BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Master Pontificator

I got a new gas stove last July and I love it. I had a glass cooktop that was electric and I constantly burned myself with it becuase it took so long to cool down. I would never go back to electric. JMHO
Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLee View Post
Change your split vote a bit and get the best of both worlds.

Put in a full size gas stove and then put in an electric wall oven. That's what I did when I remodeled my kitchen. Kept the electric wall oven, as it was still working fine. Also, you may be surprised at just how convenient having two ovens in the kitchen can be. Even for day to day cooking. And, especially when doing holiday cooking.

If budget is an issue, often Habit for Humanity has wall ovens for reasonable prices. Use the circuits that were originally intended for a regular electric range to power the wall oven. If you're lucky with placement you may not even need an extra junction box. There may be enough wiring to reach the oven location that all an electrician has to do is re-route the wire and add the appropriate plug.

FWIW, my sister has a ceramic top electric stove and hates it. She now wishes that she'd bought gas instead. (She uses natural gas for heat and hot water.) Hers is hard to keep clean. Easy to get burned, if you don't notice that the little red indicator light on the dash panel is on, after the burner has been turned off. She can't use some of her pans on it. Her's isn't recommended for canning.

Just 2-cents.
Lee
I think if I went for a second oven, I'd go for one of those electric convection ovens. My sister has one and it is fantastic. Sister makes fine pies and that oven makes them even better. Brownies are cook evenly and thru. She's my girl! If I got Mrs. Bare one, I'd be fat fer sure.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quality of the oven makes a big difference. The most important thing to do with any oven is to make sure they are calibrated. Best thing to do is check it
Old 03-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Master Pontificator

Default If you're already hooked up...

If you already have the tank and all that go with the propane. Gas cooking is much better. We went with electric cuz we didn't want to come up with the $$ to get the tank and all that. In our situation it was just a better deal to go electric for now.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Our ideal setup (city house) is a gas rangetop (BlueStar) and electric wall ovens. If we couldn't get gas, we'd install propane and convert the rangetop for that. Hands down, our BlueStar is the finest cooking machine we've ever enjoyed.

At the ranch, though, it's propane indoors and a fine old wood stove outdoors. Most of the time, Hubbest is working the wood stove and wearing a big smile.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:40 PM

There's a 500 gallon tank already there and the line is run into the house for the stove, but I think there's an outlet I could use for electric too. I think it was for a clothes dryer, but it could be used for an electric stove (right?), so I could go either way. I'm still convinced I should go with gas. It's going to cost some money to get the tank filled at first, I think it's only about 10 percent right now. The heat is also LP, and I'm putting in a potbelly stove for backup and additional heat to try and save on the gas. But I've been offered 2 electric stoves, I just have to haul them away. What I could do is take these electric stoves and sell them for a few bucks to help pay for the gas stove. And by reading all the great reply's, it sounds like gas is the way to go.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:58 AM

Have any of you here tried a electric induction cook-top?? They heat up as fast actually faster then gas, they cool down way faster (you can even lift the pan and put your hand on it). You can put a piece of paper towel under the pan while it is on the burner, and it wont burn it (I do it all the time to keep the burner & the bottom of the pan clean). They are so efficient, and are as cheap to use as gas(if not cheaper). They are the easiest to clean. The only way to burn yourself is to actually touch the pan while it is on the burner, They are the safest of all the cook-tops.
There are some disadvantages, only pans that are magnetic can be used. I don't think you can can on them with a really big caner,. If I was you I would buy the induction & get a portable propane cooker for canning.
I do not own as of yet a induction cook-top, however I did buy a single burner portable one a cheap one & I love it. They are so much better then any other option out on the market today. (Think 10sec. clean up)
I have used a good sized pressure cooker on it.