BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Food Dehydrating

What did you preserve using a dehydrator today? Have any tips, suggestions, questions, about using dehydrators?

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 PM

Dehydrated more sliced garlic, which I later grind down to chopped garlic and powder for my spice rack. Tomorrow I will probably do the same, but with onions.

To reduce the chance of being run out of the house with the overpowering aroma I always include a couple trays of celery which seems to take the bite out of the aroma.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Not today.. but..

Yesterday I did a mixed load.. seems fine.
banana, sweet peppers, roma tomato, herbs, mushrooms.

got out a book I nearly forgot I had and found some recipes that look good.

I think I may do some blackberry and blue berry tomorrow. Maybe dipped in a honey/sugar syrup.

also more herbs I think.

Just looking for anything I can find in the garden that is ready.

Fun!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Canerd..

I like that celery idea. I have to try that. I have found if you only do a little onion and have other things--like peppers going--it seems not to smell so much. I have a little cabin in the yard which we could also do smelly things in there if needed.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:21 AM

I have done onions in the house with no big problem but mostly tried to keep the dehydrator out on the deck. This year it is out in the summer kitchen so no problems. I have some fever few in there right now drying. We had rain so it is far too humid to dry any thing outside. I do most of the herbs in the dehydrator. I also have some boxes that hubby made that have rat wire in the bottoms that I fill with herbs on sunny dry days and put out on the picnic table.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 AM

Has anyone had a problem drying oregano and basil together?
I've heard not to do that, but have not tried it yet.
I need to do a few trays of basil, and a few trays of oregano.
Also need to do a few trays of rosemary.
Can you do several trays of different things in the excalibur at once without causing flavor weirdness?? Thanks, Shannon
Old 06-13-2010, 10:50 AM

I did some zucchini and crook-neck squash. I don't have enough to can right now, so I am dehydrating what we aren't eating. I don't want anything to go to waste!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartershan View Post
Has anyone had a problem drying oregano and basil together?
I've heard not to do that, but have not tried it yet.
I need to do a few trays of basil, and a few trays of oregano.
Also need to do a few trays of rosemary.
Can you do several trays of different things in the excalibur at once without causing flavor weirdness?? Thanks, Shannon
Shannon--I've been told you can mix batches in a Excalibur because of the heat being in back--or horizontal.. someone just told me that, I think in a post yesterday??

Anyhow I've done quite a few things in my bottom fan dehydrators too and didn't experience a problem unless I was doing things that were very aromatic like herbs, really hot peppers, onions or garlic. I've often mixed fruits in batches for instance.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbemt456 View Post
I have done onions in the house with no big problem but mostly tried to keep the dehydrator out on the deck. This year it is out in the summer kitchen so no problems. I have some fever few in there right now drying. We had rain so it is far too humid to dry any thing outside. I do most of the herbs in the dehydrator. I also have some boxes that hubby made that have rat wire in the bottoms that I fill with herbs on sunny dry days and put out on the picnic table.

Have a great day!

stella
I used to do that too.. put it out on our deck in our old house. But now that we have Mojo--even if he has graduated from 'garden puppy' to 'good dawg' I'm not putting anything out on the deck that has a nice smell (to him) cuz I don't want him to fall from his honored position.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:45 AM
Master Pontificator

Oh, good a dehydrating post.

I dehydrated several pounds of potatoes. It is as easy as jumping off a curb. Two things I've found though. I need lots more quart and half gallon Mason jars if I'm going to continue, and I need more trays for my dehydrator.

How many trays high can I go on a Nesco dehydrator. Anybody know?

Oh, and I dehydrated strawberries last week. WoW, are they great! I ate my first pint the first week so I have to watch and not dive in, but work on fresh ones while they last.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Master Pontificator

I start my onions and garlic on the porch. It definitely helps keep down the strong smell.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:48 AM
Master Pontificator

I give up on doing basil in the dehydrator. I'm going to hanging them in a closet inside a paper bag with small holes in it. The batch I did took three days before they dried out. I don't like having to take that long for leaves.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 AM

NotSoFast, I dont know what the matter could be with basil taking long to dry, I dont usually have that problem. But maybe sometimes when the leaves get bunched together on the trays it takes a little longer. I have some drying boxes, about 4 or 5 inches deep with rat wire in the bottom, an sometimes use those to get things started drying. If I have several different herbs that need to be dried at one time, I fill the boxes and put them in the sun an when the dehydrator is empty I just use it to finish drying them completely for storage. This does end up using less electricity too with the same end result.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Shrimp Shells...

This is like dehydrating garbage, but not really. I usually save all our shrimp shells in the freezer so I can make stock with them. Then I end up saving some shrimp stock in the freezer. Well this is my side by side freezer--not the chest one. I want to free up space and it came to me--why not dry the shells and then have much less to store between making stocks or sauces with this stuff?

I did a little research and found out there are companies that actually sell shrimp shell powder for the food industry.

I know it packs a wallup of flavor for some of our favorite creole type dishes -- so decided I'll do this as an experiment. Found out I had 6 quart size bags of shrimp shells in the freezer-- takes up needed popsicle room.

So I'm thinking this will probably be less than one bag when its dry and I 'll still keep it in the freezer. Its valuable stuff here, Hubby and Sons know better than to throw out my stock making stuff.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:37 AM

I dried peppermint, lemon balm and lemon flowers. However, on some window screens in the attic. the dryer is still in the box. I could not bring myself to use it for herbs if I have a whole hot attic. I also dried some oregano, but it does not have the smell it is supposed to have. I am wondering if it could have crossed over with the lemon balm or something.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:07 AM

Hi I'm new here and seen the post on dehydrating potatoes. I have had alot of trouble with potatoes would someone give me details on dehydrating potatoes. I slice and blanch before starting is there more? Mine are always brown and ugly looking. Thanks,
Old 06-14-2010, 11:08 AM

My excalliber is supposed to deliver today - can't wait to try it out. Have some Garlic drying on the back deck and think that the garlic might be the first thing I try - we use a lot of powdered Garlic. Also, new potatoes are almost ready to dig and DH wants to dehydrate a lot of those - he does most of the cooking and he loves the idea of using sliced dehydrated potatoes in lots of things. Besides we just don't have a really good place to store all of our potatoes in our hot humid climate.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Potatoes in hot climate...

Tex.. I know! I can't keep potatoes or onions worth a darn here. Even down in my root cellar they sprout very quickly.

I keep things in the fridge here that I never had to up north. Drying does seem a good plan! Congrats on the new toy.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Master Pontificator

Default I would start this as a new post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanniegoat View Post
Hi I'm new here and seen the post on dehydrating potatoes. I have had alot of trouble with potatoes would someone give me details on dehydrating potatoes. I slice and blanch before starting is there more? Mine are always brown and ugly looking. Thanks,
Nannie Goat--hopefully someone will jump in with that info. Otherwise-- start it as a new post-- cuz I'm sure the info is out there.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:59 AM

Everything I have read about potatoes says blanch for 8 minutes and only do small amounts at a time (slicing them up) so as not to give them time to turn dark before drying. Also read of some using lemon juice or acetic acid on them before drying.

The Excalibur site has some very informative videos

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/media.php