BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > History

History history n. A record or narrative description of past events and times.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
Thats scary--taking the brighter of society and sending them off to war.

And I wonder if we cant lay all this at the feet of our indoctrination systems called public schools?

Kids can whip every computer game that comes out but cant read or write a sentence?
I honestly don't think younger folks are getting brighter and the military skimming the cream. I think the military is taking what they can get. The rest are getting dumbed down. I see it every day.

Last edited by Mike LI; 05-14-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: needed it
Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LI View Post
I honestly don't think younger folks are getting brighter and the military skimming the cream. I think the military is taking what they can get. The rest are getting dumbed down. I see it every day.
Durning WW2--Dad was a DI-----and if you could walk/your arms moved/you could see you were accepted.

At the height of the war---Boot camp was never more than 6 wks some---3 wks.

But it brings to mind---is it IQ----or Patriotism that makes us winners in battle?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
Durning WW2--Dad was a DI-----and if you could walk/your arms moved/you could see you were accepted.

At the height of the war---Boot camp was never more than 6 wks some---3 wks.

But it brings to mind---is it IQ----or Patriotism that makes us winners in battle?
WW2 was different we needed bodies. Get there with more first.

None of the above. The will to live and your friends keep you alive, all that other crap God and country BS goes right out the window. You may join for that reason but that wont keep you alive. Every kid in the service is good intentioned that's why we join we believe that, but the brass tacks of it is a whole other story.

I asked one guy who was over run during Tet and said so what were you thinking and he said " I promised my mom I wouldn't get killed here ".
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LI View Post
WW2 was different we needed bodies. Get there with more first.

None of the above. The will to live and your friends keep you alive, all that other crap God and country BS goes right out the window. You may join for that reason but that wont keep you alive. Every kid in the service is good intentioned that's why we join we believe that, but the brass tacks of it is a whole other story.

I asked one guy who was over run during Tet and said so what were you thinking and he said " I promised my mom I wouldn't get killed here ".
Thank you---
Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I was in a marine recruiters office this week, I talk to him about the qualification test. He said it is written so a 10th grader should pass it. Today he said a great majority of HS grads can not pass the test.
Now these scores do change and can do so daily depending on what skills they need in the service. But it is not just the scores that keep them out.
Army-31
Air Force-36
Navy- 35
Marines- 32
Coast Guard- 40

It can be something as simple as a tattoo in the wrong place or the wrong meaning. A branding of the skin. A forked tongue. A police record (kids can now have a police record just for a simple fight in School) Have you had your children diagnosed with ADD guess what those drugs they give them will keep them out of the service. Home Schooled can be a issue sometimes. Weight Standards.

There are many of us that had a very successful military career that today we would not even be eligible to enlist. Kids today have a better chance of getting into College than enlisting in the Military.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 PM

http://official-asvab.com/samples_app.htm

Question 2. 100 C is equal to

A. 32 F.
B. 100 F.
C. 200 F.
D. 212 F.

Question 3. Salt helps to melt ice because it

A. dissolves in water to form an acid.
B. chemically destroys the water molecules.
C. lowers the temperature at which water freezes.
D. is attracted to concrete sidewalks below the ice

Question 1. Air is less dense than water because

A. it is lighter.
B. its molecules are further apart.
C. its molecules are closer together.
D. it moves more quickly and easily.

Question 1. The eastern part of Texas will ambush the senses of all who enter it with preconceptions of sand and cacti around every bend. It has a look and atmosphere that does not fit the boots-and-saddle image of the state.

The author implies that the look and atmosphere of east Texas does NOT resemble that of the

A. marshlands.
B. mountains.
C. seashore.
D. desert.

Question 3. They returned to the beach, where blankets spotted the slope to the water. An advancing wall of clouds, black and gray, darkening the expanse of ground beneath, approached from the west. To the east and above them, the sky remained clear, the sun warm, as if collaborating in the deception.

The "deception" referred to in the passage is that

A. there is no storm approaching.
B. the sky is clear in the east.
C. it is too cold to swim.
D. the sun is warm.

Question 2. Because solid state diodes have no filament, they

A. don't work.
B. are less efficient than tubes.
C. require less operating power.
D. require more operating power.

Question 3. His record provides no reason for apprehension.

A. anxiety.
B. change.
C. enjoyment.
D. endorsement.

Question 2. Wilted most nearly means

A. left.
B. limp.
C. budding.
D. requested.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 PM

Intersting thread. So many diverse POVs by different people, all good Americans, no doubt, yet differing in their world views.

A personal anecdote about the early 60s: In 1961 I had a paper route (What was I thinking: up at 4:30 EVERY morning of the year, back home by 8 AM, all for $0.50 a day?)

The Chicago Sun-Times was printed in tabloid form. The front page was the news, the back page was the "front page" of the sports section.

In 1961, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris of the Yankees started the season hitting home runs at a record pace, and by June, the Times started printing their totals in the upper left & right corners respectively of the back page. They both had over 30 in July and it was quite exciting to follow thieir progress each AM as the papers were dropped by the truck for me to deliver.

That was also the heart of the Cold War and the US and Russia started competing with each other with multiple, progressively larger atom bomb tests. (We were also testing milk production for radioactivity in those days. This "race" eventually resulted in the agreement to stop atmospheric testing of nuclear weapons.)

By August, the Times started printing the number of tests by the two countries in the upper corners of the front page, mimicking the home run totals on the back.

Not only was I wondering if Maris or Mantle would break The Babe's record, but also if I would live to see my 12th birthday.

This youngest generation may be great at computer games, but they have no appreciation of the struggles it took to ensure their right to live in ignorance. Nobody under 35 y/o probably has any appreciation of the horrors of totalitarianism. If current trends continue, they may live to experience it.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Intersting thread. So many diverse POVs by different people, all good Americans, no doubt, yet differing in their world views.

A personal anecdote about the early 60s: In 1961 I had a paper route (What was I thinking: up at 4:30 EVERY morning of the year, back home by 8 AM, all for $0.50 a day?)

The Chicago Sun-Times was printed in tabloid form. The front page was the news, the back page was the "front page" of the sports section.

In 1961, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris of the Yankees started the season hitting home runs at a record pace, and by June, the Times started printing their totals in the upper left & right corners respectively of the back page. They both had over 30 in July and it was quite exciting to follow thieir progress each AM as the papers were dropped by the truck for me to deliver.

That was also the heart of the Cold War and the US and Russia started competing with each other with multiple, progressively larger atom bomb tests. (We were also testing milk production for radioactivity in those days. This "race" eventually resulted in the agreement to stop atmospheric testing of nuclear weapons.)

By August, the Times started printing the number of tests by the two countries in the upper corners of the front page, mimicking the home run totals on the back.

Not only was I wondering if Maris or Mantle would break The Babe's record, but also if I would live to see my 12th birthday.

This youngest generation may be great at computer games, but they have no appreciation of the struggles it took to ensure their right to live in ignorance. Nobody under 35 y/o probably has any appreciation of the horrors of totalitarianism. If current trends continue, they may live to experience it.
Doc
I can remember coming off of the Korean War better known as the Cold War---and in 1958 there was rumors and conflict in Hungary--Hungarian Conflict.

Having been born into WW2 amd many there-after I found myself terrified.

But in defense of our newest generations----I think they are so use to us being At WAR with some country and no end in sight--they are numbed into complancy---its nothing new to them.
I think too--many of the young men---watch enough TV --our soldiers killed in useless unwin able wars they they close off their minds too it.

Not saying all care,like we did over the war in SE ASIA---but its normal for us to be at war--Normal mind you--Now thats sad.

Sincerely
Txanne
Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
So agree with you.

I have stood at that wall in DC and my stomach cringed and I fought crying out loud. Walk along that wall, every name is a person's life cut short under terrible circumstances.

Send the kids of those who start the wars to fight them.
445 of those names were from the 1st Infantry Brigade, 5th Infantry Divison (Mechanized) which was in country from May 1968 to July 1971.
Not a day goes by that I don't think about them.
For some Americans Memorial Day comes once a year. For some of us Memorial Day comes every day.

Rest easy, my Brothers. Big Al is keeping the faith, and will rejoin your ranks someday.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
So agree with you.

I have stood at that wall in DC and my stomach cringed and I fought crying out loud. Walk along that wall, every name is a person's life cut short under terrible circumstances.

Send the kids of those who start the wars to fight them.
BWM---me too----If you get to visit it again---go to 7-E and look up James L Cherry.
I have only been to the portable wall---.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Now these scores do change and can do so daily depending on what skills they need in the service. But it is not just the scores that keep them out.
Army-31
Air Force-36
Navy- 35
Marines- 32
Coast Guard- 40

It can be something as simple as a tattoo in the wrong place or the wrong meaning. A branding of the skin. A forked tongue. A police record (kids can now have a police record just for a simple fight in School) Have you had your children diagnosed with ADD guess what those drugs they give them will keep them out of the service. Home Schooled can be a issue sometimes. Weight Standards.

There are many of us that had a very successful military career that today we would not even be eligible to enlist. Kids today have a better chance of getting into College than enlisting in the Military.
A score can indeed keep you out . Yes there are other things that keep you out even if you pass the test. But you MUST pass the test.