BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Re: Ky- Bluegrass state or white?

Helllllooooo! Every one. ECHOOOOOOO! ;D
Old 03-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Hello all, we are all well here, just wet and cold. Dang I thought spring was here already. Got a feelin we are in for a wet spring. But it will make for a good garden season again. Am hearing on the news that somewhere in Ky we had tornados last night, hope its not true, although we did get some wind last night. And a bunch of rain. Guess we have the spring storm season to go yet. So everyone dig in, and hang on it will all be over soon.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 PM

Saturday we had several funnel clouds here in western KY. Corydon was hit pretty hard. Lots of wind and thunderstorms, complete with hail. Then the temps dropped yesterday and we had a few snow flurries. Today the sun is shinning and 60 degrees. Another storm system moves in tonight so who knows what we will get.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Master Pontificator

Howdy all, Wet and cool, dry and warm, warm wet dry and cool, ky. weather. It,s spring. Still looking for that first shroom.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:34 AM

And let there be rain. We got a good deal of rain here in the east and some flooding in small streams, nothing to write home about. Is this our redbud winter or is it too early? I think our fruit trees survived the cold and snow last week. In our town we got some 2 inches of wet snow that melted by evening. Hope all our fellow Kentuckians have survived the severe weather today.

Happy Easter and have a great day!

stella
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Master Pontificator

Hey yall, Had some of that white stuff the other day to. Just to wet for planting. It will go in the ground when dry enough. The pea,s and cabbage seem to love it. Found 11 dryland fish yesterday. ;D It has began.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:01 AM

it is soggy and cold. I got a fire going and tomorrow is supposed to be a good day for planting corn and beans, according to the sign, but not according to the weather.
Mr.green jeans, I would like to learn to find morels,but have never found one in my life. what kind of place do they like to grow in? Of course if it is woods I might as well forget it. Our woods look so bad a cat could lose her kittens.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 PM

Howdy folks hope everyone’s a doing ok. Another cold and dreary day here, but they keep saying more sunshine is a coming I am ready. Never have hunted them Morels either but I have been lucky enough to have eaten a bunch fried in a little butter they sure are tasty.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Master Pontificator

Howdy yall, I don,t have enough tec sense to put up a thread on them. Just got a cell phone about 6 month,s ago. : Yep i was draged into the 20th century a kicking and a screaming. I look around water and popular, apple, cherry, tree,s also later in the season on oak ridge,s. Look on The Great Morel Home Page. Great info there and a selection of state forum,s to look on. Read every thing you can on them if you can get someone to show you one or two. There is a false morel out there. If you find a few easy to know the real ones. Just be very careful when gathering mushroom,s. The wrong one can put a hurting on ya. I hope you can get started on them but it is addictive once ya start. I,ve found many in the worst whiterose patche,s ya ever saw. Looked like i tried to put a wildcat in a onion sack at the end of the day. Edge,s of stream,s and river bank,s a really good spot,s. Scymore tree,s do well for me. Enjoy and be safe a hunting. well worth the effort to me anyway.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 AM

well, I was at the Amish country store today and the guy who hauled our bull for us was there and had three morels in a poke. so i got a good look.
Well, I think I know where I should look, but heck, nobody has cleaned up over there.
so have you all started putting your gardens out? I planted cabbage and broccoli yesterday.
this kind of weather should be just perfect.
Feathertoes (hen's name) hatched out 12 doodles. It does not take much to make us happy.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Master Pontificator

Yesterday evening about dark came on 5 within 40 ft. of the 4wheeler. I,d been looking for an hour in that area. Just did not think ta look close by where i parked at. Tall stalk ones with small cap,s on um. Got some polk ta get tomorrow, been watching it for a wk. about 6 inches tall now. Going ta plow a lot in the morning 80x80. 100 lb,s tater,s hopefully in the ground bout mid day. Pea,s are11 inches tall, onion,s and lettuce are doing well. 9 early cabbage looking good, if them dang rabbit,s will leave it alone. A friend had his eat off twice this year already. It,s a trying ta dry up, a little. If they don,t go in tomorrow it,s gona rain sunday nite. Least that,s what cousin jim say,s.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:04 PM

Well we have rain again here. Just wondering if the rain will visit us enough this summer to produce good gardens and such. In our area it is time to have corn and beans in the ground, but its to wet to plow and I cant dance. So guess we will wait for another dry spell. But after this rain everything is so green and beautiful here. Yet another one of Gods many miracles.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 04-21-2009, 01:00 PM

Last two days it has poured buckets. today is a looking good even seeing a little sunshine this morning. have fun everyone and best wishes with the planting. Rick
Old 04-21-2009, 05:32 PM

Dangit that didn't last long cloudy and raining like mad. oh well. Rick
Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Master Pontificator

Turned out to be cool, windy, but very nice today. A little trip to the top of the hollar netted 18 morel,s. Only 9 not dried up. Cut the dry one,s in half and layed them under leaf,s in the edge of the bottom. I have had them to come up like that. Weather hold,s out. We will get tater,s out.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:10 PM

Is it going to stop raining any time soon? Or do we get the animals lined up 2 by 2?
Old 05-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Master Pontificator

I have my boat tied up in the drive way just in case. Naw not that bad yet but i would like to see a little break. We are getting one now but won,t last long. Giving more soon to come. Right about the time it,ll start to dry up. Here it,ll come back. I did get some tender treat corn and white cornfield bean,s in, two kind,s carrot and beet,s out. Another onion and lettuce bed. We have two and a half inch,s so far. Not as bad as some place,s with 3 to 5 that,s a bit much i reckon.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM

(Tossin out floaties) Well we had corn and beans and some other stuff planted, maybe its still there some where. Guess we will just harvest where ever it grows. We got some hard rain but in the river bottoms it drains pretty good so maybe......We are very blessed to have a river farm that get moisture and drains well even in rainy seasons like we have had.
We have bunches of plants that need transplanted to the big garden soon as it dries a little. All the other berries and plants that were planted around in other areas of the farm are doing well. Now if I could just figure out how to keep the moles or something from eatin my onions I would be doing really well.

Have a great day and stay dry!

stella
Old 05-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Stella not sure the floaties will be enough, dang it its raining again today and forecast call rain and thunder storms next two. I am wanting to go camping and fishing this weekend without the rain. oh well I be a going anyway just sure would be nicer if it was dry. Rick
Old 05-18-2009, 04:11 AM

Well Im thinkin we either gonna drown or freeze to death here. It is down right cold for the middle of May. Only 45 degrees and a frost advisory for tonight. I can tell ya if it frosts I am givin up the garden this year. It has survived the rains, but frost I jus dont know. The grass sure is pretty for what thats worth.

Have a great day!

stella