BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight88 View Post
I have been living in SE AZ, Hereford, for the past many years, tried Tucson, too hot, tried Sierra Vista hmmm oh well moved to Hereford. Its pretty nice down here since the fence was installed on the border, it made a great difference. We ranch but its so dry this year I am just a middle man between the hay broker and the animals. Most folks here are very conservative, years of fighting the illegals tends to cause that. Jobs are mostly at Fort Huachuca. Cochise county taxes are VERY high, our supervisors think we are made of gold. Feel free to ask questions...
Hi Knight,
Welcome. Are you on a well? If so, how deep is it?
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 07-02-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLoneRider View Post
Hi Wittey,
I have been through both Ashfork and Seligman. The bugs haven't been bad here. What are the summer tempetures where you are? I know Phx is hot, but does the 45 miles make a big difference in heat for you?

It may be 5 cooler in day and 10 at night.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Well. Thought I would check back in. It's nice to see so many folks here in AZ. I have been to just about every city and town in Az. Haven't seen one listed yet I have not been through or stopped in for one reason or another. Az. is a great state with weather to suit everyone. I love this state. Born here 58 years ago and will probably die here. Prescott has nice weather but if I had a choice I think I would move to Pinetop or Heber.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Master Pontificator

That is a nice area Mac, I spent a lot of time both above and below the Rim.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 10-18-2009, 03:26 AM

Default AZ is beautiful and so much more than just desert!

Hi AZ, I guess since I am still in the middle of moving to MT and haven't yet sold the place or changed my license I can still say I'm from AZ. I've lived in Yuma, Payson, Flagstaff, Prescott and all parts of Phoenix over the last 31 years and loved the state. My favorite area of all is out on the Mogollon Rim. I have a fond memory of watching the sunset on a cloudy day from inside the fire tower west of the Young Rd (512 if I remember right). I highly recommend anyone visiting AZ to find a way to see the Mogollon Rim (pronounced Muggeeyawn) during your travels at least once in life. I was living in Payson when they rebuilt Zane Grey's cabin in the west part of town in 2005. Heck, I played 8 man 1A football in high school all over the state... Orme, Heber, Joseph City, Mayer, Seligman, Fredonia, Patagonia... fun times.

I'm gonna miss the beauty and incomparable variety of AZ, and as a native, I still love the state, but it doesn't feel like the AZ I grew up in anymore. My mom's side all live there still in Mesa and Flagstaff though, so I will have an excuse to visit. For me, Phoenix is populating too fast (notice the 7 digit license plates and 5 area codes, I miss the 602 under a million people days) with liberals and I fear that soon the state majority will change from red to blue. Poor Sherriff Joe has his work cut out for him too, the media don't want to let him do his job. Propane Jane didn't do AZ any favors in my opinion.

I sure hope that they figure out a way to get the budget back in order and outlaw those stinking radar cameras. They're illegal (violation of privacy) up here in MT where I am moving to. They also don't charge sales tax or forest access fees up here, no emissions anywhere and you can get a permanent plate for 10+ year old vehicles for $200 one time fee. Plenty of water and cheaper electricity (7 cents per KWh 24/7) up here too. Just a few of many reasons I'm leaving, but the biggest factor for me was that the budget is balanced with a surplus up here, over the counter deer tags and better care for veterans. Downsides are daylight savings time, you pay a bit more (double for me on equal values and offset easily by yearly sales tax savings) for property tax. The climate/scenery around Missoula is like Heber/Show Low but at less than 3,000 ft elevation. Still a dry rocky mountain climate though, so if you don't mind the cold/snow it is pretty nice. Honestly, if I could afford to retire at this age and keep both places I would, but fantasyland is not for me.

knight88, I helped build some of that border fence down by Cabeza Prieta Wildlife Refuge and Organpipe National Monument west of Lukeville/Ajo back in 07-08. Talk about a job that was dangerously fun and yet strange (Davis Bacon wage wise). I had my doubts about it's effectiveness back then due to how the section we were on was designed (a vehicle barrier you could walk right over/under made out of steel posts and decommissioned railroad track). I suspect the design near you is different (the people barriers east of Lukeville made more sense since they actually stopped people) though so I was happy to hear that it is making a difference. Did they ever put up the expensive camera watchtowers for the border patrol in your area?

Anyways, I am glad to meet so many people from my home state and I hope you all have a wonderful perfect AZ warm (not hot) day. I'll miss those too here in a couple more weeks.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Hello from Cottonwood AZ. You do any training with any of the self defense teachers in the Prescott Area? You have some very good ones some I feel that our way better then Gun Site
Old 11-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostone1413 View Post
Hello from Cottonwood AZ. You do any training with any of the self defense teachers in the Prescott Area? You have some very good ones some I feel that our way better then Gun Site
I have't but plan on going up to that area one day and doing some excersizes with some a couple of them. Right now money is what stops that from happening.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Cottonwood? I make a trip over that direction a couple times a week. Camp Verde jail to be exact. Cottnwood is nice. A little warmer than Prescott but you guys have the Verde River and fishing on the Verde is nice. The reason we have good instructors here in Prescott is because many of them have trained at gunsite as well as every other program they can get envolved with. They are a commited group of guys and gals. We have a pretty good training calender considering the economy and price of ammo. I do my Milo and gun Qual. next month. I host the Prescott Trap and Skeet club as well so I get to practic a lot. Anyways, enough about me. Glad to see so many folks respond to our state post. Hope to keep in touch with all of you as well. Keep safe. Not all the bad guys are behind bars.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM

I agree with having the best. I've trained mostly with Matt Sheibert and Gabe Suarez. Matt style is more modern Tec. More like Gunsite. Gabe is more the way most self defense situations would be. Allots of moving as you draw and moving as you fire and allot of Force on Force training. It best to train both ways. But with Gabe best have your gun handling down pretty pat. Big difference in drawing and shooting when on the move. His classes our at the Yavapai Rec Center so being outside allows that type of training plus Gabe himself has been in some shoot outs so he pretty well knows what will work and what won't Matt has his classes at High Noon Gun Shop. Being indoors limits the training more to the modern tec style

Matts style is more shot placement while Gabes style is to get the most lead in the BG in the shortest amount of time
Old 10-14-2014, 06:26 PM

I know this is a ghostly thread from Christmas Pass...

I am in Yuma as well... I do not believe I would homestead out here though, too darn hot, water table isn't that far down around here... but this isn't where I (or the wife) wants to stay...

We wouldn't mind some seasons, and elevation...