BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:19 PM

Hi y'all!

I'm new here. Just found this site yesterday afternoon.

I currently live in the 'burbs just north of Houston, TX. However, my husband and I are making plans now to move this summer to some land my father left me in his will. We have a small business and two homes to sell first so we both know we have a lot of work to do in order to make this move happen.

My father passed away a month ago and left my brother and I a 200 acre farm in Washington Co. The farm has been in my family since the late 1800's. There is a spot all ready for us to move a mobile home to. There is a well, septic and electricity as well as a decent size building we plan to use to a storage/workshop.

Anyway..............my vote for Texas is country. Oh how I wish it were!
Old 11-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Texas is a State should be a Country

Well, a while back I posted that I was planning to buy land in Arkansas due to liking mountains. However, after seeing the downward spiral of this country and getting involved with tea parties and other pro Texas groups I came to my senses. I can always visit the mountains but Texas is the best place for me and my family! I found a home and a couple acres of Texas that I fell in love with in the Magnolia area. I am moving in a month from Katy. Texas is the best state I have lived, I was in the military and moved around a good bit.

With what is going on the U.S. right now I can think of no other place to be.

Thank God for the 10th Amendment and Thank God for Texas!

Kind Regards,

Rightslanted
Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightslanted View Post
Well, a while back I posted that I was planning to buy land in Arkansas due to liking mountains. However, after seeing the downward spiral of this country and getting involved with tea parties and other pro Texas groups I came to my senses. I can always visit the mountains but Texas is the best place for me and my family! I found a home and a couple acres of Texas that I fell in love with in the Magnolia area. I am moving in a month from Katy. Texas is the best state I have lived, I was in the military and moved around a good bit.

With what is going on the U.S. right now I can think of no other place to be.

Thank God for the 10th Amendment and Thank God for Texas!

Kind Regards,

Rightslanted
I felt the same way - used to want to move to the mountains - then I realized what a great state Texas is to live in. We have great gun laws and homeschooling laws. In my book Texas is the best place to be.

By the way - I pass through Magnolia on the way from where I live now to where I am going to move to this summer. Very nice area. Especially when compared to Katy, or Houston, or Spring.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 PM

My brother and I own a little place about 10 or 15-minutes out of Magnolia. We bought it when we both worked downtown in that hell hole, Houston, and have since split it in half. He lives on his half now and I just might wind up on my part eventually. That whole area of the state, outside the towns, is really nice but for now at least I'm soaking up some mountain living.
Best regards and prayers for your success at the new place,

Otis
Old 12-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Passed On

Location: I live in North Carolina.. but my heart belongs to Texas

Hey southernchick

I've been in East Texas for the past 7 years... and I haven't got one complaint. People have been very kind to me here. These folks are so down to earth and... real. Best of Luck to yas!

Be Strong
~Grizzy~
Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 PM

Grizzy you are so right about the people in east texas! We have a friend that lives here in Central Texas with us but has family in east texas. Every time he has taken us there with him all the people we have met have treated us like family (better than family if you compare them to my family). They have allowed us to hunt private land. Have invited us to stay with them when we were more than happy to camp and have invited us back time an again. It is really beautiful in east texas. DH and I wish we could afford land down there but he have not found any we could afford yet. If you come across something we would sure like to know about it. We prefer a minimum of 10 acres and probably not more than 25 acres but would consider a little more or less depending on the price
Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 PM

Default Texans should have a meetup

We should all arrange to get together when the weather is warmer. I am sure we could come up with a meetup place that would be agreeable. I would sure like to be able to put faces to some of the names.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Passed On

Location: I live in North Carolina.. but my heart belongs to Texas

It thundered last week. When it thunders in winter, the old saying is that you'll have snow within a week. It always held true in NC.. It did again here, in East Texas..

Yesterday, it was sleeting on my way home from work and into the late even'n. Then the sleet transitioned into snow and by 9:30 pm, as snowflakes continued to fall, we were snuggling unner a warm pure blanket of white.. well it was pure til Sweapea christened it with a steamy.. haha

Today, our great oak and pine limbs have ice and snow on them. The roof tops are covered. The pastures and wide open places lay hidden beneath a white cloak, while our beautiful white tail deer peek out from the cover of the woods. It's a waterglobe winter's day in East Texas. For those who have grown tired of this.. Gift.. I can understand that it brings hard work in the north. For us in the South, however.. this kind of event gives a gentle pause to our concerns and efforts. It's a time to create lovely fragrances in our homes and visit with loved ones. I have a peach pie cooling on the kitchen table made from peaches from a friend's orchard and there will be a hearty beef stew for supper.

For this bear, the winter snowtime can only be seen with childlike wonder.. Woofy an Sweapea totally concur..

Snuggled in muh Warm Cave
~Grizzy~
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. - Blackfoot
Old 02-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Inactive Member

central texas here.

I say we are a country. Like the bumper sticker says: "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"
Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 PM

another east texas homesteader
Old 04-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernchick View Post
Hi y'all!

I'm new here. Just found this site yesterday afternoon.

I currently live in the 'burbs just north of Houston, TX. However, my husband and I are making plans now to move this summer to some land my father left me in his will. We have a small business and two homes to sell first so we both know we have a lot of work to do in order to make this move happen.

My father passed away a month ago and left my brother and I a 200 acre farm in Washington Co. The farm has been in my family since the late 1800's. There is a spot all ready for us to move a mobile home to. There is a well, septic and electricity as well as a decent size building we plan to use to a storage/workshop.

Anyway..............my vote for Texas is country. Oh how I wish it were!
we can hope and wish for Texas to stand on her own feet as a country, but our elected gov'ment won't even try it.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhillbilly View Post
we can hope and wish for Texas to stand on her own feet as a country, but our elected gov'ment won't even try it.
Good luck with the new homestead
Old 04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I was born and raised in South Texas. Mostly eveybody lived further north than I did. The saying was that when you got out of Texas you were half-way there. Live in North Mississippi now but I am still a Texan. Those of you not from Texas probably don't understand that but Texans do.

Years ago I saw a tee-shirt. Wish I had one. Haven't been able to find them. It was the Great Seal of Texas but the verbage was the United States of Texas.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:27 PM

yup
we got room for 3 or 4 states I think it would work
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Red face Better Late than Never...

Hey Y'all,

Sorry I'm new and since this thread first debuted back in 2005 and is still going, I thought I would add to it. My husband and I are currently stationed in Maryland (military, not here by choice) but our home is in Texas along with all of our family, drivers license, vehicle registration, voting rights, lol.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Are we a state or country?
Michael
I reckon we could be our own country but we do get a lot of benefits from being in the union. After all, we get . . . . . hmmm, well, there's the . . . .. . OK, so there's no doubt that if we kept all that federal tax money we'd all be so stinking rich nobody would want to be around us. We need all those friends to keep us . . . well, taxed I guess. ;o)

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbieLady View Post
The saying was that when you got out of Texas you were half-way there....Those of you not from Texas probably don't understand that but Texans do.
Dad drives over the road all over. Had him on speaker phone a while back and one of the wee ones asked, "Grandpa... where are you now." He said, "Going through North Carolina." She didn't miss a beat and replied, "Oh... that's over in East Texas."
Old 09-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Well put and oh so true!! Maybe Texas should start a new trend and secede, I'm sure Arizona would follow if they don't already go first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
I reckon we could be our own country but we do get a lot of benefits from being in the union. After all, we get . . . . . hmmm, well, there's the . . . .. . OK, so there's no doubt that if we kept all that federal tax money we'd all be so stinking rich nobody would want to be around us. We need all those friends to keep us . . . well, taxed I guess. ;o)
Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 PM

I've new here, been reading along for a few days so figured it was time to say "Howdy'all!"
I'm another transplant, moved from the extremes of northern New York in 78 and have been north of the Mason Dixon line twice since I came down here.
While I currently live south of muggy Houston I'm getting ready to do some real primitive living out in the Terlingua area - have 5 acres on the desert. Going to be in a tent for a while as I get something up in the air, probably a shack just to live the winter out in, then do a little more as time and money coincide.
My real interest here is in the 'off grid' aspect of living out there, obviously the one thing I can count on is plenty of sunlight.
Enough ... I'll be reading along for a while before I start getting myself in trouble with the management.
Og, if you want to follow along on my trials and tribulatiopns I have a forum up also at (deleted - links to personal sites allowed in Member Websites, after you become a confirmed member)

Last edited by Anon001; 09-28-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:17 PM

We're headed to Granger for Thanksgiving to camp. Family coming from north of Tyler, Corpus, and Shreveport. Anyhow... the next part is...

Planning to go to the Thanksgiving Fair up near Waco on black Friday (Thank you so much for showing me this cwatson!). Anyone else going to the Fair then and want to connect my ugly mug with my username let us know I'm betting they serve coffee there with those apple cider donuts. I'm no where near the level of homesteading/prepping as yall are and it's not really a get together to help each other work or can like in that other thread, but I'd sure enjoy a cup of coffee with anyone I've met on here up at the fair.