Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Homemade Toilet paper

Doesn't sound too appetizing at first, but it's really no different from cloth diapers, so good on ya! Great idea. If we wouldn't live out in the bush I'd give it a try too, I think! But we already have to hand wash all our laundry...so we'll stick to the recycled toilet paper.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:42 PM

Do you segregate urine-only and flannels used for more solid waste?
I am heartily sick of buying tp and the $ is going up, too, so I'm interested in more conversation on this topic.

What kind of buckets or pails do you use? Thanks in advance for more information.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I will keep this in mind , in case of a future need.

I have one concern Viruses and bacteria. Is your borax and laundry soap able to kill these? Your normal washer surely doesn't introduce water that is hot enought to kill them out right, so does the cheical set up do that for you? I would hate to get E.Coli just to save a buck.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:27 AM

I use corn cobs. Two brown ones and one white one. You use the brown one first , then you use the white one to see if you need the next brown one.
Flatwater
Old 12-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Sorry, this is a bit to far for me. ??? Geez TP is pretty cheap. LOL
Old 12-25-2007, 06:24 PM
nancy1340

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjspirko
Sorry, this is a bit to far for me. * ??? *Geez TP is pretty cheap. *LOL
LOL

What would you use after TSHTF when TP is no longer available?

Not something I plan on running out and doing but it's a good thing to keep in mind.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesteaderbelle

There is no more of a risk of getting ecoli from a wipe than from using a washcloth that some one has used before, or a bathtowel that someone has used before.
If a member of your family has ecoli then the risk of you getting it could come from many sources. If they would get the smallest speck of feces on something and then you were to injest it, by mouth, then you may get ecoli. You are not going to get it by using a wipe on your bottom, even if the wipe was not clean. Don't use the wipe on your mouth, that might be a risk.
Many people are very squeemish about using these wipes. For many, many years babies were diapered and wiped with cloth. This cloth was washed and reused and even handed down to another baby.You may have been diapered this way too.TP has not been popular for all that many yrs. In the fiftys many homesteaders were still using corncobs, magazines and cloth wipes.
I am not trying to convince anyone, I am just sharing one of my homesteading ways that gets me closer to self-reliance.I think this is why we are here, to share our homesteading life.
Belle
No need to be defensive. I was asking a question. Since you weren't able to answer it, I will have to ask the question from someone else.

I have no concern of getting E.Coli from using a wipe that has been washed as a wipe again. Likely the wipes are of a different pattern or material and not to be confused with wash cloths. The wash cloth used to clean the body is highly unlikely to come in contact with as much feces (one hopes) and the contained viruses and bacteria. Yes I was diapered as an infant for a time in cloth diapers. The soiled diapers were rinsed out in a toilet then went into a bucket with strong bleach solution. The bleach solution kills 99.9% of viruses and bacteria. does your homemade solution do the same? That is the question? Since otherwise you are introducing those viruses to all of your families articles of clothing with the potential introduction of a sickening pathogen from every scratch.

After the shit hits the fan I guess I would use cloths as an option; though i would make sure the water was at a rolling boil for tens minutes. This would sterilize them, then wash them with regular clothes.

So to what degree is your solution capable of killing viruses and bacteria?
Old 12-26-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy1340

LOL

What would you use after TSHTF when TP is no longer available?

Not something I plan on running out and doing but it's a good thing to keep in mind.

Well of course if I lost the ability to run out and grab TP from the store I would "adapt, improvise, overcome" but for the time being I will stick to buying good old SOFT stuff from the store. For those that consider it expensive and choose another route that is fine, I do understand your view, I just don't share it.

"To each their own", could never be more true then decidiing what to wipe with, 8)
Old 01-08-2008, 08:18 PM

It's no different than cloth diapers, and my sons ALL wore cloth diapers. I have enough laundry to do with 3 grown men + myself in the house (farm clothes get soooo dirty!), but if TSHTF, I wouldn't hesitate to use the flannel squares homesteaderbelle mentioned in the least. As a matter of fact, I may make some, and just keep them in the storage closet until the next time we're "blizzarded in", and run low on TP. 'Course, I also have a 50# lard can in the basement with a teeny hole in it (I won't use it or flour or whole grains), so I flattened double rolls of TP and squeezed in as many of those as would fit....Those are to be used BEFORE the flannel squares, when TSHTF!!!!! Hey, any port in a storm, ya know? :-)
Obamacare - A few short steps from the mortician.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Also, if you hang them (either cloth diapers OR Belle's flannel squares) outside in the fresh air and sunshine to dry, they are naturally deoderized and sanitized. That is why it is recommended you dry cloth diapers outside in the sunshine if at all possible. I did that with my boys, and they never got ecoli or any other disease.
Obamacare - A few short steps from the mortician.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
My family and I started doing this because of all of the chemicals the toilet paper companies use on the toilet paper to get it white. We figured it was not good for our bodies or for the environment. ... Belle
To me the cleanliness issue is not such a big issue; of course that has already been covered. And if I was worried about being clean vs. feces, I could use tp for feces and flannel for urine.

On an 11-day hike, we used tp and packed it out with us, but it was also suggested that a successful strategy is to have two bandannas of different colors, maybe ... one yellow and one brown for clarity ... and make do while hiking.

And I think some of us have skimmed over the issues of pollution:

Like the idea that Dioxin, a bleaching byproduct, is one of the most toxic human-made chemicals known. Once released into the environment, it is persistent because natural bacteria can't break it down. It is found in the manufacturing processes, its wastes and even in the paper products themselves.

There are other toxins including Dioxide in chlorinated (bleached) toilet paper because most pulp and paper mills use chlorine-based chemicals to bleach pulp white.

The end result is that when we buy toilet paper bleached with chlorine (any white tp), we support pulp and paper mills that pollute our environment with dioxin and other toxic chemicals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing it too. Planning for a change. What we don't know, we can't change.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT.
No need to be defensive. I was asking a question. Since you weren't able to answer it, I will have to ask the question from someone else.
Your own bodily wastes NORMALLY contain ONLY your own pathagens. I am certainly not advocating throwing away all traces of cleanliness, just trying to note the relative lack of danger of washing and reusing cloth wipes. I certainly would not share reusable wipes with strangers, but with my family who are exposed to all the ills that I am exposed to does not worry me too much.

Have you ever kissed a baby? Do you know where his hands have been? I am less concerned with my own than with others.

Outside aired laundry is nearly always 100% germ-free, boiling water is always a washing option.

Vic
Old 01-30-2008, 08:58 AM

I really like the idea of using cloth.
Whatever tips I can get that keep me from pulling into a store and going in.....I will consider. Thanks for the idea!!!

Yes, the sun is a natural disinfecting agent.
Why vultures will at sunrise, when the sun is at its highest medicine, raise its wings and turn in a circle, for disinfecting.
I've never seen one do this, but heard they do.
I'd love to witness this!

You all take care!

Karen
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM

Karen, I've seen buzzards do that a lot but I never would have thought that they were disinfecting themselves. Buzzards are so gross. I think they'd be offended to find out someone thought they were disinfecting. I'm pretty sure they take great pride in NOT being disinfected LOL. :P
Ok...back to the TP conversation.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Hauseienda

It was great to read all of the conversations on this topic as I too have thought about this need if TSHTF. Gave me good ideas and the best laugh of my day.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Inactive Member

It's amazing that we, as a society, become so used to niceties so quickly.
Do you think Jim Bridger carried a case of TP with him while he explored the mountains? The Mormons who settled the salt lake area surely didn't carry several wagon loads of TP with them. What 'bout the common poor folks of 150-200 years ago. Think they had TP?
Only a few, very few, generations ago TP was unheard of, now we (and here I do me me also) can't do without it. Promise you that when I plan a camping trip one of my first chores is to secure a place for the TP.
Are we becoming spoiled?

alan
Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
So does anyone here use this besides myself?
Belle
Hi Belle,
We use cloth toilet paper in my house too. We just started doing it, and so far we are just using it for urine. I cut up an old flannel crib blanket for this purpose. I find that the flannel is way softer than any brand of toilet paper, and way more absorbent.

I do laundry every day, and I just throw the pieces of flannel into the wash. I am not the least bit concerned about a little bit of urine. I'm very happy with this setup because we're saving a lot of money in toilet paper--maybe this is too much information, but since I am pregnant I need to go pee VERY OFTEN! ;D And conserving paper as well. Not to mention the nasty chemicals that are used in the production of bleached toilet paper.

I also have some old, gently used pieces of flannel that I am thinking of turning into hankies to reduce how many Kleenexes we have to use. I already have a few cotton hankies that I purchased, and I love them because they work so much better than the flimsy paper tissues.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 PM

I grew up in a poorer household and when we could not afford even TP, we used washcloths. We washed them well...and all 4 of us in the house used washcloths. I am alive and well 20 years later. I'll do it again if I have to.

Great topic and eye opener!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 PM

I use cloth toilet "paper". We are sold!!!!

Way less itchy (down there) than before. All those wood fibres irritating my nether-regions have dissappeared!

for now.... we dissinfect by throwing our used wipes in a bucket with a few drops of Teatree oil in water. then when it's time to wash we run a spin cycle to get the teatree oil water out..... i fill the washing machine to whatever amount of water I want then soak in H2O2 (hydrogen Pyroxide). i throw 2 cups in and let the washing machine go for a minute then let it soak. 1/2 hour to and hour and everything fer sure will be dead, then .... throw all my other stuff in there and add my soap and rinse with vinegar and dry.

sounds complicated but it's not.... it's what I do with undies and dirty socks anyway so.... no biggie.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Master Pontificator

Id consider it, but i dont have any flannel to use. I guess I'll have to scoot my rear across the grass like a dog if i run out of TP money. That said, if i ever run out of money to buy TP and im too pathetic to steal it from a public bathroom, wiping my butt will be the least of my worries.