BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default can I use this gizmo

I have always stirred my soap by hand. Getting tired of it. I am wondering, could I use one of those mixing things that you attach to a power drill? Looks like my recipies are old fashioned, I stir my lotions with a glass stick by hand. But it is time consuming and tiresome.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 AM

Default soap stir

I use a stirrer that i bought for about 10 dollars, i think it is used to make smoothies and shakes. You find it were the store sells mixers and appliances like that. It works great and traces your soap in no time at all. Well worth the cost.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:49 AM

I think it should work, OK, as long as you have a variable speed drill. Something else that would work would be to chuck an electric mixer beater into a variable speed drill. May have to file off those little tabs that lock them into place.

The beaters are probably a much better size than most of the paint stirrers that I've seen.

Sher is right that a "boat paddle" (hand held blender) would work fine, if you can find one at a good price. Don't see them very often around here at second hand sources, however. But, they do show up every once in a while.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:11 PM

If it is what I think it is then it is too small. I have about 30 to fourty pounds of beautiful tallow and I do not want to do it in little batches. wouldn't a mixer beat a lot of air into it?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:09 AM

If you're working with BIG batches, a paint stirrer on an variable speed drill would be a good way to go.

Using a beater chucked in a variable speed drill can be slowed down enough so that it doesn't whip air into the mixture. At low speed, it's stirring, not beating.

Here's a link to a hand held blender (also called an immersion blender). This is just a representative as there are many on the market at a variety of prices and quality. http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KHB.../dp/B00008GSA4

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:26 PM

We used to use a paint mixer on a drill to mash the big vat of cooked beans at the Mexican restaurant. I think it would work for your purpose.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:33 PM

I just now got around to make a double batchh of soap.The Paintstirer did the trick. I still have a lot of grease, so want to make that soft soap in a five gallon bucket oldtimer posted. I hope it turns out like the stuff my mom used. I sure miss that