Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Default Homemade deep well emergency pump

Hmm I was worried about our water supply in TEOTWAWKI and so I did some googling and found this....

It's not very productive, producing only 20 gallons per hour of manual labor, but, in a disaster it would be better to have than nothing! Costs less than $100......

The first part is about "drilling" your own shallow well, the second part is an inexpensive DIY deep weel pump.....

http://www.fdungan.com/well.htm

Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Inactive Member

Driven points have been around for a very long time, and they work if the ground below is suitable.

It wouldn't have worked for us since we hit "ledge" 40' down. Ledge is solid rock. There was no water bearing aquifer down to the ledge. A few miles down the road from us a driven point would work great and it'd probably produce more than 20 gallons an hour. All depends on what's below.

I'd get someone to dowse for water before driving the point. I wasn't always a believer, but I am now.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Everyone in the river bottoms has sand point wells.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:42 AM

Well, I wasn't talking about the driven well, I was talking about the second part of the article, about the inertia pump for deep wells.....
Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Inactive Member

Sorry about that Yotetrapper.

I guess it would work in a pinch, but 15 minutes for 5 gallons !!?? It sounds super inefficient. It'd be a good workout for sure. I wonder if it could be hooked up to a windmill? Then who cares about the efficiency?

They are pricey, but they're quality... check out the Bison pumps. They go into your existing pipe casing even with an electric pump in place.
http://www.bisonpumps.com/index.htm
Old 07-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Inactive Member

I forgot... there is also something called a "well bucket" for a drilled well too. The one I bought from Cumberland General Store many years ago consists of a casing of galvanized metal of an OD smaller than the well casing ID, so that it goes into the casing. The top has a bail for a rope, and the bottom has a foot valve. It can be as long as you want to handle if you make it at home. It goes into the well, gets dropped to the water level where the footvalve opens and the bucket sinks. When it's lifted the footvalve closes keeping the water in the tube. When it's withdrawn from the well, the extended shaft of the footvalve is pushed when the end of the well bucket is inside a water container and the well bucket empties itself. Couldn't be simpler and it can be made of off the shelf parts from any good plumbing supply.

Depending on the capacity of the well bucket and the windlass arrangement I bet you could easily exceed the 5 gallons in 15 minutes capacity of the inertia pump.

Dang, my chip reader isn't working right now. I have to reboot the computer. I have pics that'll make the text plain. I'll have to edit this with the pics. I'll be back.

The well bucket is 4"OD and 41" long from the bail I'm holding to the bottom.

This pic is a view of the foot valve. It's nothing major. Just a rig on the bottom to keep it centered and in place. I haven't taken it apart, but I bet there's nothing more than a piece of rubber as the valve seat.

This is a pic of the top. The valve extension on this bucket extends all the way to the top and is triggered with a finger by pulling up. It could also extend in the other direction, below the base and be triggered by putting the bucket into an other bucket or container.

The foot valve could be something as simple as a red rubber ball held in a cage, something like a synthetic replacement heart valve. This isn't rocket science, there are so many ways to build this it's unbelieveable. I think something could be put together with minimal shop time for just a few bucks and some hardware out of Home Depot.

Last edited by MEBrian; 07-02-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Yep they are also called torpedo buckets and sold at lehmans .
Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Location: Cleveland Ohio,, *For now :) Till I can build my new Home.

The only problem with the dipper is it is 2 1/2 gallons. so you are pulling 20# up the length of the well. I bought one of those about 23 years ago when I had a well put in. Loved it for a while. then I built a displacement pump that I found the plans for.

This is the finished pump. Except for one or two small pieces the whole thing is pvc and the OD is only about 1 3/4". Nice for only about $60 in parts and it will fit into smaller diameter wells.