BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Stella...

Guess I should have been more thorough on that one.

Onions yup--those are like tomatoes and garlic and peppers.. MUST have flavor.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
My husband is a meat and potatoes guy. We usually end up buying instant or box mix potatoes because just the two of us can't use up a bag of potatoes before they spoil. My excalibur finally arrived yesterday and he really wants to try doing potatoes.

I was wondering if you could cut like french fries, dehydrate, rehydrate and then fry and also wondering about mashed potatoes.

Found this link and am going to try myself.

Yes - you can dehydrate and then fry potatoes and based on some trial and error by someone posting on the link - boil potatoes, mash - do not season - spread thin on dehydrator tray. Freeze - after they are frozen then dehydrate and supposedly they come out quite nice - going to try both methods

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/...e;topic=9858.0
Please keep posting your progess I'm very interested in potatoes. I don't think a person can have to many potatoes.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Nannie - going to dehydrate french fries tonight and tomorrow he is going to rehydrate and fry to see how they are - just a small batch. Will definately let you know how it goes - wonder if I should salt the potatoes before I dehydrate them? Supposedly you just cut up into french fries, blanch, cool then dip in mild lemon solution. To rehydrate - soak in warm water - pat dry, season and fry - I have a few "arsh tatties" from the store that are fixing to sprout so it's either a kitchen experiment or give to the fowl.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeberry Mary View Post
You can dehydrate those. You don't have to thaw or blanch, just put them in your dehydrate and check them periodically to see how they are going. I love things that free up freezer space.
Thanks pokeberry! I was wondering if you had to blanch or cook first. This will be GREAT! I desperately need to free up freezer space, and if TSHTF, I won't want to be dependent on the freezers at all.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Be an ant....not a grasshopper!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Online Cool Stuff...

I still haven't picked out a book to buy on dehydrating--I want several but its hard to choose.

I've been surfing the net and poking into this and that to find ideas on how to do a little more than basics. I'm especially interested in finding ways to get much more flavor into foods without a lot of sodium or fat. Spices and sauces are where I'm at.. trying to dehydrate my own versions of things like Mrs. Dash, or ethnic sauces.

In all my travels I've come across some neat things. The folks who do backpacking it seems, some of them have taken dehydrator foods to a gourmet level--so those are worth looking into. I may pick up a book from one of those folks--they're usually not too pricey, so maybe I could get two books that way.

Yesterday I watched the guy at survival podcast dehydrate some 'trombone zuchini' now I want seeds--those look really cool. He used an excalibur and it was fun to watch that. It sure looks like a good big tray those have. In the back of my mind there's this little voice telling me I might want to upgrade my dryer in the future.. we'll see.

I think I'm interested in exploring the limits of this thing a little past the jar of dry peppers, or tomatoes.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Tomatoes!

I've got 8 racks loaded with tomatoes.. nice juicy ripe ones, yum!!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Might need another dryer

boy, I'm thinking 8 trays of this machine didn't put a dent in the tomatoes I need to do, and I have peaches and peppers... hmmm.. maybe I need that excalibur AND my craigslist dryer.. well gotta wait and see how Hubby's job situation goes. I guess I'm not going to get out canning tomatoes. This is just a trial run and already I'm seeing that little problem.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Master Pontificator

Today, 6/17/10, I just put 2 pounds of cherries, pitted and halved in the dehydrator. It took all 7 trays. Now all I need to do is clean up the juice that splattered all over from the pitting process.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Master Pontificator

Isn't it great to have more than one option?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Nannie - going to dehydrate french fries tonight and tomorrow he is going to rehydrate and fry to see how they are - just a small batch. Will definately let you know how it goes - wonder if I should salt the potatoes before I dehydrate them? Supposedly you just cut up into french fries, blanch, cool then dip in mild lemon solution. To rehydrate - soak in warm water - pat dry, season and fry - I have a few "arsh tatties" from the store that are fixing to sprout so it's either a kitchen experiment or give to the fowl.
did you do that yet? I'm curious about it. We generally keep some fries in the freezer--would be glad to free that space up. Trying to keep room open in there for meats on sale.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
did you do that yet? I'm curious about it. We generally keep some fries in the freezer--would be glad to free that space up. Trying to keep room open in there for meats on sale.
Not bad, not bad at all - tried hydrating in the rice cooker - wrong so put a few in a bowl and poured boiling water on them. Let it sit about 10 minutes and then drained, salted and fried. Pretty good stuff - DH says I should have let them sit in the water and hydrate longer but I have eaten worse at MD's many times.

Tomorrow it is a test run on mashed tatties.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 PM

Talking

Quote:
Not bad, not bad at all - tried hydrating in the rice cooker - wrong so put a few in a bowl and poured boiling water on them. Let it sit about 10 minutes and then drained, salted and fried. Pretty good stuff - DH says I should have let them sit in the water and hydrate longer but I have eaten worse at MD's many times.

Keep us posted!!!!!!!!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Be an ant....not a grasshopper!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:37 AM

What a great thread. Last winter I bought this Cabelas dehydrator, http://tinyurl.com/273ru87 I haven't yet been able to try it. But when I retire this fall I'll jump in with both feet.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:

Were the fries cooked first? I'm so curious--as is Hubby.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinotBob View Post
What a great thread. Last winter I bought this Cabelas dehydrator, http://tinyurl.com/273ru87 I haven't yet been able to try it. But when I retire this fall I'll jump in with both feet.
Congats on retiring! Looks like you have a pretty cool toy waiting for ya!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Magic Aire II--tomato result

I did 8 trays of tomatoes yesterday and let them go while I was sleeping..

Results--

one-- I don't know how much power this thing draws but had AC & stove & washer/drier going and the power went out. So... that's maybe a clue.
Although I think its probably the AC. Hubby is going to swap out a wire, I guess has to do with it being so hot here..

two--I found running it all night is fine--nothing got 'too done'

three-- there was about 12.5 % that didn't get done. NOW that I was not happy about. I need to reload and I'm still running a tray!!

I found the undone stuff scattered throughout the trays--which says to me its 'uneven' which I had suspected earlier.

bummed.

Hubby said run it with half the trays--I'm saying-- if I do that I will never get anything done.

This is my 'trial run' time. I need the thing to work way better before my garden starts to kick in. Right now its just trickling.

So anyhow I may be joining the ranks of excalibur owers soon--still a little hesitant with the job situation--but I should know soon I think if its OK to buy that instead. This one might be a better 'back up' than primary dehydrator.

Nevertheless--I'm going to keep using it for now. Whadda ya gonna do?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Were the fries cooked first? I'm so curious--as is Hubby.

RAW - cut them up; blanched till they were kind of clear looking-not long - maybe 2or 3 minutes. Put a little powdered vitamin c (ascorbic acid powder) that I use in whole wheat bread in ice water and dumped them in the cold water till cool and then dehydrated- considering the humidity it was about 12 hours. the ascorbic acid is like using a little lemon juice - keeps them from turning brown/gray/black like raw potatoes will do.

I did cut the potatoes into fairly small fries and I left the peal on them.

Re-hydrated, seasoned and fried.

Mary, have you watched the videos on the Excalibur site - very informative. They used a slicer to slice almost everything which makes sense so that everything is the same thickness. We do have one and if I do larger batches of things I will use the slicer. But for the small test batch of about 3 potatoes I just cut them carefully and the same size.

Also last night I sliced up one tomato when I got home, very thin and turned the Excalibur on - let it run till I got up (must have run about 10 hours) and I did slice the tomato very thin. They were ready when I checked them this morning and of course I had to eat a slice - WOW - the flavor

DH does all the cooking and as I have said before he is a meat and tater man and he cooks a lot of augratin potatoes and stuff like that. He said he wanted to slice a bunch of them in rounds for making a'gratin (how is that spelled). Just add milk, butter & cheese and bake or even microwave.

From what I have read you should not try to dehydrate things with oil on them as the oil can go rancid.

I really enjoy canning but it is a time consuming operation and makes the house so hot but this dehydrating stuff is SOOOOOOO VERY EASY. We stuck the dehydrator/mudroom/utility room that is off the kitchen so what little heat stays in that non-air conditioned room. This is so much easier than canning - stick it in and walk away. And for folks that are space challenged for storage dehydrated would take up way less space than canning.

Can you tell that I think I am hooked on this preservation process.

Last edited by TEX; 06-18-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Congats on retiring! Looks like you have a pretty cool toy waiting for ya!
The reason it's waiting for me is that I live in Taiwan now and am retiring to our 47 acres in North Dakota.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Default WoW

Quote:
The reason it's waiting for me is that I live in Taiwan now and am retiring to our 47 acres in North Dakota.
Talk about a climate change.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Quote:
Talk about a climate change.
Uff da! North Dakota?

I still have my Fargo Coat... Down filled below the knees with a tunnel hood. It looks pretty funny here in SC where they measure winter tips in degrees above zero.

So you're actually from Minot then?