Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:08 AM

Default Digging out a spring

There's been a wet spot on our property year-round since we bought it. A few days ago, I started digging, and hit a spring. I'm down to about six feet now. If I let the water settle for a couple days, it's ice cold and crystal clear. You can see water bubbling up out of the sand at the bottom. I was originally planning on lining it with stones, but instead I've ordered some pre-cast concrete rings. I plan to pipe the water down close to a cabin site, and perhaps to build a spring house so that we'll have refrigeration.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio13 View Post
There's been a wet spot on our property year-round since we bought it. A few days ago, I started digging, and hit a spring. I'm down to about six feet now. If I let the water settle for a couple days, it's ice cold and crystal clear. You can see water bubbling up out of the sand at the bottom. I was originally planning on lining it with stones, but instead I've ordered some pre-cast concrete rings. I plan to pipe the water down close to a cabin site, and perhaps to build a spring house so that we'll have refrigeration.
I have 3 ponds on my place, and they are spring fed. This is one of them, and has some really big springs in it, (I built the barn in the 80's)

When i was a kid, we had a pipe coming from it, going under ground to our old house, that's several hundred feet away, and the water from a big spring in that pond supplied all the water for the house, barn and milk house. We even had an outside faucet near the front garden... We never had a pump, dad just stuck a big barrel over the spring and piled some big rocks on it to hold it down. That did increase the pressure a bit, and worked just fine untill we had a new house built in 1962.

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 AM

You're lucky to have a good spring, that's worth a lot!!!
I had 3 good springs on my last place, but traded all that for a better all around value, more land, southern exposure, superior wind energy potential, better soils, 3/4 tillable and a better woods.
A good spring would have topped it off nicely. There's a spring here, but it's not a great one.

~Martin

Last edited by AlchemyAcres; 09-30-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 AM

Yes, you are lucky to have a good spring on your property. For some reason I've always wanted a spring house. So, I'm glad you have the opportunity to build one.

Do post some pix every once in a while, to let us know your progress. Now you've got to get an old fashioned water dipper. Or, perhaps, grow some dipper goards.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM

Looks great!!...I still like the idea of lining it with granite, there are several springs all around the area, in fact, in the whole state. There is one over in West Alton that I found while hunting, the whole bottom was a flat granite slab, with rock around the edges. The water was crystal clear and very refreshing after fishing up the side of the mountain. I imagine sometime way back, that was probably a popular place.
At any rate, your lucky to have the spring, can't wait to see it develop.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Master Pontificator

Default We had one at our old place

When our well pump died between contracts and Hubby wasn't working--we used the spring. Hubby filtered it with a 2nd hand jacuzzi filter we'd been using for our pool and we brought it right into the house for a while til we could fix pay to have all our pipe pulled and new pump put in.

All I can say is be very grateful.

Water is the one thing you cannot be without in any scenario of trouble coming in the future-- that is the one thing you can't 'improse around' must have water.