BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 04-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Default Howdy from Houston, TX (long version)

Well hello there...

I found Backwoods Home Magazine a couple of years ago completely by accident. Since then I have picked up a few magazines here and there, always with the intent to subscribe.

Then I forget, and life goes on...that's being taken care of...too many good bits of info there for me to let any more go by without having them here to refer to.

My wife and I live in suburb of Houston right now, and are making repairs to the house in order to put it on the market. For the last two years we have talked about moving to some property where I can't see the neighbors, a place to make our lives a bit more self sufficient. My career keeps me tied to larger cities, but I'm more than happy to make a drive. Currently I drive 65 miles one way, takes about 1.5 hours to cross almost the entire metroplex.

I would much rather do that on country roads than toll roads and bumper to bumper traffic...*laugh*

We sat down some months ago and came up with our 5 year plan. Now we are moving forward with that. My career path is IT management, hers is IT consulting, a candle and soap business and seamstress work. I grew up a city boy with country grandparents, spending time on lakes and ranches. She grew up on an Iowa farm...so while neither of us have done it in a while, we think we will do ok with some practice and patience.

We will be looking for @40 acres a bit NE of Houston. Room for a larger garden, a few hogs, a cow and she's trying to talk me into a flock of chickens.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 PM

Welcome to the forum. Good luck in finding a piece of property.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Shoot--most day trips will lead you to more property than you can shake a stick at N&E of Houston. Several folks on here from the Piney Woods so shouldnt be a prob hookin up with something good and relatively cheap too.
Most stuff east of I-45 is country-fied and reasonably priced.
They even allow 'whole herds of chickens' over that way so your wife should be happy--ha.

Now if you was to turn and go west--wellllllllllllllllll

a person could drive all day tomorrow and half of last week and still not be to El Paso from where you are--
Little dryer out that way too.

Good luck
and
welcome!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:58 PM

Thank ye kindly...

As far as going NE of Houston...we are going to try and stay somewhat close. I work out in the Deer Park/Pasa-get-down-dena area...and I would like my commute to be less than an hour...

But you are right...there's a bunch of property, it's just a matter of finding the RIGHT property, and part of that will be checking flood plains...*laugh*
Old 04-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Master Pontificator

"Relatively cheap"? No, not any more. Urban and suburban flight have taken care of any 'good, cheap' land to the north (I59) or east (I10) of Houston. Once cheap acreage has been bought up by developers (check out the Peach Creek subdivision east of Conroe and the land just west of 59 and 242 that *used* to be swampy thicket) and made into McMansion estates. We've been here for 25+ years, and finally decided we could get more land, and better land, in north Texas, and bought there several years ago.

If you live in Houston, you no doubt already know that there is a large and growing illegal alien population in what was once the cheap woods north and east of Houston (read Mexican drug culture). It's not a very nice place anymore, sorry but that's the fact. Porter, New Caney, Cleveland, Conroe, Huffman, Dayton, and points north up to about Livingston, are becoming what I can only call 'semi-rural ghettos', because we have the... uh... what to call it... hip hop/gang types that are just about everywhere. This used to be a nice area in general, but no more. Crowded, traffic, and crime crime crime. Delapidated trailer houses with 4 or 5 families living in them at once. Meth everywhere.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, just factual. But as I said, you probably already know that.

Also, if your house is in Harris co., I am sure you're aware that many, many homes lost a great deal in appraised value last year. *Every single person I know* in Harris co. had their appraised value go down dramatically. Like $20,000.00 and $30,000.00 plus. Sure, good for paying less taxes, but not so good for resale value. What we will do with our home here when we move is yet unknown--we are currently looking at dismantling much of it and simply taking it with us piecemeal and selling the lot. DH has a semi and that makes this feasible.

Livingston, Moss Hill, Rye, Batson, Votaw, Onalaska, over to about Huntsville and north of that arc might be worth checking out. But again, you are probably aware, cheap land in east Texas just really doesn't exist anymore. Even the Texas Veteran Landboard properties have gone up dramatically in the past several years. Maybe check out foreclosures?

Just my .02
Old 04-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Welcome Hoss,

We are in Central Texas. We only have an acre now and are looking to buy in East Texas area. We like the area outside of Lufkin. We have some friends in the area and are looking to buy in that area before we retire in the next 7 years. The prices have gone up but I am patient and figure when the time is right a piece at our price will come available.

Enjoy the forum
Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 PM

Relatively is just that...relative.

I expect to pay a pretty penny for property that 1 - is out of the 100 year flood plain, and 2 - comes with mineral rights or at the very least a rider that will allow for water drilling rights on the property.

Ideally I will find a piece of property someone who meant well started...and can't deal with the commute to Houston. I already know I can hack it, I've been doing it now for 3 years...*laugh*

This is also why we are on a 5 year plan instead of purchasing a property right now, while I have a mortgage on the property we are living in.

As far as dealing with less than ideal neighbors...there are ways to deal with that as well. None are as ideal as not having to screw with it, but between my IT knowledge of camera's and security systems, large dogs, firearms and driving retired police cruisers...we have ways of reducing our risk...*laugh*
Old 04-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatson View Post
Welcome Hoss,

We are in Central Texas. We only have an acre now and are looking to buy in East Texas area. We like the area outside of Lufkin. We have some friends in the area and are looking to buy in that area before we retire in the next 7 years. The prices have gone up but I am patient and figure when the time is right a piece at our price will come available.

Enjoy the forum
And taht last bit is what we are doing, when we find the right property, at the right price...we'll know it...until then I just prepare and throw cash in the bank
Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Master Pontificator

Oh yeah, lots of that $250K and up for 5 and 10 acres land still available in and around Houston. Mineral rights anywhere in Texas is much harder to find but drilling for water should be no problem in most places.

We spent I guess roughly 20 years looking at and buying and selling land in this area and few other places around the state. Never failed to make a hefty profit, LOL! Prices have gone up so much it's harder to make a profit that is worth the work involved. We have a nice 29 acre parcel up in Angelina county we are considering selling. Taxes are negligable and it's just about doubled in appraised value since we bought it as investment property LOL! We're hanging on to our land up north, too valuable to part with mostly due to it's rural nature.

No doubt you'll find a good piece of land.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

GDau, when I mentioned N&E of Houston, I meant it as you said sort of......

My meaning was about 2 hours drive up and away from--ha.

About halfway between H and DFW area and east of I-45 and probably on a line from Tyler to Paris and east to the La border. Might even find something worthwhile an hour or so east of H if NASA pulls out.

Reasonable depends upon the size of ones back pocket in most cases.
The foreclosure market is pretty open and there are a few bargains there now but with min rights--well, good luck on that.

If one can break loose of the metromess then down along the border holds some choice bargains on land.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Master Pontificator

Yeah, I mistakenly assumed that 'north of Houston' meant a just that. I was actually typing my reply and posted it and then read that the OP had just minutes before posted, saying Deer Park or Pasadena, which are both 'in town' in the general area of the ship channel and refineries and much of it inside the loop and inside beltway 8. Big difference. I mistakenly assumed they were looking for land out of town based on the overall tone of the post and things said like they were used to commuting and would like to spend time on country roads rather than in traffic. If there are country roads in Deer Park or Pasadena, I'd be gobsmacked. Even the little towns that used to be 'country' and commutable from Houston aren't what they used to be. Take Alvin, Pearland, Rosharon.... all highways and very very few country roads. Anything down 288 is becoming developed at an ever increasing rate.

And yes, for any land one might find with mineral rights intact, my guess is you'd pay way up in the hundreds of thousands if not more for 40 acres. You would be, in effect, paying for those minerals when you purchased the land.

Anyhoo, I'm sure the OP will find something.

Last edited by GoodDaughter; 04-22-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:30 PM

Yup...I'm looking for @40 acres..and by driving country roads rather than traffic...

For those who know Houston I cross the majority if the city going to work...I live out in Cypress and drive to the DP/Pasadena area...it's a haul and the first 30-45 mins of the trip I'm in stop n' go nastiness...the rest is open freeway driving.

My livelihood is tied to big cities, so moving further out, at least at this point, is really not feasible. We are expecting to pay 250-500k for the land, without much of a house (if one at all), and then we can build what we want, how we want.

Thankfully we have other options if things go truly poorly, with family land in TN and LA who know to expect us if for some reason things go to pot.

You are correct when you say Mineral Rights are touchy...and expensive...it's a wish list I've got. It's not a deal killer, just something nice to have...to own the land and everything with it...