BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 PM

Default Hello From North Georgia.

Hello all, I'm from the N. Georgia/ Chattanooga Tn. area. I've been a visitor to the BHM site for about 3 yrs. now, but just recently started visiting the forum. Seems to be a great bunch of people here. Hopefully I'll continue to learn things I didn't know and maybe contribute some tips myself.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Inactive Member

Welcome to the forum.

Paul
Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Master Pontificator

Glad to have you here!! Welcome and jump right in there. Great info and folks here.
Pasture and Woodlot Raised Pork
Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Master Pontificator

Welcome to you from south GA. You will learn lots of good things here as there are some really knowledgeable people that join in. I look forward to reading more about you and your homestead.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 AM

Welcome from W Georgia
Old 02-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Default Thanks to all for the welcome.

Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the forum.

Firegirl, I've debated about telling anything about myself or my homestead since things have not turned out as planned, but maybe it will inspire someone else to keep trying. So I'll give a little summary of my story. I'll try to keep it short.

Moderators if this is not the right place for this please feel free to move it.

Once upon a time My wife of 6 yrs and I had worked hard, paid off debt and saved for our homestead. Then she decided she was "not happy" so she divorced me and went on a spending spree. With the $52,000 we had in the bank gone, I had to start over.
One year later, back on my feet, I was trying too hard to build up too quick. I had gotten into day trading currencies and was over leveraged when our (oh so wise) government started with the bailouts. I lost $15,000 overnight. So I had to start over again.
One year later, with the economy not doing too well I was working for a long time (27 yrs) friend and saving what I could when my friend developed a Texas hold'em habit. He has since gambled away 2 homes and 3 businesses, one of witch was my job.
So now I find myself living in an old RV I bought that is parked on an overgrown empty lot. Can't find any work around here but I'm still not giving up. I am completely debt free so all I need is gas and groceries. I am currently working on a little project to make a few sales on e-bay.
If I can keep trying after all my setbacks and thousands lost, I hope someone else will be inspired to not give up on their dreams.
I welcome any comments or questions and if anyone has any e-bay ideas I would love to hear them.

Well thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks again for all the welcomes.... Later...
Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 PM

welcome aboard from West Ga...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Inactive Member

Everyone has setbacks, even with the best of plans.

You've proven that you can save for a homestead before, so now you know you can do it again.

You say there are no jobs. Are you planning to stay in Georgia or relocate?

Yes, you can be in inspiration to others, but they can also be an inspiration to you.

Paul
Old 02-18-2010, 12:25 AM

Hey Paul,
I might consider relocating but I wouldn't want to get too far away. I want to remain within a couple of hours of my parents because they are beginning to have some health issues.

Hopefully I'll get some income going soon and with no debt saving for my homestead will be a breeze this time.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Inactive Member

Not only will it be easier to save for a place this time, but you've already got your cabin.... just tow it and drop it. lol

I lived here in an 27' bumper pull from May 1998 until October 2002 (I think). Sometimes I sorta miss it.

Paul
Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 AM

I'm not sure if I would miss this place, but I do like the simplicity. Seems that all the happiest times in my life have been when things were simple.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:05 AM

Dang Bro, that is a rough patch for sure. But as the saying goes...what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. You being here, picking yourself up still reaching for your goal is proof that you're strong for sure.

Also remember your not going to do it overnight. I'm sure that even back in the good times when your job was booming and you were building the stash that your ex blew thru, it took a while to build it up. Keep the faith and your eye on the goal.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:19 AM

Default hi

Hello from north Alabama. I have learned so much here. As soon as I get home each day, I unwind with this forum. I've enjoyed it so much and hope you do as well. Everything will work out for you. The people on here will help you with anything they can. I sure don't know much, but will help ya too when I can! Hope you have a good evening, Shannon
Old 05-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Default UPDATE

I wanted to post a bit of an update on my journey. It has been tough. Seems that having been self employed for a number of years makes it harder to find a job, no one wants to hire a 45yr. old man with no recent/verifiable work history, but I got lucky and am now working again. I have a friend that owns a small auto repair shop, he didn't need any help but I have some skills and knowledge that he doesn't, so he put me to work and we are now taking in some of those jobs that he used to turn away. I guess its a win win situation for both of us.

I can't say a big enough THANK YOU! to everyone on this forum. Your money saving tips have gotten me through financially and reading of your struggles and successes have carried me emotionally.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:15 AM

Hi Not2L8 -

Like you, I've had to start over numerous times. It sucks, no sugar coating that fact. However, I think the saying really is true - "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

I'm glad you're getting back on your feet. You WILL make it, and have your dream.

~ R
Old 05-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Master Pontificator

Congrats on the job!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:11 AM
Master Pontificator

I may have found you 2 acres of land near Ellijay. I found it on craigslist. The guy wanted to trade it for a Harley. I emailed him and asked him if he wanted to sale it. I will let you know.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks ~R, I do believe that "what doesn't kill you" saying. I used to let the setbacks really get me down but now I look at them more as lessons learned.

Firegirl, thanks for the congrats... The job couldn't have come at a better time, as my savings was down to the last $100 bucks or so.
Thanks for keeping me in mind on the land, but I'll have to save up a bit first. Its a shame that I once had a couple of different Harleys that I could've traded. Oh well, another lesson learned.

Thanks again everyone!
Time for work.... Later...