BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default NY Roll Call

Peace,

Would not trade the Adirondacks for anything, well maybe, a chalet in south of France or Amsterdam but I do not see that ever happening so......New York represent.

"It is reasonable and just I should have a right to destroy that which threatens me with destruction". -John Locke
Old 03-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Default Re: NY Roll Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333
Peace,

Would not trade the Adirondacks for anything, well maybe, a chalet in south of France or Amsterdam but I do not see that ever happening so......New York represent.

( Please tell me You do Not mean Amsterdam, NY ? )

We're here... high on our ridge.. Covered in far too much white stuff. Mea.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Peace,

Quote:
( Please tell me You do Not mean Amsterdam, NY ? Cheesy )
LOL I had thought that when I was type the other day, seeing how it is a NY related topic, I wondered if I would get ribbed for it.

The streets are so clean in the Netherlands, Amsterdam, ahhh, what a positively beautiful city.

Alas I am here about 30 minutes west north from Amsterdam NY, and the snow is still here to, the piles are 3-4 feet high, and some of the drifts down by my creek are 4-5 foot deep, but the overall coverage is down to less than 2 feet.

"It is reasonable and just I should have a right to destroy that which threatens me with destruction". -John Locke
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM

I'm in Rochester, at least till Mr. 8k loses his job/retires from Kodak. We have been here 30 years, but are from other places.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 AM

I am over by Syracuse area...Is this all the folks from upstate NY???
Old 06-23-2009, 02:35 PM

Hay New Yorkers!
I was born and raised in Western NY. I think of it as that sweet spot between Rochester, Niagara Falls and Buffalo, sandwiched between lake effect snow and uncontrolable slide down the black ice hill into the gaurd rail of Erie Canal.
I had a really crumby winter about 7.5 years ago and I packed up a rental truck and hauled it all down south, Florida.
I may be bias in saying that NY is the most beautiful state with thier waterfalls, fields, caves, lakes, and mountains.
Now I am feeling nostalgic.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:03 AM

Default New to the site

New to the site and getting settled in to my new (6 months) place. Small ranch home on 20 acres surrounded by fields and woods. Love it. I'm about 30 miles south of Rochester. Commute there for work.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 PM

Default Tug Hill

I'm another one here in NY. At least for now. I have a business and several properties here. The taxes are sucking the life out of me. Trying to sell. Have an off grid cabin in the Tug Hill region about 20 miles north of Syracuse. I will most likely keep it even if I move out of state. Have looked at a number of places. Heading out to New Mexico to look at some property this spring. Have looked at the Carolinas, Nova Scotia and a few other places. Trying to find more sunshine, lower taxes and open space. New York does have many positives but the governement here is a mess and the state is all but bankrupt. We are already one of the most heavily taxed states and I don't see it getting better. In fact we expect a double digit increase in school taxes this year.

Last edited by Anon001; 03-03-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Personal link not allowed.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:17 PM

Hello from Columbia County NY. No homestead yet really, just learning how unprepared I am and working on fixing it!

Thanks to all of you for the multitude of advice and ideas I've been able to get off of this site!

Thanks;
Darrin
Old 08-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Another upstater

Looks like it's time for another NYer to chime in.
I live in Chenango County, or as we often describe it, at least an hour away from nowhere.
I gotta agree with cabinman about the taxes and the less said about the politicans in Albany the better. But I don't know as it's any better anywhere else nowadays.
I've made my peace with the winters (at least since we got a woodstove) and the summers and autumns can't be beat. We've got lots of beautiful scenery, more cows than people, and it may be one of the few places left where a stranger will stop and help pull your car out of a ditch!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 PM

I am originally from Oneonta, currently in Easton, PA but have recently purchased 20 acres in St. Lawrence County. My wife and I have built a small 12x16' cabin on the property this past summer. We are no in the process of trimming it out. The details take so much more time than the actual shell construction. This is totall off grid - well with a Bison hand pump, propane RV refrigerator, RV stove/oven, two solar shed lights, 60 watts of solar panels leading to two large deep cycle marine batteries for misc. power. Our "get out of dodge" place.

Does anyone know about the regulations about building a pit privy. I believe they are still legal according to the state but each county and town can impose stricter regulations if they wish. Any further insight.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:01 PM

Thumbs up

Oswego County here, inland from Lake Ontario 20 miles or so. As far as I am concerned we have it all here, unfortunately that includes some of the highest taxes, ridiculous laws & self serving politicians..., but born & raised here theres no place like home!

Al

DiggerDirect.com
Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 PM

Dutchess county here. Born and raised in the sticks and have watched NY city creep north over the last 30 years. I look around these days and remember all the long gone farms that are now developments full of McMansions and think this isn't my home anymore. I really don't know what Albany is thinkin sometimes. With the way they are spending money it like they are wanting to drive folks like us right outta the state. I'm currently looking for some country property elsewhere, WV, NH, ME, WY, MT, TN ???? Kinda like my 4 seasons and not too big on the heat of the south (Army cured me of that). How bout yall? Planning on getting outta dodge or staying for the long haul?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
How bout yall? Planning on getting outta dodge or staying for the long haul?
Nah. never considered leaving, even after the seven ring circus side show of a 'Governor's debate' we had the other night (sigh)
I just play the cards I'm dealt, this is & always has been my home, I'll be darned if I'll let these jokers turn me into a refugee. I'll just keep doin what I can to make things better here, keep the positives of this place on top of the growing pile of negatives. Sooner or later the crap is REALLY going to hit the fan here, and I dont want to miss it!

http://www.DiggerDirect.com
Old 10-21-2010, 01:04 PM

I'm in Chemung County.

The problem with running rather than taking a stand is - eventually you run out of places to go!!!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:10 PM

That's cool, I've visited the north country and do love it up there, but I guess the bottom line is I just ain't happy here anymore. I'm a country boy who has been surrounded by the suburbs and their associated problems they bring with them. I figure if I'm going to sell the house and relocate, I only want to do it once. I'm rip roaring to get somewhere and buy land and build my own house and would like to do it somewhere where I don't have to go seek permission (get a supplement to your permit which can take from several days to weeks here) every time I decide to buy another handgun. Not saying NY won't always hold a special place in my heart, just that it's changed way too much for me. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd45hunt View Post
How bout yall? Planning on getting outta dodge or staying for the long haul?
I am actually waiting to move back to NYS. I am originally from Oneonta, in the foothills of the Catskills. Over the last 15 years, I have lived in Western PA, Rochester NY, Southern NJ and am now outside of Easton, PA.

My wife and i just bought 20 acres in St. Lawrence County and have built a small cabin on the property. My father owns 130 acres just outside of Oneonta. That will eventually be mine as well.

For some reason, we both enjoy what NY has to offer. Sure nobody likes the taxes but taxes are high everywhere and continue to go up.

NYS has whatever you may be looking for: The ocean, Mountains, large lakes, small lakes, flat lands, large unbroken sections of forest, fields and hedge rows, low rolling hills. You name it, the state has it. There is just something that is drawing me back.

Sure there are other beautiful places that I have been, Maine, New Mexico, Colorado etc., but NYS is where I will always call home.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:21 PM

Born and raised in Plattsburgh. I agree, theres nothing like upstate NY. Haven't been home since 02. Bout time to go back to visit.

Glo
Old 12-13-2010, 10:12 PM

Default another upstater

Hi there: Born in eastern MA, but have lived in upstate NY x the past 51 years. Currently am in west of Schenectady but east of Amsterdam. Would love to get a place in either northern Fulton, Hamilton or Essex county once I get the $$.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Another NY'er here. We are nestled between Honeoye and Canadice Lakes in the Finger Lakes. We live on our Homestead in progress lol. Beautiful place I wouldn't move for nothing.