BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 PM

Default propane tank fill up costs

just had our 20 lb tank filled and it was $18 also, maybe it's time to do the exchanges at the gas stations! I switched from an outdoor fire pit to a propane tank fire pit last winter just because the smoke bothered my wife's lungs and breathing. Sure love the new fire pit but the propane fill ups are annoying.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Don't look for propane prices to get much cheaper. I'm afraid it will go the way of gas. Once the demand is there, it won't take them long to hike up the price no matter how much more they are fracking. We started out with bottles then went to two 120 lb big tanks. It cost us more to run to town then it did to fill up a ten lb. tank
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 AM

$18.00 is a great price.
My 20lb'ders are $24.00

And mine are good for about 3 months--so thats not a bad fuel consumption or price for comfort.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:57 PM

Default $$$$ Here in New Yorkisstan

I had to switch suppliers an new 500gal tank filed 1/2 way cost me $3.89gal $780.00 for 200 gallons.
So far since January I've spent almost $1,200.00
Old 03-13-2014, 03:45 PM

I have not paid any attention to small bottle fills or exchange price for a long while now.... I'm locked into $1.89 a gallon on budget bill until April.... Hate to guess what the new contract price will be.... OUCH....

I ask my supplier and was told 20lb refill are down now to $17...

Good luck
Old 02-13-2015, 03:27 PM

I realize that this is a old thread. Here's my propane story

We have several 20 pounders. I like to wait till about May when the local propane company has super Tuesdays and will fill them for $ 10 each. That special lasts all summer. Then in the colder months, they will run a special for 1 day in a month. You never know when it will be. They run a ad in the paper when it is, but we do not get the paper anymore. So I ask the relative who gets the paper to let me know when they see such a ad.

Today was the day. The best special I have ever seen on 20 pounds. $ 6.99 and that includes the tax. No limits either. We got 2 tanks filled. I wanted to buy 2 new ones, but could not talk the hubby into buying any. We have a friend who said he has some extra tanks. I am trying to talk him out of a few
Old 02-13-2015, 03:34 PM

That's an awesome price! Around here all you can do is the bottle exchange at a mini-mart where you are only getting 15# in a 20# bottle for $20.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:45 PM

Well just over a week ago, we had 2 filled at a Country Max farm store, for $ 16 each. I was not happy about that. Then a day or so later, I found out about this special coming up.

We use 100 pounders for our kitchen stove. Used to be a special like this, they would fill them for 5 times, the price of the 20 pound size. That was nice.
No longer, however. Last 100 pounder cost us $ 75. That size tank will last anywhere from 7 to 9 months. Which is cheap cooking if you ask me

Goal this summer is to get more 20 pounders and to get them filled on the super Tuesday days. The hubby even took one to the mini cabin they have in the woods to use when
deer hunting last fall. He uses a heater on top of it.

Last edited by CrossRoads; 02-13-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:45 PM

I just recently found out that our local Tractor Supply Store refills propane. Most of the local stores cost $15-$25 to refill or exchange. If you take a tank that is not completely empty you get no credit, they still charge you for "5 gallon".

TSC (Tractor Supply) only charges for what they put in your tank, and yesterday it was $1.79. Got two tanks filled (9.6 gals) for $16.

Glad I found them!

RJ
Old 02-14-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
If you take a tank that is not completely empty you get no credit, they still charge you for "5 gallon".
You can buy gauges to show how much is left in the tank to prevent that happening
Old 02-14-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJammer View Post
I just recently found out that our local Tractor Supply Store refills propane. Most of the local stores cost $15-$25 to refill or exchange. If you take a tank that is not completely empty you get no credit, they still charge you for "5 gallon".

TSC (Tractor Supply) only charges for what they put in your tank, and yesterday it was $1.79. Got two tanks filled (9.6 gals) for $16.

Glad I found them!

RJ
Rev I have found out the same thing. 5 gal. tank only cost me 8$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
You can buy gauges to show how much is left in the tank to prevent that happening
BFF I am explaining to you they still charge you 15$, no mater how much is in your tank. you could have a half full tank and they would charge you 15 to 20$
Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy888888 View Post
I sell propane for $18.00 for a full 20# . you think that's a ripoff?? then pay my rent electric etc, and pay my employees too.....or do you think I should pay them $2 an hour? pay my insurance and and the money I spent installing the tank, backhoe concrete electrician block fence etc......you pay that and you can buy it for cost!!

same price as walmart except 5 pounds more!!!!!
If you can't pay your employees. then you should close up your store and go on welfare. or better yet move to a communist country where they guarantee you a living
Old 02-14-2015, 09:53 PM

Was talking to a friend of our's today, and I asked him if he had went and got the recent Friday deal on the propane and
he said yes. So I said yes, it was a good deal, and because there was no limit, I really liked that part.
So he says, well technically there is a limit, you can only have 6 tanks on your vehicle at one time.
Is this true ?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:23 PM

Used to work for a propane co & it was my experience that because of summer cooking out etc the small tanks were rarely a bargain in summer but if you can swing filling your 150 gallon tank in say August ( i know that is tough with that pesky Aug electric bill) it usually will save you big time and keep you from being caught with your pants down when a Sept/Oct cold snap sneaks in when the tank is low. Some people have the the big tanks on a trailer to get the lower price & refill thier little tanks and propane tractor etc at home.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 PM

Default Fill up today Feb 17 2015

Filled my 100 pounder for $1.99 plus tax today at the Tractor Supply on Rt 72 Athens GA.
Best price I've seen in a few years.