Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Used Canning Lids

My husband and I were talking last night about if TSHTF and the preps that we already have in place. One of those was a nice stockpile of canning lids. Well what would happen if there was an extended situation and a year or two passed and you weren't able get them anymore once your stockpile was used up?

I have a friend who regularly uses canning lids twice. I am not comfortable doing this, but she swears that they are just as good the second time around. As long as they dont bend when removed from the jar after the first use.

What I normally do is wash the lids and throw them into the recycle box with my other metal cans. I think that from now on I am going to wash and dry the flat ones, and put them in a box and stash them away. It wouldn't cost me anything to save them and maybe someday I might be glad I did.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Not a bad idea in case there is a TSHTF.

I save a lot of mine, anyway, although I haven't reused them for canning. Do use them for non-canning purposes. Storing dry goods, for example. Since I use a Sharpie to date the lids, it's easy to keep them from getting mixed up with misc used ones.

Used lids would be the basis for kids to make Christmas tree ornaments. Spray paint and drill a hole for the hanger. Then let the kids decorate. Older kids can drill star patterns, and such in them using a template.

Used lids can be attached with silicone to cover a hole where a wire or gas line has been removed. If paintable silicone caulk has been used the whole thing can be painted and will almost disappear.

Kids can make "wind chimes" from used lids. (Save the slighly bent ones for purposes like this one.)

Think I'll pull out some of my used lids to see how well they'll work when vacuum sealing jars. (Haven't tried that yet, so can't say that it will work.)

Finally, I'm hoping that, if we indeed have a TSHTF, situation, that within a fairly short period of time lids will be available, because there'll be such a high demand for them. As will, I hope, a lot of the "old fashioned" / "old timey" things that are hard to find today. Not much hope of that, however if we get a TEOTWAWKI.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Inactive Member

I never throw out a used lid. I place them upside down on my jars when I store them. I would guess if SHTF we would all be forced to go back to the old ways of preserving foods. One that comes to mind is butchering in the fall and hanging the meat from the barn rafters after it has been salted down. Then you just cut off what you need as you need it. Or butchering a rooster only when you're ready for a chicken dinner. Root cellars to store vegetables.

I don't believe in the SHTF. But, for those that do, they should be learning the old ways of food preservation and food prep that has been handed down for thousands of years.

Paul
Old 10-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Master Pontificator

Here is an idea:

http://www.vacuumpacker.com/index.ph...e/cat_id/34678

I saw a video recently (can't find it right now) about re-using lids on canning jars for vacuum sealing it is NOT THE SAME AS CANNING but if you are going to store DRY ITEMS (I.E. DRIED BEANS, PASTA, SEEDS, ETC) and you are going to use canning jars you can reuse those used lids with the vacuum jar attachment to seal the tops oF your jars wuth a vacuum. NO DOWNSIDE THERE.

Personally I'm NOT comfortable trusting them for pressure canning of wet foods, no reason just personal high level of caution!

JUST AN IDEA FOR WHATEVER ITS WORTH.

Last edited by gunsmoke; 10-10-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
Here is an idea:

http://www.vacuumpacker.com/index.ph...e/cat_id/34678

I saw a video recently 9can't find it right now) about re-using lids on canning jars for vacuum sealing it is NOT THE SAME AS CANNING but if you are going to store DRY ITEMS (I.E. DRIED BEANS, PASTA, SEEDS, ETC) and you are going to use canning jars you can reuse those used lids with the vacuum jar attachment to seal the tops oF your jars wuth a vacuum. NO DOWNSIDE THERE.

Personally I'm NO"T comfortable trusting them for pressure canning of wet foods, no reason just personal high level of caution!

JUST AN IDEA FOR WHATEVER ITS WORTH.
This sounds like a good idea. I'm also not comfortable reusing them for pressure canning either, but I open them carefully and save all my lids. I also keep a three year supply of lids on hand at all times. If things went south after that it would be the old ways of a smoke house and root cellar.

Judy
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 PM

It's not just the bent lids that could cause problems with canning, The lids also have a flexible sealant that becomes soft when heated and adheres closely to the rim of the jars. This is also where the expanding steam escapes from inside the jars as they are canning. That's why the lids suck down and seal on the jar. A vacuum is formed as the jars cool and air can not get back in through the sealant. If you reuse the lids this sealant may be damaged and not adhere to the rim or allow air into the jar. So in a SHTF situation. once we run out of canning lids (also known as sealing caps) we will need to rely on other forms of preservation, at least until someone starts making them again.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLee View Post
Not a bad idea in case there is a TSHTF.

Used lids would be the basis for kids to make Christmas tree ornaments. Spray paint and drill a hole for the hanger. Then let the kids decorate. Older kids can drill star patterns, and such in them using a template.
When I was a kid, we made ornaments in Bible School with canning jar lids. They took a photo of us, and cut it to fit in the lid, with the red rubber still showing as a frame. Then we glued a ribbon on the back to hang it from the tree. You could also glue a magnet and put it on the fridge.
Quote:

Think I'll pull out some of my used lids to see how well they'll work when vacuum sealing jars. (Haven't tried that yet, so can't say that it will work.)
I did some of this last week with some dehydrated stuff I had opened. Worked just great. Now I do not have to worry about my celery and cabbage. The celery had been opened for a while and I was starting to worry. Can say this, I don't plan on wasting my money on fresh celery from the grocery store again, where I end up throwing away so much of the stalk. My main uses are cornbread dressing and meatloaf anyway, so you cannot tell it was not fresh.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:28 PM

I keep all my used canning lids that aren't damaged (rust, dents, or torn sealant ring), but like NCLee, all the used ones have dates on them in Sharpie, so easy to keep new and used separated.

I often use the used lids for leftovers to be kept in the fridge - stuff like opening a can of olives or mushrooms for pizza and only using part of them; homemade ranch dressing, etc.

We store up lots of new lids, just to make sure we don't get caught short. I guess if new ones became unavailable for a long enough time for us to use up what we have, I'd start carefully inspecting the used ones and re-use the best ones...
Old 10-12-2009, 01:26 AM

In 1974 there was a hoarding and shortage of canning lids and people started reusing lids, which also resulted in a startling increase in poisoning cases. Not recommended.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:37 AM

I mark all my used lids with a big X with a permanent marker. I use those for leftovers in the fridge and dry goods vacuum sealed in jars and just storage of dry goods.
I bought 10 packs of flats every time I went to the Dollar General this year ( $1 a box). Next year I will be buying the whole box that they have on the shelf And I may go to another one and do the same thing just to get stocked up on them.
If I ever run out, then I'll have to go to drying all the foods and smoking and drying the meats and using a root cellar ( which I'm hinting VERY hard at with the hubby right now lol).
Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 AM

I know, especially at the smaller grocery stores, in their clearance cart there is almost always some canning lids or rings/lids combo -- usually marked a quarter but I've been known to spend as much as 50˘. Last spring when the grocery store in town was changing hands I hit the jackpot and bought an entire milk crate of lids for $5.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:28 PM

Talking re-used canning lids

i re-use them.if i get a jam jar from the store.i re-use them.they do seal.it is not what u are suppose to do.i also get tons of boxes at yard sales of canning lids.25 cents a box.that is always cool.sometimes u need to check them and make sure they are not so stuck together u can not get them apart.i save all jars and lids that are re-useable.hugs rae-dean
Old 10-14-2009, 03:37 PM

A while back I bought some reusable canning lids on ebay. They are made by Tattler, and aren't produced anymore. The man selling them is selling off the stock from the family company (if I remember the story right).

I bought a dozen to try, and used them to water bath can jam and sauerkraut. They worked great, and I've reused a couple of them and they worked fine the second and third time.

I just did some Internet searching and can't find them for sale on eBay or anywhere else. But here is a post from Homesteading Today from the Stieg family, who invested the Tattler lid. They are expensive, but can be reused indefinitely:

Quote:
This product was developed to fill a need for a re-usable home canning jar lid. It does everything it is claimed to. We do guarantee them to last a lifetime or we will replace it free, we have never had a request for a single lid.
They work in any accepted method of use, pressure cooker, boiler, etc. They come with a rubber ring which is also re-usable so long as it is not damaged, (cut or stretched).
They are especially desirable for acid foods, pickles, peppers, tomatoes etc., since the will not corrode. We have only recently disposed of product that was canned over 20 years ago and they were still tightly sealed. (We did not and do not recommend use of food with extended age, this was only furnished as interesting info.)
The current trend toward home canning has renewed our thought of going back into production due to demand.
As I posted, a word of caution, some time ago a quantity of Quality Control rejected product “disappeared”. Be wary, we are not currently selling on e-bay for this reason. A bargain is not always a bargain. We will not guarantee product purchased on the secondary market. Be safe, purchase only from the original manufacturer and producer.
Current pricing is as follows.
3 dozen pak of Regular size $19.95
3 dozen pak of Wide Mouth $22.95
Extra rubber rings @ $2.50 per dozen.
Shipping will be calculated to destination.
We accept all major credit cards except American Express. There is a 5% Credit card processing fee (sorry but that’s what the cc companies charge). Checks and money orders must clear prior to shipping. Product ships within 10 days of cleared payment.
Payment address is Loren Stieg, 20217 US 10, Reed City, Mich., 49677
Thank you for your interest in our product.
e-mail orders accepted lcstieg@sbcglobal.net
Regular mail orders accepted, Loren C. Stieg, 20217 U.S. 10, Reed City, Mi., 49677
Old 10-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Thank you for posting this! I have never heard of them before. Definitely going to do some research on it. THanks again.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Inactive Member

That sounds great. I think I may even check into that.

Paul
Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 PM

do you get the feeling that jars and lids have become a lot flimsier over the years? I used to always sue lids again, but they definitely are not as sturdy and bend easy and also the coating on the inside scratches away easy. I tried a couple of them and they did not hold. I have always used jars from the store with twist on lids and have had the best results with these. I never used them in a pressure canner though.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 PM

When I store and use new lids, I still check the rubber seal to be sure it isn't damaged in any way before I use it.

Storing lids in cool places is far better than taking a chance of risking damage to the rubber seal by storing it where the lid can get too warm.

It might just be my imagination, but it seems to me the rubber seals aren't as thick and durable as they were many years ago.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Inactive Member

It seems to me it hasn't been all that long that they got thinner.

Paul
Old 10-15-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanNerd View Post
In 1974 there was a hoarding and shortage of canning lids and people started reusing lids, which also resulted in a startling increase in poisoning cases. Not recommended.
We always reused them. Just boil in baking soda water. The only major problem I have ever seen was when I tried to can tomatoes without processing the jars after canning. I know it sounds stupid now, but back then the lady that showed me how to do that said she always did her tomatoes that way. "Hot pack them in a clean jar and they will keep." It didn't work that way for my jars of tomatoes. They blew their tops within a couple of weeks. But we never tried them, so nobody got sick.

We have only had food poisoning twice, and both times it was from chinese food not my canning. You would have thought we would have learned the first time!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post
We always reused them.
It's your life and you can live it any way you want, but I also would not recommend that everyone become an Evil Knievel or drive around without wearing seat belts, etc. History has shown what results from such risks. If it doesn't happen to you (yet) you can consider yourself fortunate.