BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Building/Tools

Building/Tools Anything to do with construction, remodeling, etc.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 PM

Default Freshening Asphalt Shingles

Howdy All,

My roof is about 15 years old and the black asphalt shingles are just about grey now. The roof itself isn't leaking and it's not missing any shingles yet but I know it's only going to last a few more years.

I sure wish I could either spray, roll, or brush some kind of product on the shingles to get more life out of them. Any ideas or am I crazy for asking?

No_Trespassing
Old 12-13-2009, 10:16 PM

You're asking the impossible. All you can do is either replace them, or cover them with another layer (Most roofs can handle up to three layers).

Let me explain asphalt shingles to you.

They're made of an asphalt-soaled cloth, and covered with gravel. The three parts work together.

The fabric, naturally, lets us sell them by the package and instal them as individual pieces.

The asphalt seals out the water.

The gravel is what gives the roof it's fire resistance - AND protects the asphalt from the sun. Sunlight breaks down asphalt.

Once you lose the gravel to any extent, it's only a question of how long it will take for the sun to destroy the asphalt.

It's time to re-roof.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Trespassing View Post
I sure wish I could either spray, roll, or brush some kind of product on the shingles to get more life out of them. Any ideas or am I crazy for asking?

No_Trespassing
I'm pondering a similar question but I came from a different angle. . . wanting to increase the reflectivity of the roof in hopes of keeping us a bit cooler in the Texas sun.

My research led me to this:
http://www.hytechsales.com/roofcoatings.html

But I don't know if it's worthwhile. What I do know is that we have 3 layers of shingles, the youngest being over 20 years old, so it might be worth a gamble on this coating in order to get another 5 - 10 years out of what we have.

I'm not recommending this product, more like hoping someone has some experience with it or similar products.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:16 PM

Walking around on the old shingles will do more damage than coating them will help.

Shingleing over shingles, will really shorten the life of the new shingles.

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 AM

Personally, I'd go ahead and start planning to have the old shingles removed and install new ones, when you can.

If you have 20 year shingles, they'll probably start failing over the next couple of years or so. Ours did.

While the warranty on shingles sounds good on the surface, it really isn't material for the long haul. If you have a failure, it's prorated based on how long the shingles have been on the roof. At the 15 year point, with 20 year shingles, 75% of their life has expired. After that point, any claim on this is some portion of the remaining 25% only. (25 year is better quality than 20 year, btw.)

Some roofers told me that those 20 and 25 year warranties (thus expected lifetime) are based on ideal conditions for the roof. Anything less than ideal, many roofs will fail, before the warranty has expired. There's not enough of the warranty left to make filing a claim worthwhile for most homeowners.

Don't wait for the roof to start leaking. We went throught that when our roof vents started leaking and we had an ice dam problem. Still dealing with the stains from the leaks bleeding through the primer and new paint.

Plus, if you wait until it's leaking you may have to replace some of the decking under the shingles, if it goes on too long. How long depends on the sheeting material that was used on your home. OBS doesn't hold up as long as ply, for example. And, if you don't spot the leak(s) in time, you may have structural damage to repair. Some leaks can hide for quite a while if they're within the walls.

If you can, think about going ahead and replacing them in the next couple of years. Try to stash a few bucks at a time into your "new roof" fund, so the hit on the bank account won't seem to be so bad.

One other thing..... when you replace them, consider a lighter color shingle. Heat is the enemy of shingles. Dark roofs absorb more heat. So, not only does the extra heat shorten the life of shingles, it puts a larger load on your AC. Took a while to find them, but we put on a pale green shingle, when we replaced ours. (Didn't want white or light grey for our home.) Hoping they'll come close to living up to their 25 year warranty.

Hope you'll find something in this post that's useful for you.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Actually, I'm considering going with metal. I've put up 3 buildings with brown metal roofing and I used the same material on our porch.

As far as color goes, I prefer dark. We don't use the a/c much and I like the sun's power in the winter. My funace barely runs in the winter on bright sunny days.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

I've covered asphalt shingles with brush on asphalt mobile home roof coating and it worked well. It stays silver for a few years but it eventually gets darker over time.

I had an addition on an old house that I owned that the roof was drooping in the center. The shingles obviously needed replaced but so did the underlayment. I coated the roof with the mobile home stuff and the roof actually held water and didn't leak. It got me by for a few years until I could fix it right.

I figure if one was to put it on a roof with good slope, you might get another 5+ years out of it, and maybe more..
*Robert Frost*
Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 AM

Time to get rid of shingles all together and get a metal roof.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 AM

I used TLOCK shingles over my old 3 tab shingle and very happy with the result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck 016.jpg (18.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 PM

the roll-on coatings can be great - and, they can be awful -

much depends on what you are trying to cover - the adhesion of these products is pretty good on a clean and stable surface - trying to cover dirt, mildew, algae and/or flaky surfaces invites disappointment -

the old practice of installing a strip of zinc at the peak of a roof has pretty much gone the way of black and white tv - much to the delight of shingle manufacturers -
Old 09-27-2015, 02:41 AM

Default Elastomeric Roof Coating

After seeing the excellent discussion on this thread I weighed the pros and cons and decided to apply this material to my well seasoned shingles. It's been 5 years now and it appears that the coating is holding up very well. I haven't found anywhere that it is peeling loose from the shingles and it still looks very bright on the Google Earth pictures.

I've decided to add it to other roofs on our property because my two fold goal is a) extend the life of the roof and b) reduce heat.

In the heat reduction arena I did a test today. It was about 88 degrees ambient temp and I took a surface temp on a spot of coated roof that was in direct sun. There was a patch of un coated roof adjacent to the coated patch.

Actual surface temps in sunlight on old, originally white shingles:

Uncoated, = 149 degrees f.

Coated = 121 degrees f.

To me, 28 degrees of cooling factor is a significant win. It keeps the building cooler inside and keeps the shingle material cooler. Not bad for $250 or so worth of pain and a couple of hours of work.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:43 PM

Default roofing tips

hi,

I am a licensed contractor here in Minnesota.

They have learned a few things about asphalt shingles over the years.

1) putting a 2nd or 3rd layer of shingles is a very bad thing to do. Here it's illegal to do so. The reason is, heat is the enemy of asphalt shingles, and when you cover a layer of asphalt with asphalt, that bottom and middle layer get very hot, and the heat can't get away. So those layers break down into very tiny pieces. Also that heat then causes the top layer to break down much faster than if it were installed on the roof decking.

2) Lighter colors last longer. Again a light grey or white roof will stay cooler, and thus last much longer. It'll also help your A/C, by keeping the attic cooler.

3) Metal roofing is gaining popularity in many parts of the country. However, depending on what you pick, it can cost almost 2-3 times more money (if you use stone coated metal, vs pole barn metal) But it does have advantages - one it'll last a life time - ie 75 years. It's also cooler in the summer since it does breath. Also it's naturally fire proof - and thus if you live in wild fire country, you can get a big break on your home insurance. And it's almost hail proof too (gotta be softball sized before it'll be damaged)

The new asphalt laminated shingles are pretty good. And most companies now offer a "lifetime" warrantee on them (which is really a 50 year warrantee). Personally I like Owens Corning Duration series. They look great, have twice as much glue as others, and thus 110 MPH wind resistance. Most houses something else will fail with that kind of wind.

That's my $.02.

Bear