BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:37 PM

Default Pesty Squirrels

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone could share information about how to get rid of pesty Squirrels in a garage. It is a old garage with lots of cracks and holes around edges, up high, etc. they come and go in there, bothering my stuff. So far now nest in there but it could happen. There is no food ever in the garage. Is there a way to make them want to stay out or do I have to trap them or ??? Appreciate any suggestions...Thank you,,Patsy

Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

short of a 16 gauge - I have heard that mothballs will run them out
Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM

You could get some chicken wire and cover the holes from the inside and if that doesn't work, you should refer to Tex's post.

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership
Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 PM

Be Bewwy Bewwy quiet....
I'm hunting squirrels........
Bwahahahahahahaha,,,,,,,, couldn't resist.

Seriously.
A small live trap baited with salted in the shell peanuts will get them every time, in my experience. (my kids wouldn't let me whack them, even during squirrel season)

Now. Releasing them can be a problem.
I found you want to release them across a natural barrier. That being a river, or freeway, or significant distance. (10 miles or more, no kidding) If you release too close to home, they will be back.

The other release issue is safety. Stand on the tailgate of the pickup, dump rodent out of trap onto ground. Don't let them get a chance to chomp on you. They can hurt you.

Best wishes
Wyo
Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 AM

Default squirrel trap

I work for a pest control business. when squirrels invade space they have to by excluded. We use hardware cloth and steel wool for the most part and pepper foam sometimes. The steel wool is used for holes less than one inch diameter anything bigger and they will pull it out. Hardware cloth rather than chicken wire as some of our squirrels (douglas and golden mantle) are quite small. It also keeps out chipmunks where chicken wire won't. The pepper foam is used for around pipe inlets and the like. The first step is always exclusion otherwise it will be a never ending battle.

LoiDreams
Old 05-02-2010, 10:40 PM

As with any pest, your first step should be to remove whatever makes your place attractive to the pest. Close openings, remove food, deny shelter. Then, call in the pros.

In most cases, a "Critter Abatement Technician" (CAT) will fill the bill. In your unique situation, you might be better served by a FEline Replacement Rodent Eliminating Technician, or FERRET.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoiDreams View Post
I work for a pest control business. when squirrels invade space they have to by excluded. We use hardware cloth and steel wool for the most part and pepper foam sometimes. The steel wool is used for holes less than one inch diameter anything bigger and they will pull it out. Hardware cloth rather than chicken wire as some of our squirrels (douglas and golden mantle) are quite small. It also keeps out chipmunks where chicken wire won't. The pepper foam is used for around pipe inlets and the like. The first step is always exclusion otherwise it will be a never ending battle.

LoiDreams
Ditto!

A food source inside the garage isn't the issue. Your garage is providing shelter from the weather and a good hiding place, too.

Taking down the population around your home, by whatever means are comfortable for you will help some. But, if your place is like many, you won't get rid of all of them. You've gotta kick them out and keep them out. In addition to the hardware cloth and foam Loi mentioned, try nailing boards (on the inside if outside appearance is an issue) over the larger opening. Scrap lumber and thicker plywood should work OK. Scrap metal can be nailed or screwed in place. Even lids from 16 oz tin cans will work for smaller holes. #10 lids for larger ones. (Side open can openers work best for this. Less danger of getting cut on the sharp metal.)

Hope this helps, a bit.
Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natures-gal View Post
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone could share information about how to get rid of pesty Squirrels in a garage.
Rat traps baited with peanut butter and secured, so they aren't drug off after they snap. (I think I just gave this answer to another post too. LOL)

You have to close up the openings so you can't get new squirrels or other critters in. I remember once, when one of the boys was about ten, came running in screaming because we had three possums hanging in one of the sheds in the rafters. Between the feed and the garbage cans, they were making themselves right at home on the place.