BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Glad I missed Buck and Crafty, then. I'm not heavily into confrontation and angst. Sometimes people get a bit, shall we say, snippy and even that isn't a good place for me. I come here to escape the "and that's when I bit my tongue in half" syndrome of the work place!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mike View Post
Wow, you have a future in propaganda, lol. Buck didn't leave, he was kicked out. Not once, but twice, the second time he was calling himself Nightshade. He didn't follow any of the forum rules and was suspended from posting at least once by our good Webmaster Oliver. He posted to inflame and annoy people and basically hung out in the political section and rarely contributed a single helpful thing anywhere else. It is a wonder the bottom three boards are still here no thanks to him.

But hey, your first sentence is true.
I stand corrected. I wasn't aware that he'd been booted.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud_Poppa View Post
I hope I didn't sound too harsh. If I did I apologize for that. He just left a really bad taste in most peoples mouths.

As for the 90-9-1 I am going to attempt to post more. Hopefully I wont suffer the same fate, haha.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mike View Post
I hope I didn't sound too harsh. If I did I apologize for that. He just left a really bad taste in most peoples mouths.

As for the 90-9-1 I am going to attempt to post more. Hopefully I wont suffer the same fate, haha.
No....absolutely NOT a problem. I had several nice personal messages with him concerning Pipe Smoking......you'll recall he was a big pipe smoker. My Father is also a lifelong pipe smoker....in fact, I believe they smoked the same brand tobacco. I try to stay away from the arguments of Politics...etc....but sometimes I can't help myself. So....I had no grief with him....but I'm more interested in learning about homesteading stuff (a subject I'm very weak on) than in arguments. In my experience, most folks have their mind pretty well made up and aren't willing to change....and I suppose I'm as guilty of that as anyone else.

I look forward to reading your future posts!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Master Pontificator

Hmmm, been in the 1% category pretty much all my life. Loner in high school, became a Marine, then a cop, and then found a sub-culture even in the tiny field of law enforcement when I started working maximum security penitentiaries. And then of course, there's my time here.

I thought maybe I was being too gregarious or garrulous. Now it appears, maybe not.

Buck was one of the people that pushed me away from The Simple Living Network. Around here I didn't run into him much because I usually spend my time in the Homesteading board, with occasional forays into Hunting, Weapons, or Fauna. Although I haven't been back to Hunting since one of their regulars actually questioned my integrity. According to her I couldn't possibly be a Marine trained sniper and be asking newbie questions about squirrel hunting. LOL, what can I say? I didn't grow up like these PA kids with family and relatives to teach me to hunt. Dad was a refugee from Jersey City whose idea of hunting was to shoot rats at the landfill.

I originally interpreted the 90-9-1 rule differently when I first saw the post. My take was that 90% of the people are pleasant, cooperative, and helpful. 9% of members are instigators who stir the pot and seem to delight in causing unrest. They are constantly testing the boundaries of what they can get away with. Once a mod or admin scolds them they'll be good, for a while. And then there are the 1% who are simply incapable of following the rules or being civil to others. What I find interesting about this is that it appears to be a direct reverse ratio to the amount of work and trouble they cause for the mods and admin. That 10% causes 90% of their work!

It's a pity that 10% can so profoundly impact any board as to force two mods out of the game. Years ago I was a mod for AOL. Admin and mods are performing necessary but completely thankless tasks. All too seldom all they get to hear is the griping and complaining. So for this one time I'd like to extend my heartfelt appreciation.

Thank you, to both the admin and the mods, for doing all you do to make this one of my favorite sites on the internet.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherneckPA View Post
Hmmm, been in the 1% category pretty much all my life. Loner in high school, became a Marine, then a cop, and then found a sub-culture even in the tiny field of law enforcement when I started working maximum security penitentiaries. And then of course, there's my time here.

I thought maybe I was being too gregarious or garrulous. Now it appears, maybe not.

Buck was one of the people that pushed me away from The Simple Living Network. Around here I didn't run into him much because I usually spend my time in the Homesteading board, with occasional forays into Hunting, Weapons, or Fauna. Although I haven't been back to Hunting since one of their regulars actually questioned my integrity. According to her I couldn't possibly be a Marine trained sniper and be asking newbie questions about squirrel hunting. LOL, what can I say? I didn't grow up like these PA kids with family and relatives to teach me to hunt. Dad was a refugee from Jersey City whose idea of hunting was to shoot rats at the landfill.

I originally interpreted the 90-9-1 rule differently when I first saw the post. My take was that 90% of the people are pleasant, cooperative, and helpful. 9% of members are instigators who stir the pot and seem to delight in causing unrest. They are constantly testing the boundaries of what they can get away with. Once a mod or admin scolds them they'll be good, for a while. And then there are the 1% who are simply incapable of following the rules or being civil to others. What I find interesting about this is that it appears to be a direct reverse ratio to the amount of work and trouble they cause for the mods and admin. That 10% causes 90% of their work!

It's a pity that 10% can so profoundly impact any board as to force two mods out of the game.
Years ago I was a mod for AOL. Admin and mods are performing necessary but completely thankless tasks. All too seldom all they get to hear is the griping and complaining. So for this one time I'd like to extend my heartfelt appreciation.

Thank you, to both the admin and the mods, for doing all you do to make this one of my favorite sites on the internet.
Totally agree with both bold statements.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 PM

Yep. This is about the most decent set of forums I've been on -- generally helpful and gracious and not demeaning of newbies! I've asked some astoundingly naive ("stupid") questions and not one person has chastised me. Ya know, if you're new, you're new! So I agree -- thank you to the moderators who tread with a wonderfully light hand and step in only when absolutely necessary.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Buck was a cantankerous old fart who posted a LOT here some time back. Some of his opinions I agreed with.....most I didn't. He developed a cadre of Buck haters who followed him around complaining about darned near everything until he finally quit. They won....he lost....sort of. If he's now happier than he was....then he won. Many of the same folks who followed him around are still here spewing their "I'm better than you" BS. I know this because I was once here under a different login......and before anyone asks...no it wasn't "Buck".
Quote:
Quote:
No....absolutely NOT a problem. I had several nice personal messages with him concerning Pipe Smoking......you'll recall he was a big pipe smoker. My Father is also a lifelong pipe smoker....in fact, I believe they smoked the same brand tobacco. I try to stay away from the arguments of Politics...etc....but sometimes I can't help myself. So....I had no grief with him....but I'm more interested in learning about homesteading stuff (a subject I'm very weak on) than in arguments. In my experience, most folks have their mind pretty well made up and aren't willing to change....and I suppose I'm as guilty of that as anyone else.

I look forward to reading your future posts!
Buck was banned in 2009 and your profile says you joined 5/2010.Have you been a member here before.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinok View Post
Buck was banned in 2009 and your profile says you joined 5/2010.Have you been a member here before.
Yes....as I stated in the first statement you quoted. I had no problems on this forum....but I did develope a dislike for some people on "another" forum. Since I had the same login on both forums I changed my login to avoid having them follow me around. I'm no longer a member on the "other" forum.....by my own choice.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:38 PM

I too am a 1%er as I read a lot but usually don't have anything to add.
When I can, I'll jump in.
Brian
Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Lately, I think I am more of 0.05%, read a lot but hardly post
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelleeRN View Post
Lately, I think I am more of 0.05%, read a lot but hardly post
I go through cycles of that myself.

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership
Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Although I haven't been back to Hunting since one of their regulars actually questioned my integrity. According to her I couldn't possibly be a Marine trained sniper and be asking newbie questions about squirrel hunting. LOL, what can I say? I didn't grow up like these PA kids with family and relatives to teach me to hunt. Dad was a refugee from Jersey City whose idea of hunting was to shoot rats at the landfill.[/b]
Quote:
My take was that 90% of the people are pleasant, cooperative, and helpful. 9% of members are instigators who stir the pot and seem to delight in causing unrest. They are constantly testing the boundaries of what they can get away with. Once a mod or admin scolds them they'll be good, for a while. And then there are the 1% who are simply incapable of following the rules or being civil to others. What I find interesting about this is that it appears to be a direct reverse ratio to the amount of work and trouble they cause for the mods and admin. That 10% causes 90% of their work![/b]
Absolutely agree with you, Leatherneck.

I, too, used to be a regular poster in the weapons/firearms forums here, just trying to give some helpful advice to newbies/novices from my many years of military and civilian experience. A few resident "Internet Rambo's" decided I had all the wrong ideas, and started discounting any opinion or experiences I had as ludicrous or stupid, and even resorted to personal attacks, so after promptly telling them where to get off, I became a lurker myself. Just not worth the effort to tell off these idiots on a daily basis.

The people that get the shortest end of the stick are those that try to come here for information, only to find petty bickering amongst long-term members that should work together, or disagree in a civil manner. I find it quite interesting, that one of the ringleaders I spoke of previously, replied to this thread.....how absolutely fitting, and amusingly hypocritical.

Happy Lurking, Leatherneck.

DocSoos
Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Hi all, I used to post a little here a few years ago back when I was dreaming of the move. I'm more of a lurker myself but will pitch in when I do know what I'm talking about (or think I do anyway!).

The one member I remember from then that turned my interest from BHM site to others was Silverado. Now there was a genuine 1%er.

I'm back and will pitch in more often. And, of course, be asking all kinds of stupid questions.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

I guess that I'm a "compulsive poster" that will chime in on a subject that catches my eye. Other than that, I do a lot of reading.

I'm envious of many being they are doing things that I only dream of and wish to accomplish before I'm too old to do it. I have my niche and I try to help anyone that needs direction. That's what this place is all about, regardless of what ones speciality may be.

I thank everyone who shares their knowledge and experience with the masses. It doesn't matter how trivial one may think their input or thoughts might be. There's always someone out there in the world wanting to know about the same things themselves. Nothing ventured, Nothing gained, as I see it.

~Don
*Robert Frost*
Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM

Well . . . I am brand new. I have a lot to learn and will post when I think I have something to contribute, but I will be looking around a lot. I certainly don't want to be a lurker because "lurking" does make me wonder who's looking and why. I am very excited to have found this forum. My husand is on a couple self-sufficiency forums and he has inspired me to learn much more. I'm excited I've found something I think he would enjoy.

All in all, I do want to contribute but I will be doing lots of learning from the more experienced. There is a funny saying that stuck in my mind a long time ago: "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." lol Suffice it to say I will think twice or thrice before solidifying a negative reputation.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Concerned, welcome to the forums! I'm sort of with 12VMan -- I post where I'm interested and lurk in the rest. While we own weapons, for instance, and shoot often, we like what we like and are not into the debating of it, so I don't much play on the weapons threads.

Again, welcome and have fun while learning.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:26 PM

One reason some of us post so seldom is that when we do many times we get no replies! This is very frustrating if I'm trying to learn something or get help for something. Seems like I'm not important enough to respond to most of the time. This isn't the only forum where that happens though. On my FB page I have never had a comment when I post something as status on my wall. Very discouraging believe me.

Last edited by MYellowRose; 11-19-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 AM

Default hello...

I also am very new to this forum thingy and am reading a lot more than posting. I do have to say though any post I have made is responded to. and the only question I had was answered promptly and in simple details that even I could understand. I plan to reply on any post that I know about. although most of the time it will be things that I know don't work cause I make a lot of mistakes trying to figure out what does work. and I still don't know a lot more than I do know.
I WILL BE ONE TO SAY THANK YOU FOR KEEPING THE LANGUAGE CLEAN AND THE BACK BIGHTING TO A MINIMUM I'M SURE IT IS A MOSTLY THANKLESS JOB AND I HATE THAT FOR YOU BUT YOU DO HAVE MY THANKS
Old 01-22-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoFast View Post
I am one of the 9%. I post some, but only when I feel I have something to add to the post or when I disagree strongly. And I will continue to be that way since that is part of my makeup.

Chuck
Chuck - guys don't wear makeup.