BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 03-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Default Ruger 380 Auto LPC

I am looking for a conceal carry gun, anyone have any experience with the new Ruger LPC 380? I am looking for something to slip into my pocket, or sometimes carry inside waist band in a holster.

I am deciding between the auto or small 38+ revolver.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 PM

It's LCP, Steve, not LPC. I own one and I really like it. You can put it in your front pocket and no one knows it's there, except for you. It is extremely inaccurate, but I kind of knew that going in. The price is right. I've never had a jam with it. It kicks pretty good, probably because it's so light.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:53 PM

Default LCP

Hey Michigan Steve,

Nice to see a fellow Michigander here on the forum. I have the Ruger LCR (38spl) which I love. I have more of an issue with the 380 ammo. I attribute the current supply/demand=ridiculous prices of 380acp ammo to the popularity of the Ruger LCP, but before I knew 380 ammo would become the holy grail of ammo, I bought the CZ 83 semi auto (380). I either cannot find it or afford it without a home equity line of credit....very frustrating.

NKY
Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM

Here in Idaho, I have had no problems finding .380 ammo.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Red face

Lurch-

Can ya send me about 500 rds?

NKY
Old 03-22-2010, 06:46 PM

I don't have any personal experience with the little Rugers, but hear a lot of good things about them.

I've carried a J-Frame Smith (640) daily for better than 15 years now.

I use a Mika pocket holster when in street clothes and/or a Bellyband for non-permissive environments.

It's very comfortable and comforting, and a great shooting little gun.

I reload, so this helps significantly with ammo choices and cost.

The last .380 I had was an AMT Backup. With the cost of .380 ammo and regional availability difficulties, I'm glad I have my little J-Frame.

Good Luck with your decision.

Prag
Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 PM

I bought a Ruger LCP last year, and I love it. At first I had a hard time shooting accurately with it, primarily due to the almost non-existent sights (don't want them snagging when pulling it out of your pocket) and the long, heavy trigger pull. The long, heavy trigger pull is the ONLY safety on the gun, so it's better to get used to it than to modify it for a lighter, shorter pull.

In order to learn to shoot it better, I bought the Crimson Trace LG-431 laser sight, and that helped me see just how much I was moving the gun off target as I pulled the trigger and learn to correct it. I went from shooting 12" groups to 2-3" groups at 7 yards, and I'm sure I could get even better if I wanted to spend the money on ammo for practice. I did by some .380 snap caps to practice with though.

.380 ammo can be hard to find right now, and it costs more than 9mm. The best I can semi-regularly find is around $18 per box of 50 for FMJ. HP tends to run around $20 per box of 20, but from what I've read, FMJ is supposed to be better for self defense due to having better penetration and HP not having enough velocity in a .380 to open up properly.

Compared to a .38 revolved, the LCP is thinner and easier to conceal. My wife has a Charter Arms .38 Undercover Lite (Pink Lady Southpaw), and it feels much heavier and bulkier than the LCP. The LCP easily disappears in a front or rear pants pocket, and with a hood wallet style pocket holster, if it prints at all, it will just look like a wallet or cellphone in your pocket, not a pistol. Being so thin, it should also be very comfortable with IWB carry, but despite a lot of looking, I still haven't purchased an IWB holster. I really like the look of the Crossbreed Minituck though.

I haven't had any problems with mine, it's never failed to fire or failed to eject, and I've put several hundred rounds through it. Being light, it does tend to have "snappy" recoil, but I find it to be more comfortable to shoot than my friend's Kel-tec P-3AT, which is a very similiar gun (some people claim Ruger copied the design), but the Ruger is more nicely finished and feels better in my hand.

My wife liked shooting mine so much that she's planning on getting one of her own to replace her .38 revolver as her primary carry gun.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:29 PM

Thanks for all the input, I have been out of town and could not respond until now.

I did decide on the Ruger LCR .38 special instead of the LCP in .380. The cost and availability of ammo was a big factor. I have had .38/.357 revolvers before and still have the reloading equipment for the round. I purchased the crimson laser sight version and so far am very impress with the gun.

The laser sight gives new meaning to point and shoot, especially in low light conditions. The gun will be carried in my pocket or in a holster at 4 or 5 o'clock on my right hip with a inside the pants rig of some kind.

I am not sure if +P loads in such a short barrel are any advantage in knock down energy.

My other carry gun is a Glock model 23 in .40 S&W, it is larger than I want for concealment with dress clothes. I will carry it when outdoors or when heavier clothing helps conceal it.

Again, thanks for all of your input I find lots of helpful information on this site.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM

I was thinking of the LCR .38+ too. Let me know how you like it. I have a bigger revolver I carry in the woods, but it's not much of a cc gun.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 PM

I have shot 150 rounds through it so far, I really like the laser sight. The laser makes it so easy to point and shoot at distances up to 6-7 yards. The LCR is light and the trigger pull is very good.

I am very satisfied so far and picked up a Uncle Mike's pocket holster size 4 which is for a sub-compact auto and not for a "J" frame S&W because the one for the S&W was to small.

I am waiting for my carry permit so I have not carried it yet concealed.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 PM

I reload 380. I can reload a box for between $6-30. The cost depends on if the brass is new(or not), the powder(2-5 cents per round), the bullet(2-25 cents depending if it's FMJ, plated, or cast), and the primer(4 cents per round.) With all new parts, 59 cents per round. Recycled brass, and cast bullet, 14 cents per round. This is just for cartridge parts, reloading equipment and time to reload extra.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 PM

With my LCPs, I can hit a 12'x15" plate at 25 yards 50-75% of the time.
The Uncle Mike's #10 rh and/or lh holster clips inside the pocket, and it's a snap to draw, rack, and fire.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 PM

I use a kel tech 380 which is almost identical to the ruger 380. I carry it about 90% of the time. At times forget I have it on me it is so light and small. I would recomend it to others for carry as well. It has never jammed with several different types ammo and shoots well for the size it is.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

have just purchased the LCP, and want to ask how the pocket holsters work out when wearing jeans--typically I'm in a pair of 501 Levis. I see a couple of references to Uncle Mikes holsters--any other recommendations.

Have been carrying a Kimber ultra (.45) IWB never have been real happy with the tuckable style holster, since I'm generally just in a t-shirt, and find that the gun rubs me the wrong way. Much prefer OWB when wearing a jacket.

Thought that the little 380 might be a good addition in the pocket.

JVC
Old 11-06-2014, 09:12 AM

DW carries one inside her waist band and it doesn't show in spite of her being thin. She sufferes some from arthritis, nevertheless she is comfortable shooting the little pistol, unlike with her 38 special, and she really enjoys doing so. On the other hand, I carry a very similar model from Taurus in a sleeve inside my jeans hip pocket. It gives me the same satisfactory service for >$100 less. There's never been any problem with either firearm and we use them quite a bit. I'd have to say accuracy is extremely good from both guns, better than I ever expected when I bought these little things. We do keep them cleaned and lightly oiled.
As for 380 ammo, we've never had a problem finding good stuff for a fairly reasonable price considering the retail stickers on all ammo now. It's always been available most everywhere here in middle TN. I did set up for reloading, however, just in case.

Last edited by oeb; 11-06-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: carried in jeans
Old 11-06-2014, 01:14 PM

I recently bought an LCP and while I've only got about 40 rounds through mine so far, I like it. It is to be expected of such a small handgun that its not going to be the most accurate weapon, however even I can keep all my shots within the torso of a silhouette target with it at 25 yards. Now its not meant really to be engaging targets at that distance, but it can be done. The gun does have some hefty recoil and again to be expected due to its light weight. I bought a Desantis pocket holster for mine and it prints like a Wallet when carried.

One thing to look out for is the spring guide rods. They're not meant to last long and show signs of wear quickly. Mine already has some wear marks on it. So do yourself a favor and pick up a few more. They're only $2 apiece from ruger. Since these guns are not meant to be shot an awful lot replacing a guide rod after a couple hundred rounds is no big thing.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post
have just purchased the LCP, and want to ask how the pocket holsters work out when wearing jeans--typically I'm in a pair of 501 Levis. I see a couple of references to Uncle Mikes holsters--any other recommendations.

Have been carrying a Kimber ultra (.45) IWB never have been real happy with the tuckable style holster, since I'm generally just in a t-shirt, and find that the gun rubs me the wrong way. Much prefer OWB when wearing a jacket.

Thought that the little 380 might be a good addition in the pocket.

JVC
I use a IWB (inside the waist band) holster for my LCP. I used to use a pocket holster, but had the pistol fall out one day while changing the oil on my car. The IWB holster has excellent retention.