are up, (cone shaped, round, and purple) so is broccoli, the peppers are stirring. I got lettuce and green onions growing in two big mortar tubs. That ought to fool the moles. I might pull a few onions in a day or two.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Master Pontificator

Luck ta all the gardener,s this season. Peach tree,s and red bud will be out by the end of the week. They got hit last year. Expect it will happen agian.