BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 AM

Default Greetings from Alaska

My name is Margie and we currently live in Palmer, Alaska. We have the only certified Grade A Goat Dairy in the State, although unfortunately we are closing and will be moving to Ohio to be closer to family. We are dealing with some medical issues that mandate the move. Anyone want to buy a great Dairy on 5 acres in a Prime Location - Lazy Mountain??

We will be moving to another 5 acre parcel and will get back into goats, and who knows, we just might end up with a mini Dairy down there.

We love self-sufficient life and look forward to being able to share our knowledge with our granddaughters.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Master Pontificator

Welcome to the forum. I am interested in the goat dairy farming. Sorry to hear about the medical concerns and hope you do get back into farming if that is what you want to do.
Pasture and Woodlot Raised Pork
Old 03-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Master Pontificator

Hello Margie,

Good to meet you. Sorry to hear of your health issues. Hope you like your new homestead in Ohio, surely, it has to be a warmer there, than where you folks live now.

Gracie
Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Master Pontificator

Marge,

I would love to hear more about your goat dairy. What all did you make with the milk? I used to milk three lovely nannies. Hope your health issues resolve themselves. We have a thread for prayer requests if you are of like mind. Blessings, firegirl
Old 04-08-2010, 01:51 AM

Default Our Dairy

We were making chevre, feta and a soft pressed cheese (squeeky cheese) and getting ready to start working on some aged and adding liquid milk. We hope one day to maybe do it again once we get settled in Ohio. Their regulations are very similar so it won't be anything different getting ready, just have to decide if we want to go that route or something else. Absolutely will get goats again though, we so miss them.

We are of like mind, please feel free to post for prayer. thank you for asking.

Margie
Old 04-08-2010, 01:52 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
Hello Margie,

Good to meet you. Sorry to hear of your health issues. Hope you like your new homestead in Ohio, surely, it has to be a warmer there, than where you folks live now.

Gracie
We are sure we will like it just have to sell here and get down there to start enjoying it. Yes, it will be a lot warmer and his medical issues and my arthritis will love it!!

Margie
Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 AM

Default Us too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native87 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I am interested in the goat dairy farming. Sorry to hear about the medical concerns and hope you do get back into farming if that is what you want to do.
You have to be passionate about what you do and have a dedication to it all or you won't enjoy it. We keep telling people to not get so big in what you do with animals that you aren't paying attention to them and catching even the smallest of things that don't seem right. Once you get that big you put the health of your stock in jeopardy and you don't enjoy it anymore. Then it's time to think really hard about what's happening. That's one of many reasons we like to stay small. it's more fun that way. And not near as hard to remember everyone's name
Old 04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Kuskolady made the news.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US
Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 PM

What part of Ohio are you relocating to? I'd be interested in buying some cheese from you if it's near enough I absolutely heart feta.