BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 05-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Inactive Member

Default "Hi" from Central Maine

Long time subscriber to BHM, brand new to the forum. Don't know why, it's just the way it is. Anyway, here now.

I see lots of forums that will be of big interest to me.

My interests in no particular order... shooting- currently a USPSA competitor, hunting, reloading, gardening, dogs, photography, cooking, southern style BBQ, DIY (wood/ light metal working shop). Trying to keep at least some of our few remaining freedoms from being usurped.

Recently retired, so now I (we actually, married) now have the time to add some livestock to our homestead. We have 25 almost 2 month old Buff Orpington chickens.

Our home has a backup PV electric system, I have 4 more panels and when I add them we can be on PV for most of the year.

We live in rural Maine on 40 some odd acres. Most of which is "solar collector" for trees that we use for winter heat.

See you on the various forums.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:39 AM

Welcome from another Mainer. I just joined a few weeks ago and found it to be very informative . If you don't mind me asking where in Maine are you? We are in the western foothills.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Master Pontificator

welcome.. I too am a Mainer. I read the site alot but do not post much.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 AM
Inactive Member

Vegard, the biggest town we're near is WTVL.

When we came out here 30 years ago we kinda cussed every time someone moved out to "our" area. But looking back on it...

Recently a college student doing an internship came out selling childrens books. We weren't home, but we saw her talking to our neighbor. A day later at a birthday party for another neighbor on the hill, the following discussion occurred. "J" told me that the intern told him, "Gee, on the way in, no one on that road knows anyone else, or even if they have children. But up here you all know each other. Down there they can easily see each other, up here no one can see anyone else and you're all much closer (meaning better neighbors- MEBrian).".

The neat thing is that just by chance we have a really good local community; folks help one another, have livestock and make plans for when the zombies come up the road. So maybe it wasn't such a bad thing for others to move to "our" area after all.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:42 PM

Default You are in the more populated area

I used to live up near Mt Katahdin (3 hrs from the pavement and an hour on pavement to town), almost moved to Eustis (town motto 'get useless in Eustis') and my best friend is from The County. 99% of the people I have met in ME put the term 'southern hospitality' to shame. GREAT place. Hope it works for you. I want to move back but find it very hard to find employment.

Lobo