Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Notices

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Default Using expired cans of food

DH thinks he is going to get sick if he eats something that has expired, even it the can is in perfect condition. LOL I sneaked a can of tomato sauce, in a perfect can, into some spaghetti sauce and he said it was better than usual (I did use some new spices that my mother sent me recently), the tomato sauce expired in '07.

I also used some canned corn recently that had expired in '06. No problem. My theory is if the can is in excellent condition I will use it. Usually the dates say "best used" by.

What's your take on using canned food with expired dates?

Judy

Old 10-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Canned food loses nutritional value and appeal over time, but it's still edible after literal decades.

http://www.backwoodssurvivalblog.com...udies-two.html

I joined the Marines in 1976, and remember eating canned C-rations dated 1945.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Inactive Member

It wouldn't bother me to eat foods that are expired as long as the can is still in good shape with no bulging or anything.

Home canned foods are the same. They will last for years. Even very little nutritional value is better than no food. lol

By the way. I get to thinking about things and come up with some doozies (sp?).

For example. If the can or jar is sealed and kept in a dark place, they say that over time it loses nutritional value? so... My question is, Where does it go? lol

Paul
Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 AM

Default out dated foods

i use them.no one knows.i got a case of canned juice from some kind of government thingy.It was at a yard sale.i think i was from W.I.C. before they let u just go to the regular store to get foodstuffs.i got a case of juice for 10 cents a can.the big juice cans. i bought them up.
Last weekend i went to a yard sale and they had alot of outdated(not by much)refried spicy beans for 50 cents a can...i got boxes and boxes of spaghetti noodles for 50 cents a box.and some other stuff.all good deals.no one knows in our family...If they did they would be all persnickety.so i just cook away and feed everyone for cheap.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Master Pontificator

My dads girlfriend is just nuts and i,am glad of it. Every other month she takes her can food and use to throw it away, then she would go buy more, it has the same date on most of it. Expires say in 2010 then buys more thats 2011. I get those old wore out used outa date can stuff. Fine with me. I also buy up at fleamarkets and yardsales when i can. Opned a can of my pickled beets from 03 the other day and they were fantastic. I guess it comes down to plain old common sense.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Thanks for all the input. I did find a couple of cans of stewed tomatoes today, expired a couple of years ago, and the tops just didn't look flat enough (LOL they are probably okay) but I did throw those out.

I've got a couple of large cans of Crisco that I bought last year and I'm sticking them in the fridge out in the garage (should have already done that). I just never use crisco but I felt it was good to keep some on hand. I might get a wild hair to bake something. I use to make pie crusts from scratch when I made holiday pies and I could use some for that. Back in the middle 80's I taught my oldest son (he's 32 now) how to make pies and he took over the pie making for the family. A few years ago he stated bitching about having to make the pie crusts and I told him to just get the ready made, no one in his wife's family would notice anyway (they wouldn't know how to make something from scratch if it hit them up side the head).

Boy did I digress. LOL

Judy
Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I found about a gallon of corn oil my dad bought a long time ago. I was going to use it, but it had a rancid smell to it, so i took it out and poured it into my diesel tractors fuel tank.

At least i didn't have to throw it away! lol

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
I found about a gallon of corn oil my dad bought a long time ago. I was going to use it, but it had a rancid smell to it, so i took it out and poured it into my diesel tractors fuel tank.

At least i didn't have to throw it away! lol

DM
My FIL was going to toss out a few bottles of olive oil that expired in 2002. I took them, and put them in my oil lamps. I actually think they would have been fine to use anyway, but they burn good too. Free food/free fuel is always a good thing.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post
My FIL was going to toss out a few bottles of olive oil that expired in 2002. I took them, and put them in my oil lamps. I actually think they would have been fine to use anyway, but they burn good too. Free food/free fuel is always a good thing.
I would use rancid cooking/olive oil for lamp oil in a heartbeat. No sense in letting it go to waste. I have a few gallons of cooking oil stored. And I have one open, whenever I use some I give it the smell test because they are all at least a year old. I keep all the bottles covered with a cloth, don't know why except it seemed like a good idea to keep them in the "dark".

Judy
Old 10-30-2009, 08:25 PM

Regarding nutritional value, it happens at the molecular level I believe.
Light energy going thru glass jars actually degrades the food molecules, albeit very slowly.

And oxygen does the same thing, especially thru thin plastic bags, & even thicker plastic juice bottles.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Inactive Member

Back in '94/'95, I was on deployment and we had what I think was lasagna, similar to the encor or banquest family meals. It was Gov Issue in a green painted metal container. The date stamp said 1968. It tasted great. Wasn't much to look at though.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbarto View Post
Back in '94/'95, I was on deployment and we had what I think was lasagna, similar to the encor or banquest family meals. It was Gov Issue in a green painted metal container. The date stamp said 1968. It tasted great. Wasn't much to look at though.
B Rations I think is what they were/are called, yum.

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership

Last edited by Teg; 11-01-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: clarified
Old 10-31-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine View Post
DH thinks he is going to get sick if he eats something that has expired, even it the can is in perfect condition.

What's your take on using canned food with expired dates?

Judy
I do it all the time. We were laughing last night because my FIL dug out some cherries from their freezer with the date 1995 on them. Then he sent them over here! We actually fed those to the chickens, but I did use a bag of his 2002 cranberries. I also used some olive oil that expired in 2005. They were both fine. I don't think the man ever cleans his freezer or pantry.

If your DH doesn't know, it won't hurt him. I have tomatoes on the shelf that are 4yrs old right now, that I am working on using up.