BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Michiganders?

Anyone from the arm pit of the Midwest? :P
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Michiganders?

Well I'm living in the Kalamazoo area right now for my job, but I'm originally from Ohio. Talk about a fish outta water....lol
I do like this area, except for those three dirty words, LAKE EFFECT SNOW!!
Someone turn off the damn snow machine would ya!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Master Pontificator

LOL,you get used to the lake effect,I live in the Hart area,north of Muskegon about 40 miles,and we get plenty of snow storms here,they call my area and north of me the snowbelt,and for good reason,in the snow storm earlier before christmas we got over 2 ft in about 4 days!worst storm I remember since 77-78 and 78-79
Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 AM

Holding it down in Cadillac.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Inactive Member

Staying warm in Fairview

Charlie
Old 01-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Hauseienda

Trying to stay warm in Gregory by night and not go crazy in my daily snowy, icy commutes to and from Dearborn.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 PM

I'm originally from Michigan. I've lived in Hazel Park, Madison Heights, Highland Park (YUCK!), Detroit, Warren, Brown City, and Yale. I'm in Kentucky now, though (I love it here!)
Old 01-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Double Digit Unemployment!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 PM

From SE Mich...I dream of living up north...based on Linda's discovery explained below...I dunno now.....

Re-wilding Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Posted by Linda Goldthorpe on 12/30/08 04:55 AM
Last updated 12/30/08 05:18 AM

[Newer: Our Politicians Diminish Us All] [Older: Russian professor predicted 2010 demise of US--ten years ago!]

There’s an old joke where I live. It goes like this: 99 percent of Michigan drivers hit ice and say, “oh, shit!” The rest are Yoopers ( as in U-P'ers) who hit ice and say, “hold my beer…and watch this shit!” Truth is, we ARE very good drivers and road ice is little impediment to the very long drives that make up much of our lives. Consider also the fact that there are only about 350,000 people in the UP; and it makes me wonder why the Michigan Department of Transportation has undertaken the expensive task of installing several different types of weather sensors in and surrounding our few roads.

In early December, I heard on local radio that sensors were being installed in the surface of roads for weather observation. Digging up a road surface is a tremendous undertaking, as we all know, requiring diversion of traffic, man-hours, equipment—money, money, money. And weather observation, while important, is already being accomplished by many established means. RWIS, or Road Weather Information Systems use lots of different technologies in lots of different places.

Also new to the landscape are the freestanding tower-type monitors that have appeared along the major east-west routes. According to the MDOT information, there will be twenty of them soon. A picture of one of these units is here: http://www.nritsconference.org/downl...ns/F1Boyce.pdf

I have a friend who worked as a meteorologist for the National Weather Service. I used to help her send up her balloon and watch as she precisely recorded more information than she could ever evaluate. These new tower-units have many more gadgets than she used to monitor weather at the federal government itself, just a few years ago—and they could even land the space shuttle with the data!

Of course I’m just cynical enough to assume that monitoring weather is not the intended function of this equipment, especially when I read about how Oregon is pondering the value of charging vehicles for miles driven, and knowing that electronic equipment in cars can be shut off by remote means. We also know that vehicles crossing the Mackinac Bridge are monitored by parabolic audio equipment and that the amount of cash in your car is recorded. Still, I find it most curious, that all this new equipment is only to be installed in the Upper Peninsula.

According to maps published with the United Nations’ materials discussing Agenda 21, the Upper Peninsula has too many people. The optimal population for this VAST region is determined to be 30,000 humans. The current economic environment is definitely helping accomplish this goal, but what of us who wish to stay?

I maintain that the Upper Peninsula has long been viewed as an open portal to globalist government. Unlawful property acquisitions, policies discouraging self-reliance, conservationist overkill, discouraging industry, oppressive regulation—all these have been used to move us into the cities. And now that houses are so cheap in Detroit, it’s working better.

Agenda 21 uses terms like “rural cleansing” and “human resettlement.” “Sustainability” is one that is real popular with genuine environmental types, who are misled into believing that preserving the environment is an actual goal of the program. My personal favorite, though, is “rewilding.” Even if it weren’t arrogant to think you can out-nature nature, artificially transporting animals into habitat where they are not native doesn't do the environment any good at all. Moose and whitetail deer don’t live together normally, and suffer health consequences when they do…not to mention my neighbor’s cows whose tails were chewed off by wolves--in the barn!

Our congressman was one of the co-sponsors of the original legislation attempting to codify Agenda 21 into US law. It failed in 1993, but the plan rolls on anyway. Now his 2008 campaign manager has been named head of the Department of Natural Resources for the Upper Peninsula. I think we know what to expect.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:35 AM

I thought the UP was part of Canada? C'mon, it's autos, tourism or die in MI.

:P
Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Master Pontificator

Holdin down the fort in Jackson MI here about 50 miles south of Lansing. My family is from the UP and godwilling I will relocate my family there someday. The hard part is that my family is from Iron country michigan on the west side of the superior state.. a long haul to vacation. I would love to find a place to have a cabin on the east side, maybe near escanaba.

anyhoo... good to hear from the BWH readers in godscountry.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 PM

swedishfish...I really love your signature line....perfect like da UP, eh? ;D
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Master Pontificator

you betcha nowknowye
Old 02-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Inactive Member

Hey..grew up in Escanaba for 18 yrs, guess i classify as a "yooper", but your right about the winter driving, that's why i never had to take a drivers test for my license..Sheriff asked who drove to town in the blizzard and after he found out it was me, he told me I had just passed the driving test. There is lost sof land up there but terrible job situation.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishfish
Holdin down the fort in Jackson MI here about 50 miles south of Lansing. My family is from the UP and godwilling I will relocate my family there someday. The hard part is that my family is from Iron country michigan on the west side of the superior state.. a long haul to vacation. I would love to find a place to have a cabin on the east side, maybe near escanaba.

anyhoo... good to hear from the BWH readers in godscountry.
I'm on the other end of M-50 - Monroe. I have a relative in Ironwood.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Master Pontificator

middle of the west coast close to beautiful Lake Michigan beaches,living life in farm country on 52 acres in my wifes familys homestead,and loving it,good hunting,good fishing and good farming all = good times
Old 02-12-2009, 12:52 AM

If a person were wanting to rent a farm in the UP, where would you look? My friends up there say you have to talk to people once your there but thats a catch 22. We have to stay somewhere, while we look and talk to folks. Any help you could give would be appreciated!

Thanks
Jamie
Old 02-14-2009, 04:28 AM
Master Pontificator

Jamie,you may want to try craigslist,they have a section just for rentals,just a thought.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Inactive Member

I live near midland now, was born and raised in Brown City.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:15 AM

Tried that, not much on there. I am told you have to be there and talk to folks.

Thank you for responding.