Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Livestock/Horses

Livestock/Horses Cows, sheep, pigs, goats, llamas, and other four-legged friends.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM

Default What a bunch of bull.

So the wife thought it would be a great idea to get a bull. Our cow is happy to stay put and we could probably keep her in the pasture with a string tied around the perimeter but the bull has other plans. I have 5 strands of hot wire on a 50 mile fencer covering 2 acres. He walks through it like it was nothing. I know it works as it has put me on my arse more than once. What next. I have been told to tie a log to him but that would require me actually being able to tie a rope around him (and he isnít gonna stand still for that) and figure out a way to keep it from strangling him.

Any ideas.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Why a bull. If you only have one cow. How old is he? A bull will go through any fence if he wants. What are your plans for him? Once again I ask why a bull?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:38 PM

hamburger would be my first suggestion

Maybe if you had a whole harem for him, he would stay put better. But with only one?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Inactive Member

If you only have one cow, I don't know of any bull that will stay put, especially if there are any cows nearby that are bulling.

Actually, AI would be cheaper than buying and keeping a bull for one cow. If you use a vet for the AI, he/she will usually let you have the semen shipped to him/her and they will store it at no cost.

If the bull was raised there, he might not be as likely to roam.

Also, some breeds are worse about "wandering" or going "huntin" than other breeds.

If he knows he can go through the hot wire, you will never keep him home.

Paul
Old 03-29-2010, 01:50 PM

Donít blame me guys. The wife bought him not me. Iím just trying to figure out how to keep his butt in. I am leaning towards the hamburger thing though.

BTW: He is a Dexter
Old 03-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Inactive Member

I don't know much about Dexters. Aren't they a lot smaller than our traditional beef breeds? I would think a good barbed wire fence would keep him in where electric fences won't.... if the barbed wire fence is built right. Since he is smaller than others like Herefords, Angus, Simenthal, Limousine, etc. He should be easier to keep in.

Paul
Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM

A ring in his nose with a length a chain to touch the wires will almost always keep a bull in a good hot electric fence, preferably REAL high-tensile.

~Martin
Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM

He's 4 years old and goes somewhere around 950 +/-. Was just talking with the wife and she is now considering butchering him. Her new plan is to buy a bottle calf to raise for meat and keep the cow company. I now have to try and talk her out of that one as well.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyAcres View Post
A ring in his nose with a length a chain to touch the wires will almost always keep a bull in a good hot electric fence, preferably REAL high-tensile.

~Martin
How do I get the ring in the nose? Is that something the vet can do for a nominal fee?
Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots_Farm View Post
How do I get the ring in the nose? Is that something the vet can do for a nominal fee?
It won't be easy! LOL

You'll need a squeeze chute to hold him and a halter to hold his head still.
Rings have a sharp self-piercing point that goes thru the septum, but it's often easier to start a hole.

Quote:
He's 4 years old and goes somewhere around 950 +/-.
I wouldn't keep a mature bull around unless you're absolutely sure you can keep him in, especially if you have children.

~Martin

Last edited by AlchemyAcres; 03-29-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Inactive Member

I agree with Martin. I wouldn't keep one you can't keep in. It's also an easy way to develop bad relations with neighbors.

If this cow is your only experience with cattle (and the bull), I would highly recommend against a bottle calf unless you have an experienced knowledgeable cattleman go with you to buy a calf. Many times when a bottle calf is sold, it is because it is a problem calf......You can get taken very easily.

Paul
Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM

I think the wife has been thoroughly convinced to take the bull to slaughter.

As for the bottle calf, Iím not keen on the idea but we know the people. They get theirs from a dairy farm (bulls) and sell them.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 PM

no worries, all of us at BH are willing to help ya, just need to know when we all should meet at your place for BBQ
Old 03-30-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:

As for the bottle calf, Iím not keen on the idea but we know the people. They get theirs from a dairy farm (bulls) and sell them.
Many of the dairies sell their young bulls. Once they are castrated they lose their "meanness" or at least that's what I have been told. We went to our first stock show and there was a young girl showing a steer and you could not see her over her steer.
So do you plan to AI yours.
One more thing remember if you live in a closed range are with any livestock you are responsible for any damage he does so if he gets hit by a car you buy the care or even worse if he hurts someone.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 PM

He sounds more like a problem than anything, Id make him into a pile of steaks if I was you. I can see liability issues like stated above.

-B
Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 PM

Default Just when DOES a bull get 'manly'?

We have had our Dexter bull for 6 months now, he's 18 months old. We got him because, well, AI would be cheaper for two cows, but if TSHTF, I wanted to be able to breed some cattle if necessary without depending on AI if things got weird. We have been warned about how bulls get, and are very careful. However, this is one PWhipped bull. The cows head-butt him regularly, and one cow that calved makes him babysit her calf while she eats. The other cow is still pregnant, but 'plays' with him, headbutting. He tried to mount the freshened cow once or twice, all she does is stand and look back at him in annoyance, so he quits and acts sheepish like he was caught in a car on Lovers' lane. When he gets too close to me, my horse (she's taller and heavier) runs over and bites or kicks him. Seems like he is everyone's little nerd.

Although we will probably steer the bull calf we got from Ma cow, and do steaks, I am wondering just what we will do with our 'big' bull. He nor the cows have even tried to test the fence (4 strand barbed wire, very low for big cattle, but just right for them) the whole 6 months they have been here, but my neighbors say that is because we have a lot of acres of good grass, and bring them into the corral at night, and baby them. I am thinking that I may have the only gay bull in the Dexter breed... Some days he will come wandering up and lick my hand, all pathetic and sad... before the horse sees him...
Old 03-31-2010, 04:47 PM

Mine isnít mean. He is very shy but I canít have him wandering the neighborhood. Iím going to find out when the neighbor will have the vet out and have him look at my cow. It saves me the visit cost (me and the neighbor will share that) and he will tell me if she is pregnant and give me the AI info. As soon as my field dries up enough to get the trailer back there he is going to the locker.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 PM

All the farmers around here use to keep bulls. Then they found out they could get the job done by the local vet & select the bull with all the whistles and bells they were looking for. Much, much cheaper. They no longer had to run the foolish beast down with the pickup. No longer had to worry if someone else was injured. Could use the extra room in the barn the bull pen took up.

I have seen bulls that had never shown a sign of meaness suddenly turn on their owners for no apparent reason. Unless you are really bent on having an unpredictable powerhouse around to breed a single cow.....steaks and hamburger sound great.

FWIW

OT
Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 PM

If you DO decide to AI your cow, please make sure you get Dexter semen (availability of straws from different bulls are posted for sale on the Dexter webpage) . Your little girl probably couldn't take the size of an Angus or other calf... Vets around here will AI cows for a fee - even the county Ag agent is certified in it.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:

As for the bottle calf, I’m not keen on the idea but we know the people. They get theirs from a dairy farm (bulls) and sell them.
Around here, there are at least a dozen bull calves at auctions weekly. I have seen them go for almost nothing. You could easily bring one home for$20. Most of the farmers simply take the bull calves off the cow (weekly) and bring them directly to auction, so the bulls are less than a week old. They are sold as bucket calves, but almost all are under a week old.
My point is--- if you are willing to bottle raise the thing, just go to a livestock auction and buy one 2-3-4 days old for ten bucks. You don't have that much into it at that point, so if you are willing to take the time to care for it, you don't have anything to loose and much to gain if you're successful.