BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Default The 90-9-1 rule

As I was reading the newspaper this morning, I came across an article about folks who post in Forums and comment in blogs. It contained an interesting statistic, one that, it said, has been verified multiple times. It's called the 90-9-1 rule.

Evidently, for any active Forum or blog or other place where posting messages or comments is permitted, about 90% of the visitors are lurkers, 9% post or comment occasionally, and just 1% post actively or regularly.

I've always suspected as much, since the Forum generates far more "page views" each month than would be expected based only on the number of posts.

So...if you are one of the 9%, how about posting more often. Far too many folks think they have nothing to contribute, or are afraid to ask a question, or think they'll look foolish.

In my experience, EVERYONE has knowledge or outlooks that others want to hear. That little trick you have for doing something may seem insignificant to you, but might well be a major time-saver for others.

And if you are one of the 90%, isn't it time you registered so you, too, can start sharing what you know, or think about a subject? Just...please be sure to read the red text on the registration page so there will not be any problem with yours.

And to the 1% -- THANK YOU!!

Oliver
Old 06-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
As I was reading the newspaper this morning, I came across an article about folks who post in Forums and comment in blogs. It contained an interesting statistic, one that, it said, has been verified multiple times. It's called the 90-9-1 rule.

Evidently, for any active Forum or blog or other place where posting messages or comments is permitted, about 90% of the visitors are lurkers, 9% post or comment occasionally, and just 1% post actively or regularly.

I've always suspected as much, since the Forum generates far more "page views" each month than would be expected based only on the number of posts.

So...if you are one of the 9%, how about posting more often. Far too many folks think they have nothing to contribute, or are afraid to ask a question, or think they'll look foolish.

In my experience, EVERYONE has knowledge or outlooks that others want to hear. That little trick you have for doing something may seem insignificant to you, but might well be a major time-saver for others.

And if you are one of the 90%, isn't it time you registered so you, too, can start sharing what you know, or think about a subject? Just...please be sure to read the red text on the registration page so there will not be any problem with yours.

Oliver
This matches my observation all the back to the days of my dial in BBS. ;o)

Actually, if it weren't for the 10% of the world I don't think anything would get done, no matter what the venue.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:18 PM

I think that about 4% make things happen, 2% are evil and try to prevent or troll and about 10% will help if embarrassed into independent thought and the balance are carried on the emotion of the moment (see the neurolinguistic language on all the 'news'). The use of the pejorative 'teabagger' ought to involve a LARGE tax donation to the FCC, more than a years wages of the perp.

Since I wander among the groups, depending on the subject, it is relatively easy to note the normal divisions.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Master Pontificator

I am one of the 9%. I post some, but only when I feel I have something to add to the post or when I disagree strongly. And I will continue to be that way since that is part of my makeup.

Chuck
Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM

you are welcome
Old 06-20-2010, 09:01 PM

Interesting! I'm a 9%er for sure, on this and the few other forums I belong to, usually don't have much to contribute. But I sure do appreciate the 1%ers, I've learned a bunch from y'all!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:05 PM

I think I fall into the 9% also. I get a lot of useful info and enjoy learning about others and what they are doing but, I don't feel like I have much to add most of the time. When I do have something to add though, I do so. Thanks to the 1%.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 PM

OK, I'm one of the 90%...frequently visit and read, but haven't even thought about trying to post as either I don't think I have enough knowledge to share, or someone else (or 2 or 3) have it already covered.
So I'll get better about adding my $0.02. I do enjoy reading the posts, and feel I have learned heaps from the other 9-1%.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Master Pontificator

Past lurker here, trying to participate more.....but I think I have talked to myself so much in the past 50 years, I might not have anything intelligent left to say.....
Old 06-25-2010, 12:11 PM

So Iím in the 9%.

When I think about posting something new I find what Iím looking with search or on the net somewhere. I think Iím also one of the few % that searches before they askÖ
Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 PM

I"m definately in the 90% area. When a topic comes up that I have some expeience with...or interest in... I temporarilly zoom into the 9% zone. But I'm a FIRM believer that one learns better with their mouth shut than with it open.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbob View Post
So Iím in the 9%.

When I think about posting something new I find what Iím looking with search or on the net somewhere. I think Iím also one of the few % that searches before they askÖ
farmerbob,

If that's the case, once you find the answer, perhaps you could then post both your original question and the answer in the appropriate board. Maybe include the link or links to where you found the answer.

Odds are other members will find the answer helpful, if not immediately, then one day when they search the Forum for the subject.

Hmmm...if you ask enough questions and find all the answers and post them all in the Forum, you may well move into the 1% group!

Oliver
Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 PM

Actually I have been a one percenter most of my life, one dosn't get the lemming syndrome that way.(chest swelling from pride) Never could follow the rules but Im broke a few in my day.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Well, Oliver, I've always found in group settings -- like churches or civic groups, 100% join, 10% volunteer to do the work and 5% do the work. Not quite your stats, but close enough for government work. I'd rather be a 1%er than a lurker!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Be careful what you ask for. Buck was one of the 1% posters, lol.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamylf View Post
Well, Oliver, I've always found in group settings -- like churches or civic groups, 100% join, 10% volunteer to do the work and 5% do the work. Not quite your stats, but close enough for government work. I'd rather be a 1%er than a lurker!
Agree with your figures Aamylf! Just finished helping with a week of Vacation Bible School. Did KP in the kitchen as we fed them supper each night. Yep, percentages are just about right.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 PM

Okay countrymike...can't make a statement like that and have me let it pass. Who was Buck and what happened to him?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamylf View Post
Okay countrymike...can't make a statement like that and have me let it pass. Who was Buck and what happened to him?
Buck was a cantankerous old fart who posted a LOT here some time back. Some of his opinions I agreed with.....most I didn't. He developed a cadre of Buck haters who followed him around complaining about darned near everything until he finally quit. They won....he lost....sort of. If he's now happier than he was....then he won. Many of the same folks who followed him around are still here spewing their "I'm better than you" BS. I know this because I was once here under a different login......and before anyone asks...no it wasn't "Buck".
Old 07-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud_Poppa View Post
Buck was a cantankerous old fart who posted a LOT here some time back. Some of his opinions I agreed with.....most I didn't. He developed a cadre of Buck haters who followed him around complaining about darned near everything until he finally quit. They won....he lost....sort of. If he's now happier than he was....then he won. Many of the same folks who followed him around are still here spewing their "I'm better than you" BS. I know this because I was once here under a different login......and before anyone asks...no it wasn't "Buck".
Wow, you have a future in propaganda, lol. Buck didn't leave, he was kicked out. Not once, but twice, the second time he was calling himself Nightshade. He didn't follow any of the forum rules and was suspended from posting at least once by our good Webmaster Oliver. He posted to inflame and annoy people and basically hung out in the political section and rarely contributed a single helpful thing anywhere else. It is a wonder the bottom three boards are still here no thanks to him.

But hey, your first sentence is true.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:32 PM

Yup, Buck and Crafty, one was about as bright as the other... lol

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.