BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum News & Announcements

Forum News & Announcements Where we'll post permanent messages for all members.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Default Message from the BHM publisher

Dear Members,

The BHM Readers' Forum was created to provide a place where people could meet and exchange information and ideas related to self-reliance and independent living. It existed for many years, peacufully and unmoderated. Members settled their differences by themselves, even if the settlement was an agreement to disagree.

In 2006, we experienced a period where a few members decided they ran the Forum and incivility became commonplace. Sadly, many valued members left before we realized the severity of the problem. Some have returned and new members arrive every day.

I am happy to say the Forum has returned to a place where civil discourse on a wide range of topics is the rule rather than the exception, thanks to the ongoing efforts of our excellent moderators. They are not referees or judges, but are here to help anyone who has a question and to watch for members and posts that break the two simple rules, above. They have the power to edit or remove offensive posts, but they use that power judiciously.

We don't have a lot of rules here, but the few we do have we insist upon. All we ask is that members remain civil and treat other members with courtesy and respect, even when they hold different opinions. And because Backwoods Home Magazine and this website are family-oriented, we also ask that you refrain from using course or foul language.

Be aware that if you choose to visit the General, Political, or Freedom boards, you will encounter members with very strong opinions, ones with which you may well disagree. If that is the case, feel free to make your case in opposition, but do it logic, reason, and facts, and without name-calling or other incivility. Or feel free to use the "Ignore" button to block posts from any members whose opinions you find you cannot tolerate.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Should you ever have any questions or concerns about the Forum, please contact one of the moderators, or Oliver, our webmaster and Forum administrator.

--Dave
Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Message from the BHM publisher

The only problem with mods are they are in charge of my thoughts and opinions.

And they are only human.

ODS has so much more experience than they do---HIS opinion and input is highly respected.

Some of the mods lean a little heavy when there is no
cause.

I have high respect for Carol Ann and 12volt--the others I dont know---have no relationship from the old days ---

IMO---ODS should BE THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED TO REMOVE ANY POST?THREAD>

Txanne aka annie--newly returned old timer
Old 11-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Good thoughts TxAnne.
I write on several forums. Some are very well moderated - in other words, the posts are not removed as long as there is no name calling. Some allow their own 'pets' and employees to post any sort of insult or foul language, but will immediately remove anything that they disagree with, foul language or honest sentiment alike. I have dealt with all sorts of people in those forums - some reasonable, rational and down to earth, some with god complexes, and everything in between.

And I left this forum when it got too rough on people who wanted to debate all sides of an issue without rancor. I wandered back and found to my pleasure that it had gone back to being what I wanted (and, to be strictly honest, needed). Actually, this is my favorite forum, and the one I go to now to be educated and have some fun without getting my head bitten off, or having someone purposefully misinterpret what I say. (One guy in charge of one forum actually insisted that all "LOL's" did not mean what they said - that they were a way to try to 'sneak in' comments that he disagreed with!!) I am pretty mean and irascible and I know it - but I try to keep a civil finger on the keyboard.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 AM

so guys have you been leaning heavy
of course I am trying to control everybody's thoughts and opinions. ROFL
Old 11-28-2007, 04:09 PM

Bookwormom just beats me up before i can even post and makes me post only what the Ministry of Truth wants posted... oh wait, this isn't 1984 . I think these forums are great, I have a hot temper so I just stay clear of the political and religious areas
Old 11-28-2007, 05:55 PM

I am on 5-6 boards that I visit daily. My home board is well, my "home". A place where I can relate to my cyber friends, tell them my troubles, share my opinions and good times and feel secure.

I am sure many of you feel that way about this board and that is good. I also popped in here as a guest during the "troubles" and it was pretty bad. It is better now although I suspect primarily due to Management and ODS.

Exodus

Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom
so guys have you been leaning heavy
of course I am trying to control everybody's thoughts and opinions. ROFL

You deleted one of my post---ODS put it back!!

remember?

Let me express an opinion here--Ok?

This was my home forum--for a long time.

You came in after a long and tedious battle--as ODS says--got away from him before he realized it----that said---

You are new to many of us--well not now as you have been here a few now---

Each of us have voices---and I know many many of the voices here--many of them left---sad to say more or less forced to because of serious disagreements--that we believe could have been dealt with.

But I DONOT know you---and its like someone coming into a room and suddenly throwing their weight around.

IMO of course--

--my post count and orginal date have been erased due to a complete forum crashing. ODS worked to salvage as much as he could---We lost SO much info that would have given you more insight to our lives and community here.[[That was here]]

I guess saying things in a more personal vain would make you understand how I Feel.

Txanne

Txanne
Old 11-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne
The only problem with mods are they are in charge of my thoughts and opinions.

And they are only human.

ODS has so much more experience than they do---HIS opinion and input is highly respected.

Some of the mods lean a little heavy when there is no
cause.

I have high respect for Carol Ann and 12volt--the others I dont know---have no relationship from the old days ---

IMO---ODS should BE THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED TO REMOVE ANY POST?THREAD>

Txanne aka annie--newly returned old timer
Annie,

Thank you for the vote of confidence. However, the hyperbole seems to have reached new heights with your claim that the mods are in charge of your thoughts and opinions.

They are in charge of making sure that members do not cross the line into incivility or other nastiness, and from what I've seen, they've all done a great job of it. I believe only once or twice, early on when we first had mods, would I have handled something differently.

You, and everyone else, are free to say what you will in whatever civil, respectful manner you choose. We ask from members only the same behavior here as we would exhibit if we were invited into your homes.

The fact is that I simply do not have the time it would take to read everything posted here. That is how and why we had such trouble last year. That is why we now have six very good moderators, all of whom have my complete respect and support.

Should one of the mods, in your opinion, "lean a little heavy when there is no cause" simply contact me via email or PM with an explanation of what happened and what you think should have been done instead. And be sure to include a link to the actual post. It might take a day or two to get back to you, but I will personally review any complaint from any member.

And since you only know from the old days CarolAnn and 12vman, why not make an effort to get to know the others? You might be pleasantly surprised to find they are simply regular folks, just like everyone else here.

Thanks again for the kind words. Rest assured I'll be quoting you, verbatim, next time one of my kids questions my judgment or opinion. ;D

Oliver
Old 11-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne
But I DONOT know you---and its like someone coming into a room and suddenly throwing their weight around.

IMO of course--
Annie,

If you visit a city, should the cops there not do their job because you don't know them?

Any time you think the mods have made a mistake, let me know about it. But they are the mods BHM chose and I hope you, and everyone else, will treat them with the respect they deserve.

As I said in the previous post, make an effort to get to know them. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Oliver

Old 11-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Annie,

If you visit a city, should the cops there not do their job because you don't know them?

Any time you think the mods have made a mistake, let me know about it. *But they are the mods BHM chose and I hope you, and everyone else, will treat them with the respect they deserve.

As I said in the previous post, make an effort to get to know them. *I don't think you will be disappointed.

Oliver

Chosen by BWH----?

That use ot be the folks of BWH--was that you/Duffy that chose tem?

Just asking..

BTW--you evidently dont know my opinion of cops---

Txanne
Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 AM

You deleted one of my post---ODS put it back!!

remember?

yes, I remember it well, it was very embarrassing. (ODS did not put it back, it was just gone). I was posting to a thread and had not read all the posts, then noticed I was just being redundant and decided to delete my post. Instead of deleting my post I pressed the wrong button and deleted the whole thread. It was an honest mistake and I immediately apologized. I recall that alma had a big post in the thread, maybe farmboy did too, you must have had a comment in there too. They all said no big deal, forget it. Except you. You insinuated I did it on purpose, to show my power or something like that.
Mods are just regular members and our postings are no different than anybody else's. If I express my opinion on a subject it is just that, my opinion, and has nothing whatsoever to do with moderating.
I hope we can put this to rest and just go on with the forum.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Can't we all just get along..?

I know of a site that if anyone shows disrespect to ANY of the mods they are booted.. Period! No Questions..

Actually I haven't seen very much "moddin'" going on myself. I think the moderators that we have are pretty open minded about things. It was kinda tough at the start but it's all good now, I believe..

We ain't "Cops". We ain't got no guns. All we have is some duct tape and bailin' wire. Ollie's got the gun. He operates the big boot, not us. Most all issues are discussed as a group. Most final decisions are made by Oliver. Not one of us can be partial. It's a very fair system we have, IMO..

Most everyone that knows me well.. knows me. I wouldn't say anything unless I felt things were gettin' out of hand. This place has been through a lot in the past and it ain't goin' back there as long as I can do anything about it. The magic is slowly returning and I'm so very thankful to all of the members that make this forum a nice place to visit and a place to call home..
~Don
*Robert Frost*
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vman
Can't we all just get along..? *

I know of a site that if anyone shows disrespect to ANY of the mods they are booted.. Period! No Questions..

Actually I haven't seen very much "moddin'" going on myself. I think the moderators that we have are pretty open minded about things. It was kinda tough at the start but it's all good now, I believe..

We ain't "Cops". We ain't got no guns. All we have is some duct tape and bailin' wire. Ollie's got the gun. He operates the big boot, not us. Most all issues are discussed as a group. Most final decisions are made by Oliver. Not one of us can be partial. It's a very fair system we have, IMO..

Most everyone that knows me well.. knows me. I wouldn't say anything unless I felt things were gettin' out of hand. This place has been through a lot in the past and it ain't goin' back there as long as I can do anything about it. The magic is slowly returning and I'm so very thankful to all of the members that make this forum a nice place to visit and a place to call home..
~Don

Don,

We are getting along!!!!!

I am expressing an OPINION here---now is that againest Forum policy?

There isnt anything going on--here--[[ :]] that warrants moding.

Great!!So be it---

Are we not allowed to say--we dont like something?

I know---I know just because I dont like something--AINT going to may it go away---and bookwormom likes that--as you can read in her post preceding this one.

But one day---we will have mods WITh guns--trust me on that one---and when we express an opinion--they will be at our front door----

Doesn't anyone besides me hear The Train acoming?

I have expressed an opinion here and apparently--not well received--But then thats nothing new.

Cops and mods are Not saviors---they can protect noone--they are mop up squads---clean up crews.

IMO--Txanne

Old 12-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Lord, Annie, surely you know the cops - mods thing was an analogy meant to point out that just because you don't have a long history with or personally know someone, it does not mean they can't do their job.

The mods here do a great job. So far, no member has contacted me to say they prefer the Forum to go back to the nasty place it had become. Do you want that?

I don't know what problem you have with bookwormom, but if you'd care to enlighten me in a PM then do so and we'll deal with it. These little remarks you drop in are beginning to annoy even me, and you know how much I'll tolerate.

As far as I can see, all she's done is make one mistake when she was new at modding, and it appears you are never going to let her forget it. That ends here and now. If you have a problem with any of the mods here, you PM me. These folks are volunteering their time and effort to make the Forum a better place for everyone, and none of them deserves to be treated by you with anything but respect in the Forum, just as you deserve to be treated with respect by them and everyone else.

Have I made my position clear? A simple yes or a detailed explanation of why not will be appreciated.

Oliver

Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM

Hummmmmm---I'm sitting here tonight wondering how to keep the pair of hawks from killing another of my hens;wondering how to keep my goats from getting sick because it was near 80 here today and they're predicting possible SNOW FLURRIES for here this weekend; and working til the wee hours every night trying to keep things made for my little farm store because my mother's estate is STILL NOT settled and of course money is in short supply around my little homestead.....

And I'm THINKING of how the forum was when I first joined, (I think in 1997 or 1998) and I'm wishing we could all just get back to helping each other like we did back then....no bickering nor fighting....just helping...encouraging....hum........hopefully we're heading back to those olden days of encouragement, education, and help...
Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Passed On

I agree wholeheartedly. When I check in here I usually skim the last 50 posts. I don’t see a lot of useful information – just a lot of long-winded arguments and opinions put out by members that seem to have nothing useful to offer in the way of practical information. You never see these folk talking about things they’ve built, grown or raised. If you want to see who you're dealing with, click on their profile name. At the bottom you can look at the last 10 posts or so. That should be enough to see what sort of posts the person puts up.

Last summer I saw somebody new get run off because they had the audacity to voice an opinion in the general conference. I couldn’t believe all the stuff that was getting thrown at them. They never came back. I recently saw a couple from Idaho talking about a secure compound and recruiting folk to join their group. Maybe it was a scam, maybe it was legit – I don’t know. They were run off by these same folk. Funny thing was, the people that ran them off have voiced some of the most hair-brained, paranoid nonsense I have ever read.

The ignore button does work. You can still see the person you are ignoring has posted, you just can’t see the contents of the post. This has proven to be a good litmus test for whether or not a thread is worth reading – if those people are participating in the thread, there is nothing of value.

For information to be useful, it has to meet one of two requirements:
1) Does it put food on my table
2) Does it improve my living situation?

If the answer to both of these is no, then the thread is probably some ego pontificating at length – they have an opinion and we’re entitled to see it.

I have been sending PMs to new people, warning them to avoid the controversial threads – like General, Politics, Current Events, Philosophy, Theology, Religion, etc. because they are full of trolls and you will get sucked in so far you will forget what you came here for.

And Admin – a conspiracy theory conference? I mean, really!

Something that first impressed me about this forum was that people were talking about politics, religion, etc. It seemed refreshing – most internet forums have a ban on that because they result in flame wars. After seeing a few meltdowns here close up, I can now see the wisdom in such a policy.

Freedom of speech is a good thing. That’s what the political blogs are for. There are also other forums – The Gulch, and the newest – FreedomStand – where you can enjoy free speech, examine conspiracies at length and chat with friends. I don’t necessarily think it should be banned here – but let’s get back to the mission of this forum – to exchange practical and useful information. While politics and such do figure into it – if they become the preoccupation of this forum, it has lost it’s mission. If these topics can’t be handled as a part of the whole and wind up taking over, maybe these limbs need to be amputated?

Recently there was some sort of falling out with Deberosa, one of the moderators. She was a good moderator and smart enough to stick with farming and livestock. You can thank her for the tractor forum. Well, she got sucked into one of the controversial opinion fests, and the next thing I know, she’s gone. The woman gave me useful advice and spent some time explaining her experiences. We really lost an asset when she left.

Sadly, when some of the more useless folk go off in a huff, they eventually come back. (thank-goodness for the ignore button!)

My hope is they will get bored recycling the same old tripe and wander off before I get bored waiting for useful information.

Then again, this is my opinion.

Regards,
Pat
Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 AM

Deary me: I have had [on another site altogether] problems, like: they could say what they liked about me: but, among other things, I left after some 'moderator' didn't like my link to the Times of India, which pointed out that that country had very poor soil, thus, very poor nutrition, thus, very poor mental ability amongst some of its population, enough for the government to worry about it. The 'moderator' as it turned out, was a Fijian Indian: not really what I was talking about, but , 'racist' on my part. REALLY DUMB, on their part. SO, so long as the moderators are looking after the tone and stepping in to prevent pack-attack mentality, and what ever else it takes to keep things civil, good on you.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by idris
Deary me: I have had [on another site altogether] problems, like: they could say what they liked about me: but, among other things, I left after some 'moderator' didn't like my link to the Times of India, which pointed out that that country had very poor soil, thus, very poor nutrition, thus, very poor mental ability amongst some of its population, enough for the government to worry about it. The 'moderator' as it turned out, was a Fijian Indian: not really what I was talking about, but , 'racist' on my part. REALLY DUMB, on their part. SO, so long as the moderators are looking after the tone and stepping in to prevent pack-attack mentality, and what ever else it takes to keep things civil, good on you.
Thanks, idris.

All we ask of our members is that they treat other members with respect and conduct their conversations and debates in a civil manner.

Why that is so hard for some is beyond me.

Thanks again.

Oliver
Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 AM

I like Annie, lost lots of lots of posts and my identity as BamaSuzy when the system crashed way back when...and like Annie I remember how it was way back then when all of us old timers were just new here too...

But like I said in my previous post here, let's get back to where we were...

There are so many important things us old timers could be sharing with these new folks....and GOSH....I learn something new EVERY day here at Old Field Farm....I guess this homestead living will be a learning process until the day I day (hopefully at age 103 in the goat pen with all my four-footed best-buddies all around me...)...

I appreciate the forum and everything I've learned here and the great friends I've made through it....

If we can't get along here, how in the world do we expect to get along in the "real world"...

I appreciate Oliver, Dave, and the others and we should all support BWH magazine since that is who makes this forum possible!