Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:27 PM

Default MF 35 Diesel?

I am eyeballing this tractor. The price seems fair, if not a stellar deal.

Does anyone have any experience with this model. I don't know how many hours it has on it.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/grd/1775965237.html

Old 06-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I am eyeballing this tractor. The price seems fair, if not a stellar deal.

Does anyone have any experience with this model. I don't know how many hours it has on it.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/grd/1775965237.html
That wouldn't be a steal where i live, but it would be a decent price DEPENDING on the condition. Something that old needs to be checked over by someone who knows tractors, and if it's in good shape it should make you a pretty good tractor.

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 AM

My Dad had a MF 35 with a 3 disc plow, cultivators, blade, scoop, subsoiler, disk, etc. I'm still kicking myself after all the years because I didn't buy it from him. Bought his Farmall Super A. Would have been much better off by giving him the $3000 difference (at the time) in the prices for the MF.

In our case, the blade work that tractor could do, compared to the blade on the Super A, would have made the price difference worthwhile.

If it isn't worn out and in need of a lot of work, it's a good tractor for a small homestead. Be sure to check the back tires. If they're worn out or beginning to crack check on the price of replacements and include in your budget.

Around here, if the tractor is in decent shape, that's a good price. Super A's (newly painted and dolled up) are being listed for as much as $3800. Do have to be careful to make sure it wasn't someone putting lipstick on a pig.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Inactive Member

Around here a gas version with no accessories is hitting $3400 to $3650.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM

I wound up passing on the MF 35 and buying a Deutz 4006, or should I say a Deutz $4600. It is pretty clean and only has 1100 hours on it; about 35 HP, with an air cooled diesel.

I like the air cooled part, because that's just one less thing to go wrong. It comes with a fairly new 5' bush hog. I'm going to pick it up on Friday.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Have fun thougth you might be able to use some info from this site its most of the specs for the tractor
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...tz-d-4006.html
Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 PM

I owned a 4006 for a number of years, and a couple other Deutz tractors too. In fact i still have a Deutz 3006 here...

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 PM

How did it work out?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM

A 4006 with only 1100 hrs on it, should make you a very good 38hp tractor. I put a 6' rotavator and a 6' rotary cutter on mine and it had enough power for what i did, although with a 6' rotovator it needed more hp to do everything a rotavator can do.

The 06 and 07 series Deutz were some of the best small tractors Deutz made, and were some of the best tractors of their day. They share a lot of common parts between models and were easy to fix, without any electrical puters ect... Deutz air cooled diesels are some of the best diesels ever built, and if not over loaded they never over heat and last a long long time.

The 4006 is an early 06 model and not quite as refined as the 4506 and the later 06 models. Their diesels weren't balanced as good as later models, so on long days the motor vibration was more than it should have been. Some 4006's would steer hard, and that was a pain, and all 06 series tractors had too hard of lineing on the brake shoes. Although the brakes lasted a long time, they didn't stop the tractor near as good as if the lineings had been softer. Lastly, the 4006's ARE live power, but not live "independent" power like the 45's are...

Over all, as a tractor to rotary cut or other jobs like that, it should be a good tractor for you.

DM

Old 06-12-2010, 12:16 AM

Well,

I got the new tractor home. There was room enough in the garage to park it until I figure out how to get it up to the property. My main consideration is where to park it up in Tennessee. There is an equipment shed up there but it is pretty flimsy; I'm afraid if I just leave it up there somebody will come along and "borrow" the battery, wheels, and whatever else thay have a wrench to fit. Also, no trailer yet and my truck (GMC 1500) is a little undersized to haul it around. I can borrow my BIL's diesel truck and scrounge up a trailer, but where to store it? I'm thinking about paying a neighbor to store it, but haven't really worked that out yet.

It is a really sweet tractor, very clean and low hours. When I got it home, I realized I didn't have any more idea than a goat how to unhook the bush hog. I fumbled around and found the crank that loosened up the 3 point hitch, got everything more or less unhooked (pulled the PTO shield off with the tractor; I'm thinking maybe it should have stayed with the bush hog).

I love an adventure. We close on the land next Friday.