BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 PM

Default Propane Refrigerator

Can Some One Tell Me About How Long A Propane Tank Will Last In A Propane Refrig? I Know Its According To How Much You Open The Door And Things Like That- But On Average About How Long? Thanks!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Inactive Member

It depends on a lot of things.. the age of the fridge, size of fridge, etc.

Mine is a Crystal Cold floor model made for homes, not RV's, and was bought new in 2003. At the time, it seems like a 20 pound cylinder ran from 11 to 14 days (prior to reconnecting my bulk tank). A 20 pound cylinder will only hold about 16 pounds of propane.

Paul
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Default propane refrigerator

Are you happy with your Crystal Cold ref. performance? I have been thinking about purchasing one for my "get away place" hopefully soon to be my homestead. We do not have access to electricity and the cost is prohibitive. (10,000.00 to run the lines). I do have access to natural gas and I have read the propane can be converted to natural gas fairly easy to operate a refrigerator.

At some point I plan to build a home and plan to be off the grid. If I invest in a refrigerator I would like to use it in my home. Presently we have a small cabin where most of our living is done out doors especilly when the weather permits.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Inactive Member

Yes, I am happy with it. The only problem with any gas or propane refrigerator is that the fins have to be thawed once in awhile.

When you order a fridge, you select the option of getting one for natural gas or for propane.

The nice thing is that they will last forever... almost. There are no moving parts and no compressor to wear out.

The one drawback is their price. But, if you plan on using one, you will most likely never have to replace it.

When I got mine in 2003, I think I paid either $1250 or $1500, but can't remember. I think the freight was about $150. No doubt they've most likely gone up since then as well as the freight.

Paul
Old 02-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I figured out my camper fridge last year to last 27 days. Anything that takes propane will have a tag on it saying the BTU's it needs (just like electric appliances tell you the watts or amps it takes), I can't off hand remember how many BTU's are in a lb of propane, but if you can figure that out, and figure out the draw, you can figure out how long it will last using full power.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Avoid the units that require low voltage for the temperature control and ignition of the burner. I had one and it was a PITA!

I have a Servel unit now and I love it. It even has a light inside thats battery powered so you can grab those midnite munchies with ease..

I have the Servel, a small Dometic from a camper, my range, and my water heater connected to a #100 bottle and I can go for around 2 months or a little more if I don't use the oven a whole lot. Of course, I only use the pilot light on the water heater so the main burner never kicks on. That alone saves a lot of propane..

A small unit from a camper will run about a month on a #20 bottle. It doesn't matter how cold you adjust it to. The flame doesn't change..

BTW.. Those little camper sized units make dandy little upright freezers if ya crank them up..
*Robert Frost*
Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks All For The Info.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vman View Post
A

A small unit from a camper will run about a month on a #20 bottle. It doesn't matter how cold you adjust it to. The flame doesn't change..

BTW.. Those little camper sized units make dandy little upright freezers if ya crank them up..
I never knew that. How does it regulate the temp?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mine and many that I have seen has a control to set the temperature. Numbered like.. 1 thru 8 or something like that. Just crank that baby up to the highest number and let 'er go for a couple days. Stuff will freeze..

They regulate the temperature by "Bypassing" the evaporated liquid around the cooling unit inside of the fridge and condensing it with the tubing on the rear. The flame remains the same. (on 'MOST" Units)
*Robert Frost*

Last edited by 12vman; 02-18-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Inactive Member

I think mine operates the same way. The reason I say that is because the size of the little flame never changes, so the propane usage is constant.

Paul
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 PM

It depends on how many cubic feet in size and how well insulated it is. I would imagine it doesn't take too much since it operates like a pilot light with a high and low level.

I never specifically measured our old propane refrigerators with an isolated propane supply. However, last summer we picked up a 130W 'energy star' unit that is 18 cubic feet. It works well and I took all kinds of power measurements on it. You can find these measurements on the website in my profile.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 AM

Default Another trick

Gas fired fridgies are a bit of a pain when it comes to even cooling and icing so I took a computer cooling fan (they're 12 volt) and zip-tied it to the grate next to the cooler thingy and hooked it to 12 volt and got circulation goin' on. Two would work better but it doesn't matter how many I have, it takes a lot of solar to keep up with the power requirements.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Master Pontificator

How much propane do you figure it`ll take to run it in a year? I am considering one and together with an on demand water heater, and a range, I figure I`ll be spending about $200-300 a year on propane.

If you have to ask why, you wouldn`t understand my answer.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Inactive Member

I use propane for cooking, heating water, and fridge. I go through about 200 gallons per year. I can't remember what I paid last time, but it was under $2 per gallon. I'm thinking it was between $1.80 and $1.90. Also, I own my own bulk tank rather than "leasing" one.

I just looked on the website for my co-op and the cash price on propane is $1.80 per gallon.

Paul
Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Seems to me someone said that leasing a tank is only about $50 per year.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNKS View Post
I use propane for cooking, heating water, and fridge. I go through about 200 gallons per year. I can't remember what I paid last time, but it was under $2 per gallon. I'm thinking it was between $1.80 and $1.90. Also, I own my own bulk tank rather than "leasing" one.

I just looked on the website for my co-op and the cash price on propane is $1.80 per gallon.

Paul
I'm locked in until june (i think) at $1.799, and i pay with my creddit card so i get my Cabela's points... lol Then i pay the CC off at the end of the month. (no interest) There's no charge for "their" 500 gallon tank to sit here, as long as i use at least 200 gallons of propane per year.

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
I'm locked in until june (i think) at $1.799, and i pay with my creddit card so i get my Cabela's points... lol Then i pay the CC off at the end of the month. (no interest) There's no charge for "their" 500 gallon tank to sit here, as long as i use at least 200 gallons of propane per year.

DM
You're lucky. A lot of the companies here, charge a rental. The co-op has no rental except for a lease to own. They prorate the cost of the tank over 5 years with 5 equal installments.

I paid about $450 for my 500 gallon tank used at a farm sale. It still had some propane in it. That was in the summer of 1998. These days, you can get a tank for the equivalent of about $1 per gallon capacity. I saw one on Craig's List,... a 500 gallon tank for $500.

I usually have the co-op deliver my propane. That way, they can deliver it whether I'm home or not. If I pay within 10 days, then I get the cash discount. If you use a credit card with them, they add 3%.

I also have an older Dometic propane fridge. It is a small one out of an RV. I brought it to the house yesterday. I'm going to make sure it is still in good working order and see how well it will work for a freezer.

Paul
Old 03-14-2010, 07:07 PM

There is no cash discount here, and there's a lot of propane competition here, so rental ect... is pretty competitive and free... If they jack you around too much, folks just move to a new company...

It's getting here so no one will fill a personal owned tank, unless you are so big you use thousands of $$ of propane per year, like with a corn dryer ect... You can buy 100 gallon tanks, but why do so when they are also free to rent... Plus the propane company will come out and exchange them, keeping them full for you.

My greenhouse friend bought two used 500 tanks for $50.00 each... She is going to use them to store hot water in her green house, that she will heat with her wood burner...

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcadet View Post
How much propane do you figure it`ll take to run it in a year? I am considering one and together with an on demand water heater, and a range, I figure I`ll be spending about $200-300 a year on propane.
We have been looking at those on demand hot water heaters. The one I like does not use a pilot light but rather a iginitor that sparks when the water flows. It also doesnt require any electric hookup
Old 03-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Default on demand water heater

We have a gas on demand water heater I purchased from ebay which does not require electricity and does not light with a pilot light. Instead it uses two D batteries. It must be vented to the outside and cost about $300.00 dollars.So far it has worked like a charm providing me with all the hot water I need without electricity. Now if I could solve the refrigeration problem as easily and cheaply I would be a happy woman.