BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Inactive Member

Default Anyone in Northern Idaho?

Hi all, I'm currently in northern california for a few months; spending time with family and grandkids. I plan to be back up that way soon and wanted to know if it is still really cold and if there has been more snow since before Christmas?

We rented out our little house in the wee berg of Bonners Ferry, Idaho; and moved more out into the country on 15 acres. I can't wait to get back and start my garden and get some fruit trees in the ground. DH promised to get a nice deer fence up around the garden and mini orchard this year. We have tons of deer who think they are the real owners of our place. Just across the driveway is a large alfalfa field with lots of elk in the spring. They sure are splendid animals.

I am new to the board and look forward to learning new things this year from you'all. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year too!!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Inactive Member

Welcome to the forum.

Paul
Old 01-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Master Pontificator

Welcome!!! And Happy NewYear to you also.
Pasture and Woodlot Raised Pork
Old 01-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Master Pontificator

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading more about your homesteading adventures.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 PM

Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum.

I am not from Idaho but I am strongly considering moving there. I was looking into the Lewiston area as I hate bad winters.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM

I'm from north Idaho...the Priest Lake area.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:49 AM

Default Idaho?

Was headed for Idaho 30 years ago in my covered wagon and met a man. A nice man who I married and now live on a 300 acre farm in west central Illinois. No mountians but I love it here. Lots of cold and snow here this year. I have a sister who lives in Idaho, in Richfield I think. Not been to Richfield yet.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 PM

Hi there. I'm not from Idaho either at the moment. We lived in the NW corner of MT for a number of years up the Yaak. Bonner's Ferry is our old stomping grounds. I Can't wait to get back to Western Mt hopefully this summer. We also lived a few years down by Moscow ID and a few years in Rathdrum ID. I really miss my mountains living over here in MN like we do. Enjoy North Idaho!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Inactive Member

Blueiris, I used to have a cabin near Hamilton, MT. We were near a large elk preserve. We could see the Sapphire Mtns. and the Bitterroot Mtns. from the top of our hill. We had 20 acres with a 99 year old cabin.

We had to share the place with packrats and they didn't like us being there. One decided to take up residence under the throwpillow on my bed. I found shavings and other things under the pillow after I tossed it off on the floor when I was getting ready for bed one night.

They were in the walls, under the place, in the garage and rootcellar. One morning my dog cornered one in the bathroom. Somehow it got into the tub and that was his fatal mistake. I stuffed wool in every crook and cranny to keep them and the mice out.

They finally won out, we sold the place and I think the new owners leveled the cabin.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 PM

Too funny! We had pack rats in our shed growing up just outside of Missoula. Ugly things and very hard to get rid of too. I have family in Hamilton and we used to do a lot of hiking and camping down in the area. What part of Northern CA are you from? I spent 3 months in Cresent City 8 years ago. Loved the ocean, the redwoods, banana slugs and seals. Would love to spend more time in that area.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Inactive Member

We are currently east of Sacramento, in the foothills. We used to own a home in Crescent City; we were a few short blocks from the water; really nice little house. I still have a step SIL who lives there. Her hubby was with the CHP. He got ill and had to retire; he later passed away, but she is still there, raising her granddaughter.

Crescent City was a great little town; I sure miss the smell of the ocean and hearing the crashing of the waves on the rocks. Our friend has a crab boat and one year my hubby went out with him to put crab pots in the water.

They went out the next day and had to lift those pots...they were heavy, but thankfully they had a pully to lift them. We ate tons of fresh crab that night with a little wine and french bread...oh it was grand!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 PM

My husband is a traveling nurse and was on assignment when I went to Cresent City. I wasn't working , so I volunteered at the Marine Rescue center there on the beach by City Park. That was quite an experience! I loved it. My 13 year old son was allowed to help me empty and clean the pools and feed the seals. I would do it again in a heart beat. We spent time every day on the beach. Nothing like the pull of the ocean.... We hiked numerous trails through the redwoods and along the coast. Weather was perfect...no bugs.... Loved it!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM

From Bonner County, ID, right next door. Mildest winter in my memory here.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:37 PM

Welcome to the crew.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 PM

I am originally from the Modesto, CA area, but live in NW Montana now. I was just in Bonners Ferry last Monday! What a small world! Welcome to you and yours!
Amaranthine
Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 AM

Forgot to say we aren't far, we are over here in WA 30 min from the Idaho boarder not far form the Lewis/Clark Valley.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Welcome to the forum.