BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 AM

Default Better MPG on Toyota Tundra

I have an 07 Tundra. I don't know if this applies to other makes or models, but disconnecting the negitive battery terminal for about 5 minutes then re connecting it results in 2 to 3 MPG better mileage for a short while. The computers learn your driving habits and store the info. I always drive my Tundra easy, but the disconnect does improve the mileage for a little while. Also, if you get an engine service light come on, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Many times the light comes on for some stupid tempory reason and won't go off until the computer is cleared. The battery disconnect clears the computer. If there is an on going problem, the light will come back on and the problem should be checked out. The dealers charge a small fortune to re set the check engine light and a good part of the time it was only caused by a temp problem. Mine came on twice in 45K miles.
Bye the way, the Tundra is the best 1/2 ton truck for towing. I pull a 26" toy hauler with it and it has plenty of power to spare and the brakes are fantastic. Far bigger and better designed than any other 1/2 ton P/U on the market. Fuel mileage is not the best when towing 10K pounds (10-11 MPG), but it will out pull any gas truck on the market.

Best Regards, John K
Old 03-26-2017, 12:10 AM
Master Pontificator

I completely agree John.

I had a T-100 Stretch Cab, and it probably handled towing flat bed trailers with tractors & farm equipment better than any of the previous trucks did, but the V-6 engine was not quite as capable as the V-8 in the Tundra. I did add a pair of 1500 pound helper springs on the rear axle of the T-100 to keep it better balanced towing or hauling weight, but that has not been necessary with the Tundra.

I replaced the T-100 with a Tundra SR5 Club Cab 4x4, and it handles flat bed trailers with tractors better than than any truck I have ever owned.

The grandson had a Tacoma and it is not a slouch either. Actually we are pretty much a Toyota Family. The youngest daughter is on her second Corolla, the older daughter has a Camry and the boy has a Prius & the wife drives a Rav4. [The youngest daughter would probably still be driving her original Corolla, if a lady had not rear-ended her during the Christmas Season while shopping in '12. Unfortunately the lady damaged the unibody frame badly and the insurance folks totaled the Corolla]
Old 03-31-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksac2 View Post
Bye the way, the Tundra is the best 1/2 ton truck for towing. I pull a 26" toy hauler with it and it has plenty of power to spare and the brakes are fantastic. Far bigger and better designed than any other 1/2 ton P/U on the market. Fuel mileage is not the best when towing 10K pounds (10-11 MPG), but it will out pull any gas truck on the market.

Best Regards, John K
Thanks for the tip. I have an 06 Tundra. BTW what is the total weight of your toy hauler? I am thinking about towing a 6,000 GVCW travel trailer.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"