BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default AZ. Hello Desert Rats

Hey this is pretty nice. OK how many members from AZ. and what part. I was born in Tucson but for the last 18 years I have lived in Prescott Az. Montains, pine trees and a little snow. Anyone near me?

Thanks, Oliver
Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 AM

Default Re: AZ. Hello Desert Rats

Hi Mac. Say hi to my Uncle Scrub in Safford if you ever get around Mt Graham.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM

I live in Yuma.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 PM

David I have hunted bear on Mt. Graham. The country around Safford is pretty. Idsparamedic, I have been through Yuma a million times. Have even stopped and fished a couple times as well. I have a friend that lives their. Haven't been through as much since my mother died last feb. but still pass through to see other family. Nice to see other members living in Az.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Master Pontificator

Greetings to the other Desert Rats. Good to see other AZ folks here. The family and I are about 30 miles east of Tucson. Take care.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 05-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Master Pontificator

Went through High School in Phoenix and me and Dad had a mining claim up near Crown King, kind of on the way to Horse thief Basin. Have some great memories from up there in the Prescott National Forestů.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:59 PM

Our family has been around Arizona for a long time. We just settled down again in Duncan, about fourty-five miles east of Safford. It's so nice to see so many people from around here.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Master Pontificator

Hey Eranice, we're not to far from you. Our place is just over the New Mexico border in a little community about 20 miles north of Lordsburg called Redrock.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufhelp
Hey Eranice, we're not to far from you. Our place is just over the New Mexico border in a little community about 20 miles north of Lordsburg called Redrock.
I haven't been to Redrock before, but we drive past the turn off a lot. What's the weather like?
Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Master Pontificator

Pretty much "Tucson" like... Hot, dry, maybe 8" rainfall, scrub desert till you reach the community which is on the lower Gila river. Probably similar to Duncan...
Old 06-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Master Pontificator

Is anyone else enjoying the mild weather we have been having? Hot, but not too hot, cool in the evening. Windows open at night with a nice breeze. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and the heat to hit hard. It's been cool enough that the tomato's are still producing and we keep getting blooms. On weekends we have been working outside all through the day as it's only getting up in the 90's and after work it's comfortable because the sun is going down and not direct....
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know I think that Southern AZ is beautiful. Many years ( mid 80's) ago I was doing trips to bare mountain tops in the SW looking for the best places to put new govt radar sites. We would go in by helicopter stay on the mountain top all doing what we do and get picked up in the afternoon..

I had the privilege of staying 3 days in Gila Bend, 3 days in Ajo, and 2 weeks in Phoenix,
. we flew out of Gila Bend Air Force station , Ajo air strip and Luke.

I drove rte 86 from Ajo to Tucson.

The deseart is beautiful....

Last edited by MissouriFree; 06-19-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:58 PM

I second that motion. If I could choose another place besides KY to call home it would probably be somewhere around Benson or Tombstone. Absolutely beautiful country.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLoneRider View Post
Is anyone else enjoying the mild weather we have been having? Hot, but not too hot, cool in the evening. Windows open at night with a nice breeze. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and the heat to hit hard. It's been cool enough that the tomato's are still producing and we keep getting blooms. On weekends we have been working outside all through the day as it's only getting up in the 90's and after work it's comfortable because the sun is going down and not direct....
The rain has been awful nice too. I hope it holds out.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Master Pontificator

Hey Missouri Free and Gwhil,
The desert is nice, water and heat are the only issues.....

Eranice,
It was 101 here today, I had hoped for the cool the temps of low 90's to stay longer.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 AM

Oh man, Lone, it's still not quite hit 100 here. I'm hoping it stays this way until the monsoons come through. It'll be a miserable August though.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:45 PM

I am north of downtown Phoenix about 45 miles. BCC. Foothills of the Bradshaw MTs.
And have Property in between Ashfork and Seligman north of RT 66. The bugs were terrible the week after Memorial day.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLoneRider View Post
Hey Missouri Free and Gwhil,
The desert is nice, water and heat are the only issues.....

Eranice,
It was 101 here today, I had hoped for the cool the temps of low 90's to stay longer.
But it is a dry heat right? Just kidding. It was 96 here in Western KY yesterday. The humidity was around 85% until the thunderstorm hit. Heat index was 105
Old 06-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittey View Post
I am north of downtown Phoenix about 45 miles. BCC. Foothills of the Bradshaw MTs.
And have Property in between Ashfork and Seligman north of RT 66. The bugs were terrible the week after Memorial day.
Hi Wittey,
I have been through both Ashfork and Seligman. The bugs haven't been bad here. What are the summer tempetures where you are? I know Phx is hot, but does the 45 miles make a big difference in heat for you?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:25 AM

Smile AZ

I have been living in SE AZ, Hereford, for the past many years, tried Tucson, too hot, tried Sierra Vista hmmm oh well moved to Hereford. Its pretty nice down here since the fence was installed on the border, it made a great difference. We ranch but its so dry this year I am just a middle man between the hay broker and the animals. Most folks here are very conservative, years of fighting the illegals tends to cause that. Jobs are mostly at Fort Huachuca. Cochise county taxes are VERY high, our supervisors think we are made of gold. Feel free to ask questions...