Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Recipes

Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default The Terrible, Horrible, Circus Peanut Gelatin

This is horrible, very bad, terrible for you, junk food, but it's SO good! You wouldn't want a steady diet of this (for the above reasons), but it's a delicious treat, once in a while. Of course, I might be biased - I just LOVE circus peanuts!

Circus Peanut Gelatin

7 ounces (about 30) of Circus Peanuts
1-6 oz package of orange flavored gelatin
1-16 oz can of Mandarin oranges, drained*
2 cups of boiling water
1 3/4 cups of Mandarin orange syrup and cold water
2 cups of whipped topping

* You may substitute 16 oz of canned crushed pineapple, drained

Cut or tear the Circus Peanuts into small pieces.

Dissolve the orange gelatin in the boiling water.

Add the pieces of Circus Peanuts, stirring until dissolved. If mixture cools before peanuts are dissolved, you can reheat it in the microwave.

Drain the syrup from the Mandarin oranges, adding enough cold water to equal 1 3/4 cups.

Add to gelatin; chill until partially set.

Stir together the Mandarin oranges and whipped topping; fold into the gelatin mixture.

Pour mixture into a 13 x 9 inch pan.

Chill until firm.

Yields approximately 18 - 3 oz servings

Old 03-27-2010, 03:22 AM

Junie, Where in the world did you come up with that idea, recipe or whatever you could call it? Sounds kinda gross, but I'm willing to try it on one of my kids that will eat anything. And I do mean anything!

Pigzzilla
Old 03-27-2010, 11:54 AM

That's what I like about this place.

I can learn something new-to-me every day. I didn't have any idea what "Circus Peanuts" were until I googled it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circus_Peanuts Laughed out loud, when I realized I've been eating them (used to eat them) since I was a small kid.

Sounds like an interesting recipe. May give it a try, as soon as I can round up some peanuts that aren't roasted.

Thanks for sharing!
Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Pigzzilla, since I love circus peanuts so much, I thought there might be a way to make them at home, so I googled circus peanut recipes. I didn't find a recipe for making them, but Spangler Candy Company had this recipe, so I tried it. It was the only recipe I could find that used them.

BTW, I dehydrate circus peanuts, too. I slice them, then dry until crisp. The kids love them and they seem to keep forever (as long as the kids don't find them)

Circus peanuts are one of the few candies that the dollar store carries that are made in America.

I also make a circus peanut cake, but it doesn't have any circus peanuts in it, just food color and banana flavoring.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:59 PM

It's kind of like putting marshmallows in jello.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:24 PM

Wow! I had no idea what Circus Peanuts were either!

Thanks for the link Lee, I have had them before too but we always called them Marshmallow peanuts. I think my kids might like this. When I first read the recipe I thought ewwww why in the world would anyone put nuts in jello???? LOL
Old 03-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post
It's kind of like putting marshmallows in jello.
You actually melt the circus peanuts in this recipe, but, while I was making it, I thought it would be good to stir in some marshmallows, too. Or, maybe, not melt the circus peanuts all the way. I thought about leaving out the fruit, too. I've got a raging sweet tooth this week.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 PM

Default recipe for "circus peanut"marshmallows

I haven't made these in a long time, because they require a lot of room and make a big mess, but they are just about like the circus peanuts candy.

Utensils needed:

Stand mixer (you must use a stand mixer for this, a hand mixer is not strong enough)
whip attachment (you can use regular beaters but the whip works well)
Small saucepan with lid
candy thermometer
small bowl
4 jelly roll cake pans (you can also use cookie sheets, but it makes less of a mess on a pan with sides)
piping bag with 1/2 inch tip
parchment paper
scissors or pizza cutter

Ingredients:

3 envelopes unflavored Gelatin
1/2 cup ice cold water
1/2 cup room temp water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon banana flavored extract or equivalent banana flavored liquor
2 drops orange food color, or red and yellow food color equivalent.
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
non-stick cooking spray

Directions:

Put the ice water in the bowl of the stand mixer and add the gelatin.
In a small saucepan combine the room temperature water, sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Put the saucepan over medium heat, cover and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes (sugar should melt and the steam should wash all the sugar crystals from the sides of the pan). Remove the cover and clip the candy thermometer to the side of the pan (The bulb of the thermometer should be in the syrup mixture, but not touch the bottom of the pan). Continue to cook until the syrup mixture reaches 240^F (takes about 7-8 minutes). Remove it from the heat right away when it reaches 240^F.
Turn the mixer on low speed and slowly pour the hot syrup mixture down the side of the bowl (so the syrup wont splash) into the gelatin mixture. Once you have added all the syrup, turn the mixer up to high and mix until the fluff is thick and lukewarm about 12-14 minutes. add the banana flavor and food coloring and continue to mix one minute more.

In a small bowl mix the powdered sugar and the corn starch.
Line the jelly roll cake pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray and dust with a little of the powdered sugar mixture.

Put the 1/2 inch tip on your piping bag, and spray the inside of the bag and tip with nonstick cooking spray. Fill the bag with your fluff mixture, and pipe ropes of fluff lengthways on the prepared pans with a fat, skinny, fat skinny design (to look like peanuts). Using scissors or a pizza cutter, sprayed with non-stick spray, cut at every other "skinny" place to resemble peanuts. Cover your fluff with the rest of the powdered sugar mixture and allow them to sit for 4 hours or overnight. Shake off the excess powdered sugar and your "circus peanuts" are ready. For a crispier texture you can dehydrate these in your food dehydrator (use a low heat). Store them in a tin at room temperature.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 PM

Default more about "circus peanuts"

You can play around with the flavor and color of these. But the orange color and banana flavor is the most traditional. Also someone at General mills found that the scraps of these left over from the manufacturing process tasted good mixed with his morning cereal. They used different colors and flavors and "Lucky Charms" were born.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 PM

If you have a dehydrator, try drying miniature marshmallows. They get crispy, like the ones in cereal. The circus peanuts get a bit too hard.

Dehydrated marshmallows have more uses than you'd expect. I throw them in jello salad, ambrosia, and on top of candied sweet potatoes - no need to rehydrate them, they do it on their own. Of course, that's only if I can stay out of them. I love them straight from the jar.