Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy > Conventional Oil/Gas

Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Thumbs down 20 lb propane tank fill up costs

Yesterday, we had a 20 lb tank filled. Almost keeled over when I found out the cost was $18.00!

Since we have a number of 20 lb and 2 100# cylinders didn't have any 20 pounders refilled last year. Year before last it was $9 to fill one, at the same place.

At 80% fill rate on a 20 lb tank, that equals 16 lbs of propane.
16 lbs divided by 4.11 lbs per gal = 3.89 gal used
$18.00 divided by 3.89 = $4.62 per gallon

Bulk propane cost us $1.79 (last fill up in March)

I expect to pay a premium for filling small tanks. But $2.83 per gallon is a ripoff!!

What are you paying to fill 20 lb cylinders?

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:49 AM

I happen to ask about 20 pound refills at my propane refill place just the other day, and she said $17.00. I thought THAT was bad... Electric is looking better and better! lol

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:12 PM

In my area it's $13 for a 20 lb. bottle.I had my 100lb bottle filled in October for $75.

The Blue Rhino bottle exchange at Walmart is $14.95 plus tax.

My major gripe is the OPD (overfill protection device?).I have several older bottles that cannot be filled,unless I have them converted,which is not worth the cost.I think the OPD is a scam.I think some propane industry pencil pusher thought"Hey,we can require everyone to buy these and we can make even more money".

I never had,saw,or heard of anyone having problems with the old bottles.I think it's to keep from accidentely putting 10 cents of extra propane in someone's bottle.

I've been a career fireman for 32 years and I have been to many propane emergencies and I've never seen a case of over filling causing a problem.It's usually a rusted through bottle or a broken supply line,or a container hit by a car.

Andy J
Old 05-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Master Pontificator

I got our filled today for $15. They just put the refilling station in at our local hardware store this past week, and that is the cheapest 20 lb cylinder refilling has been for several years around here.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Jones View Post
In my area it's $13 for a 20 lb. bottle.I had my 100lb bottle filled in October for $75.

My major gripe is the OPD (overfill protection device?).I have several older bottles that cannot be filled,unless I have them converted,which is not worth the cost.I think the OPD is a scam.I think some propane industry pencil pusher thought"Hey,we can require everyone to buy these and we can make even more money".

I never had,saw,or heard of anyone having problems with the old bottles.I think it's to keep from accidentely putting 10 cents of extra propane in someone's bottle.

I've been a career fireman for 32 years and I have been to many propane emergencies and I've never seen a case of over filling causing a problem.It's usually a rusted through bottle or a broken supply line,or a container hit by a car.

Andy J
I agree with you Andy. In addition to what you mentioned, probably one stupid person did something as equally stupid with a tank. Then the nanny state decided that EVERYONE had to be protected from themselves.

We swapped out a good OPD tank for a Blue Rhino, thinking we'd get it refilled, later at our local supplier. Paid more for the propane than we would have otherwise. (Sunday and local supplier closed.) No dice! Local supplier couldn't refill it. Not that he didn't try. Something about the way the intake was designed wouldn't allow his nozzle to fill it. So, we got ripped off, once again. Blue Rhino had our tank and the premium price (at the time) we paid.

Since then, we've bought new tanks at Sam's Club (best price found) so we wouldn't get caught in that trap again. Now, this price jump. I'm sure that wholesale propane is lower than $1.79/gal. (in our area). So, IMHO to add $2.83 per gallon ($11.00/20 lb tank) profit on top of difference between wholesale and $1.79 is outrageous. Since it only takes 5 minutes to fill a tank, it can't be recooping labor expense.

Please don't misunderstand. I believe in making a decent profit, regardless of the product or service. Just hate to get ripped off because, at this point, I can't refill a 20 pounder, myself, from our bulk tank.

Sure hope Home Depot has their Memorial Day sale on charcoal again this year. And that the gas grill turned solar cooker works out well.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Jones View Post

Andy J
I don't think they fill those "exchange" bottles full... That's why they "seem" cheaper.

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLee View Post
I agree with you Andy. In addition to what you mentioned, probably one stupid person did something as equally stupid with a tank. Then the nanny state decided that EVERYONE had to be protected from themselves.

We swapped out a good OPD tank for a Blue Rhino, thinking we'd get it refilled, later at our local supplier. Paid more for the propane than we would have otherwise. (Sunday and local supplier closed.) No dice! Local supplier couldn't refill it. Not that he didn't try. Something about the way the intake was designed wouldn't allow his nozzle to fill it. So, we got ripped off, once again. Blue Rhino had our tank and the premium price (at the time) we paid.

Since then, we've bought new tanks at Sam's Club (best price found) so we wouldn't get caught in that trap again. Now, this price jump. I'm sure that wholesale propane is lower than $1.79/gal. (in our area). So, IMHO to add $2.83 per gallon ($11.00/20 lb tank) profit on top of difference between wholesale and $1.79 is outrageous. Since it only takes 5 minutes to fill a tank, it can't be recooping labor expense.

Please don't misunderstand. I believe in making a decent profit, regardless of the product or service. Just hate to get ripped off because, at this point, I can't refill a 20 pounder, myself, from our bulk tank.

Sure hope Home Depot has their Memorial Day sale on charcoal again this year. And that the gas grill turned solar cooker works out well.

Lee
Lee, Keep in mind that a good portion of that cost is taxes to pay for the nanny state, so it can decide what we need protection from.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 AM

Here Blue Rino is $19.95 for 14#, the next over fill is $14 for 20# and will do old tanks for the 'tar kettle'
Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Master Pontificator

The Blue Rhino with exchange of one of their tanks is $30 here. To buy a starter 20 lb tank here is over $70. Have no idea why it is so high here except looks like no one else is selling them. You can get refill,s at some place,s but i heard some not so even dealing,s.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 AM

Twenty pound tanks for $70. WOW. I thought things were bad around here.

Last time I checked new tanks at Sam's Club were a little less than $30. Even with that outrageous refill price mentioned earlier, that's only $48, give or take.

Just checked.... Lowes has them for $32.97 here. Google: Lowes propane tank, then enter your zipcode to see if they are available near you and the price.

Lee
Old 05-06-2010, 11:00 PM

Last 20# tank refill here was $19.00
Old 05-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Master Pontificator

I checked again yesterday $29.99 to exchange an empty tank for another one. $59.99 + tax for a starter tank without exchange. Not as much as i thought still dang near the 70 mark. Seem,s they are cheaper at the local wally world, i don't know how much i don't shop there but maybe once or twice a year. The local propane co. is said to fill a 20 lb. tank for $18 + change, i guess it's the tank that up's the cost on blue rhino.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:29 AM

No, IMHO, it isn't the tank. They have a captive audience. Once a $60 investment is made in a new full tank, people are reluctant to shell out more money for tanks they can have refilled, themselves.

To me, that's the only reason that makes sense. Charging $30 vs $18 is because a person can't get a Blue Rhino tank filled anywhere else.

Read somewhere that the refilled tanks are at less than 80%. Don't know if it's true, but it easy to check. We have 2 of those blasted tanks. One came "free" with a grill. All we have to do is weight the exchanged tank. Weigh the empty one before it's turned in. That'll give the tare weight.

Lee
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 AM

It is $13.00 here for a refill, but a local propane dealer has a special on Thursdays, $11.75 for 20#ers. I just noticed at the local grocery Weis' they have a seasonal display in front of the stores where they sell all kinds of outdoor supplies, tables, coolers grills etc. They had a sign on several new 20# propane tanks, $19.99, they are empty, but I still thought that it was a reasonable price for a new tank, and if I didn't have 3 already, I might have picked a couple more up.
I never liked the idea of those exchanges, and have never used them.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Master Pontificator

We got out extra propane tank at Sam's. I think we paid $23.00 or thereabouts. It does cost over $20 to refill unless I go to the gas company. They are refilled by weight and so I don't take them until empty because the price is the same no matter how much gas is still in there. We don't exchange tanks. Too expensive around here and you can get stuck with someone else's problems.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Around here we just set our empty 20# tanks out by our large tank in the yard.
When the man comes by to fill up the big tank he always fills our small ones and we just pay the bulk rate. Works out great...

Talk to the driver the next time he fills up your bulk tank and see if he will fill your 20 pounders. Most of them don't have a problem with it...
Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM

You are lucky!

Around here, the trucks aren't equipped with the nozzles anymore to fill tanks smaller than 120 gallon ones. That's according to our propane supplier when I asked about leaving empty 100# ones beside our big tank for filling.

Lee
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

$2.67/ lb. 100# bottle filled for $65. (Measured by actual weight)
*Robert Frost*
Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Had 2 100# ones filled a few weeks ago. $75 each. Both were empty. Had to replace the valve in one that I've had for several years. Was used when I got it.

Lee
Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 PM

I get mine filled at the local Amish bulk store for $12 for a 20# tank. I think it was only $10.50 last year, the swap out tanks at the gas stations are about $20 for exchange.