BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:39 PM

Default Hello from N.E Ohio!

Hello all! I'm known as The Unusual Farm Chick. I'm a mother of 3 young'uns and have been married... 9 years? or something like that.
WE have lived on our current 1.16 acre homestead for over 8 years. In just a month we will be moving to a 3 acre spread as tenants.The owner uses majority of the land as an organic market garden, (he sells produce to local resteraunts). I'm a big heirloom seed junkie. I have this bad habit of not marking my flats when I plant the seeds. I can never sit still and I laugh....alot... to the point where I get told I laugh alot.
We are super low on animals due to the upcoming move. Down to 4 hens and 4 meat rabbits. Add in the 6 pound mop, who endures the dress up torture of our 4 yr old girl "Frog", and my hands seem half full.
I live to garden. I will be downsizing from a 80X50 food garden to a 20X30 plot in the new move. So new space conscious gardening adventures will be in my future.
I have been bloggin about our Homesteading adventures for over 4 years now and have recently introduced a new media to the site. I began traveling around, making videos as a way to share the great world of Back to basics living. From the various homesteading lifestyles, skilled Artisans and the ocassional intriguing festival.
I make the videos as a way to give encouragement & smiles. To educate & just share something positive in this crazy world around us.
Actually, one of your long time members is my occasional Camera guy. Dawgus works for cheap! And when I say cheap I mean FREE! Except the occasional coffee or sandwich of course.
I look forward to exploring this great board some more and participate in a like minded community of positive individuals.
Sweetest Dreams!
~The Unusual Farm Chick
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

I see that you finally made it! Welcome!
*Robert Frost*
Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 AM

LOL. Yes. Thanks to a few friends, I am official. Wish you could have gone with us to Stella's. Although, you may have ended up inside all day like Dawgus as I roamed the mountains & Holler on a 4 wheeler. Stella is a most kind & warm hostess. And the foood..... Oh my, you missed some good stuff!
& thank you for the welcoming. I am very happy to be on BWH.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM

Default By all means

welcome and post a link to your blog when you have a moment.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Inactive Member

Welcome to the forum. I hope you post a link to your blog. There is a board, HERE, to post the link.

I look forward to reading your blog, and your postings on here.

Paul
Old 05-25-2010, 05:03 PM

Good to see another Buckeye here
Good luck with the new place
Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 AM

About time you got here DORK! lol welcome aboard. Everyone feel free to give her a hard time. I owe her a lot of those....:-)
Old 05-26-2010, 04:31 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Hey Tammie , welcome to the forum. Glad ya finally made it in here to join us. Now if ya can stay up late enough to come in chat.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 AM

Str8shooter~ Thank you for the kind welcome. I will get my blog link listed in my profile.
PaulNKS~ Thank you & I'll be sure to visit the link & share the blog site. Thank you for the welcoming. I am very happy to be on BHM. For years I have heard Dawgus talk about how much he likes it here.
TreeHog~ LOL. Thank you for the welcome & your well wishes for our new place. The move begins in July but the Garden begins this week over there. Having the owner an avid gardener as myself & even better they are interested in SS, so I feel rather lucky to have understanding landlords (that feels so wierd to hear "landlord". Have not had one of those in like a decade ).
Dawgus~ or rather TARD.It only took 2 years but I still came over read the threads once in a while. You know how distracted i can...ohhhhsomething shiney! What was I saying?...Oh yeah Thanks Tard. I owe ya for that one.
Stella~ HAHA. As you can see if this is time stamped, I'm down with the Sun and up before it rises. School will be out soon so I may end up staying awake longer since my oldest is on this kick for not going to bed until 11 on weekends. I'll have to reserve a night or 2 a week just to check out this chat thing.
Thank you everyone for such a nice welcome. I already feel like BHM is "home". Knowing so many already makes it even easier.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 AM

PailNKS~ I'm not "cool enough" to post in that forum yet. So I hope it's O.K that this once I include the site here....
(Not allowed )
Dawgus is my usual weekend Camera guy for the videos. I have a few others too but he helps out the most. I'm not hollywood or anything. Actually until I began the new media series, I had never played around with it at all. My computer speed/memory is not that great so the editing can be choppy at times. Working on that but my budget(as in no $$ due to a VERY low gas budget) prevents an upgrade for now.
I am always on the lookout for more Homesteads SS Artisans willing to endure me for a day. I am planning a trip to Mo in late July. My Bestie now lives there and I have 2 spotlights confirmed not far from her including 1 in Kansas. Hopefully next year I will be to accumalate some more Sponsors for curbing gas costs. I would LOVE to travel out to many more states. Writing/sending sponsor proposals has not been as fruitful as I had hoped thus far. I send out on average 10 a week.
I am hoping by July to have my YUDU set up bought for silk screening T's at home. Sell some Farm Chick shirts/cloth grocery bags & my upcycled Aprons to afford the fuel. (ex. 1 T sold at $20 would give 5 gallons of gas if it stays at the $3 range and the costs I estimate per shirt does not go up).
I love adventuring out like this meeting so many great people. Better then any vacation!

Last edited by Anon001; 05-26-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Inactive Member

Just click on the link I provided. Then click the button that says "New Thread", just like you did here to post. It's very simple.

Thanks
Paul