BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
There is no cash discount here, and there's a lot of propane competition here, so rental ect... is pretty competitive and free... If they jack you around too much, folks just move to a new company...

It's getting here so no one will fill a personal owned tank, unless you are so big you use thousands of $$ of propane per year, like with a corn dryer ect... You can buy 100 gallon tanks, but why do so when they are also free to rent... Plus the propane company will come out and exchange them, keeping them full for you.

My greenhouse friend bought two used 500 tanks for $50.00 each... She is going to use them to store hot water in her green house, that she will heat with her wood burner...

DM
Here, most of the companies add 6cents per gallon if you don't pay within 10 days.

Their are a lot of propane companies around here. Almost all of them have a 300 gallon minimum to fill. However, they all have a "keep full" program. Anytime they are in the area, they'll top off the tank, waving the minimum delivery amount of 300 gallons.

None of the companies around here will deliver for just the 100 lb tanks.

It just goes to show that it varies by region, I guess.

Paul
Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Actually what i have seen is, they don't stop and fill the tanks... A truck has a route, comes around that has 100 pound tanks on it, and exchanges them, unless that has stopped recently??

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Master Pontificator

Yeah, will be getting an on demand heater soon, I`m looking for a bargain, not happy with relying on batteries. Gonna start digging a root cellar in spring, will help in keeping food cold 5-6 months of the year, hopefully. Smokehouse, outdoor kitchen is in the works too.

If you have to ask why, you wouldn`t understand my answer.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Master Pontificator

CubCadet,

DH wants to add a smokehouse one day. We already have the root cellar dug. DH and DS still have to dig a footing and then they will lay the blocks. We are getting a propane fridge as well and an on-demand hot water heater. GA currently has a rebate program of $199 back for the hot water heater. The rebate along with the tax incentives makes that a great deal. We bought a 100 lb cylinder several years ago. We have since been given a 110 gal tank and a 220 gal tank. The gas companies around here charge $40 rental fee per year, so I am glad we own ours. We heat with wood, so don't need propane for heating. We hope that the 220 gal tank will about handle our needs for the year with the other two as backups. That means at $2 a gallon, gas will cost us about $35 a month. We also hope replacing the hot water heater and fridge will cut our power bill more than that a month since they are both over 10 years old. We are going to solar for tv, dvd, charging the computer, radio, and charging DH's drill and rechargeable batteries.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Location: Cleveland Ohio,, *For now :) Till I can build my new Home.

I found a great description on how these systems work, to bad the picture with it is such low resolution that it doesn't help much with the aritcle.
http://www.warehouseappliance.com/HowLPfridgeWorks.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

Last edited by johnjmw; 11-22-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon001 View Post
Here, most of the companies add 6cents per gallon if you don't pay within 10 days.

Paul
Actually, they don't add six cents if you don't pay within ten days, they give you a six cent discount if you pay within ten days. That's an incentive for you to pay up. It's common practice everywhere for fuel jobbers to do this.

As for fridge consumption. We have an old 1940's model Servel and it will consume about two 100 pound cylinders of propane a year.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:09 AM

Been thinking about swapping over to a fridge that runs on lp for the home. Thanks for all the useful info everyone.