BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 AM

Default Hello from Indiana

Hi Ya'll

Been a BWH subscriber for about 2 years now. I love the mag, and have several of the books. We're gonna try and sell our 3000 sq ft money pit this spring and go the homestead route. For now I'm looking for land and just dreamin' . We're about 20 miles west of Bloomington, Indiana.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Passed On

Welcome Proud_Pappa!

We are south of you, a few miles from Salem. If you are down this way, drop in at Conrad Machine Shop, south of town on 135. No, not in the phone book. Our phone is through the local IT provider.

We do a lot of gardening, have 5 laying hens, and run a small repair/welding/machine shop as a retirement business. Do a lot of work on farm equipment, and lawn and garden stuff. Trying to make ends meet, and hoping to get some solar stuff up this year.

What about your interests? Are you into gardening, small livestock, or alternative energy?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience View Post
Welcome Proud_Pappa!
Snip>
What about your interests? Are you into gardening, small livestock, or alternative energy?
I'm an industrial electrician by trade. My hobby is Amateur Radio. I'm interested in finding a bit o land (probably won't find more than 5 acres for what I can afford), and building a small off grid home. I want to do a little gardening (permaculture type) and have some chickens and maybe goats for milk/cheese. I've got 10 years till I'm eligible for retirement....and I don't trust either my companies retirement OR Social Security to be "there" in 10 years....so my "retirement plan" is to get payed off and as self sufficient as possible in the next 10 years.

That's probably more info than you bargained for....
Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Master Pontificator

Welcome aboard, Proud_Papa!

DH did the same thing last year. We cashed in what little 401K retirement money we had not lost in the crash and started prepping heavy. We also got out of debt. Now all of our purchases are paid with cash when we can afford them. We are in hopes that DH will be able to retire in 7 years when he is 56. We are working to be as self-sufficient as we can and to live for several years on as little as possible with solar power, home-grown fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, eggs. Then we will be ready for him to stay home, work part-time when he wants to for just the essentials, and to enjoy life.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Passed On

Proud_Pappa,

Have you looked for a place in the area around Bedford? With the GM foundry laying off, and Ford's old plant closed there, property prices should be pretty reasonable. It's not that far down 37.... The faster you can get that homestead started, the better, IMHO. It takes time.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience View Post
Proud_Pappa,

Have you looked for a place in the area around Bedford? With the GM foundry laying off, and Ford's old plant closed there, property prices should be pretty reasonable. It's not that far down 37.... The faster you can get that homestead started, the better, IMHO. It takes time.
For the time being, I'm locked in to driving to Indy for my job. Bedford to Indy is a 2 hour trek....a bit too far for me. My drive is currently 1 hour each way, which is ok. I'm looking in Owen, Greene, Morgan, and Brown. It'll probably end up being Owen.

Bedford would be a great area though....I was born there and raised in Tunnelton...which is a little burg about 10 miles SE of Bedford. I'm not ready to make that kinda drive every day for the next 10 plus years.

Thanks for the input though...that is a very true statement about the state of the economy round about Bedford. I have a couple cousins who worked at the Ford plant....USED to work at the Ford plant.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 PM

Hey Proud Poppa,
SW IN here, Daviess Co. at present.
General Class HAM. 40 yrs of wildcrafting, gardening, etc.
about 3 yrs. from retiring from the 'real job'!!
Good luck with your plans, this forum can be a big help to you.
73 and God bless,
foxfire
Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I know Brown Co. and Johnson Co. are crazy expensive. I think (not sure) Morgan Co is pretty rich too.....

Dh and I looked at a piece of land down around Madison In. that was REASONABLE (ok, it was a steal) but we were not ready to pull the trigger and move that far away.

I have to imagine that around Columbus with so many businesses going under, that there would be several for sale, and several bank owned properties......
Old 05-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Smile Hello Proud_Poppa

Hello from S. of Linton.... Its nice to see so many people from the area on the forum. I find myself on here a lot reading, learning, and prepping for our homestead dream. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes from my fellow hoosiers! This is an awesome website....just as BWH is an awesome mag!! It seems like the older I get the more I have left to learn....heck, when I was 18 I thought I knew it all!!

PP
Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Passed On

foxfire,

You're in the heart of Amish country! See you at Dinky's auction sometime maybe? We try to hit the big ones Spring and Fall.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 PM

Patience,
I try to make the spring and fall sales! Fun times!! LOTS of stuff!! Get to Dinky's every few weeks too. Good folks around here.

Wookie64, do you know Triple H Gun Club and Restaurant?? Truly the best combination I can think of!!!! Firearms and good food!!!!

Y'all take care,
God bless,
foxfire
Old 05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Passed On

foxfire,

Okay, I'll wear a nametag that says "Patience". See you there. I'm a tall old skinny guy. I usually go on the day they sell machinery and antique stuff.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 PM

I wanted to say hi also
Old 05-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Passed On

davidlj1958,

Are you a Hoosier too? Welcome!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Don't mean to high jack the thread so I'll make this quick:
Patience. I'll prob have a hat on that has "Foxfire" on the front. That's my old CB handle from back in the early 70's!!
foxfire