BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default VA - Roll Call

I got a little jealous seeing all the other states and thought I would add mine. Born and raised in the Northern Neck now living in NoVA.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Default Re: VA - Roll Call

I can't believe there is no one else here from VA. :-/
Old 02-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivahmom
I can't believe there is no one else here from VA. * :-/
Me, neither. Lynchburg, here.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Banned

Danville signing in. Sorry I am late for Roll CALL SIR, I mean Madem. Didn't wake up in time. LOL.
That got me a few atricle 15's in the army.
I am about dead center of the Va. NC line and a rocks throw to it.
It was a pretty good place to grow up but I dislike it more every day. Wish we could go back to the 60's....
Dennis
Old 02-22-2009, 01:58 PM

Headed to Va shortly - hopefully to a homestead between Radford and Floyd. Maybe to a short term apartment if need be but VA none the less!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Banned

Where are you ate now, Deberosa?
I would do a lot of checking on taxes, codes, laws, etc. before I moved to Va. I don't think there is a state in the union that I would pack up about 68 acres and move to if it were possible.
I have lived all up the east and gulf coast, from one time or another all the way from NY to Texas. Working shut downs mostly, but this is the worse state I ever lived in in my life.
It's pretty. And where you are talking about is the prettiest part of it. Daddy grew up in Pulaski County right there at it but the laws and the taxes are horrible.
This will be the first state that ever has a tax on cow and pig farts and I'd bet the farm on it.
Think twice before you move here.
Does anyone else feel this way so she'll know?
Good luck.
Dennis
Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM

About time ya'll checked in. I was feeling lonely. ;D
Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberosa
Headed to *Va shortly - hopefully to a homestead between Radford and Floyd. *Maybe to a short term apartment if need be but VA none the less!
Welcome to Virginia

Virginia is one of the prettiest states in our country.. and I have seen 48 of them...

The area you're talking about is without a doubt one of the most beautiful sections... there is very little there now, except what God had created.. .. it will probably stay that way for a long time... the entire western part of Virginia is breath taking..

Near the area you're talking about is home to Virginia Tech...

Rte 81 will fill your eyes with the Shenandoah Valley and beautiful mountain ridges of Virginia and West Virginia.. it's a no toll road... thank the Tax payers for this engineered marval..

Skyline drive will give you an adventure you will not forget... this drive was construction by the CC boys... driving along the ridges of the Shenandoah Mountains at 35 miles an hour ... stopping to let the deer cross... you're sure to see an occassional bear (don't feed them.. they bite... ) hiking trails at every turn... the Park Ranger will give you a map and news letter when you enter .. this will give directions to all the trails... rest stops and over looks... plan on spending allot of time on this drive.. bring a camera... always be ready for the bear shot...

Central Virginia is home of the states capital, Richmond.. interesting city, well worth a visit.. allot of history.. north of that is Historical Fredericksburg... again.. worth a visit.. I wouldn't go any further north of the Burg unless you like allot of stand still traffic and way too many people per square foot... to the East of the Fredericksbrug is the Rappahannock River and the Potomac River.. beautiful towns all along the way to the Chesapeake Bay..

East of Richmond is Norfolk ... this entire area is again worth a visit.. Historical James Town.. a must see... Williamsburg... Norfolk and Portsmouth has the largest Naval port in the world... it's almost overwhelming to stand on a pier and look up at an American Air Craft Carrier... or an American Battleship... your heart will fill with pride as you take it all in..

If you like the beach... next to norfolk there's Virginia Beach... this is were everyone from Northern Virginia travels too every weekend during the summer... a good place to avoid in the summer...

Virginia beech is also home to one of the two Chesapeake Bay Bridges... this bridge takes you to the eastern shore... this narrow strip of land turns into Maryland after a 70 mile trip... then Delware if you go east from there.. ocean on the east.. Bay on the west... what's not to love about the Eastern Shore..

Well there you have it... a tour of one of the prettiest states we have in our Country..

Old 02-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Master Pontificator

P.S... as far as taxes go...

We have a state income tax...
a 5%sales tax..
and then allot of counties have their own taxes for real estate and personal property..
one Gov. tried to get rid of the car tax.. but it did not go away entirely.. so be prepared to pay pay pay... our current Gov. has been trying to get more money out of Virginians sense he's been in office... * *

Over all I would say it's pretty much the same as most of our states.. * we do have 7 states that do not have an income tax.. *

The people in the Floyd area are all so down to earth, gracious and humble.. they will open their arms and welcome you into their homes.. feed you some fried chicken .. grits and corn beard all with a sometimes toothless smile.. but none the less.. a smile...
Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Pardon the intrusion from Florida. 8) Just looking for info on the Victoria area. Is that in the mountains. I'm 7 feet above sea level here, so a bump to you is a mountain to me. I'm just looking around for a place to put my "mobile mansion" in case one of those nasty hurricane's wants to come my way!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Master Pontificator

Victory is west of Richmond.. country .. rolling pastures... no mountains.. but not that far from the mountains.. probably a real nice area to settle in... allot colder then Florida that's for sure..
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampster
Victory is west of Richmond.. country .. rolling pastures... no mountains.. but not that far from the mountains.. * probably a real nice area to settle in... * allot colder then Florida that's for sure..
Hi Hampster...Is the "Victory" you stated the same as Victoria?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Master Pontificator

snake.. yes... lol.. I apologize for the typo... or must have had something else on my mind..
Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampster
snake.. yes... lol.. I apologize for the typo... or must have had something else on my mind..
No apology needed! Thanks for the information, and yup....it is colder up there, than here.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberosa
Headed to *Va shortly - hopefully to a homestead between Radford and Floyd. *Maybe to a short term apartment if need be but VA none the less!
That is a beautiful area. Best of luck on your move.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Inactive Member

I don't live in VA yet, but our bug out location is near Meadows of Dan. I can't wait until we can finally move there. We have a small piece of property (2.5 acres) on the Dan River with a spring and a crappy old trailer. But, it is paid for ;D
Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Yep, another Va girl here, and yes, I love it here too. There are other states I would like to look at but never would be able to get my husband to consider that.We live in Yorktown, but I go to the Northern Neck all of the time to visit a daughter.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Banned

My father was from Floyd county and it was a great place with friendly people the last time I was there. Been a while tho, but I am sure it still beats where I am at now.
Best of luck to you there Deb.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 AM

Default a little late

I know that this thread is a little old but I just started.

Anyway.... Roanoke area here. Any Viginians still on this site?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Master Pontificator

I am still here. With the winter here I will be around more. I live in SW Va mountains of Pulaski County.
Pasture and Woodlot Raised Pork