Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Canning/Preserving

Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Canning meatloaf

Here ya go sissy. This recipe is from an older canning book but the process time for meat products are still the same. Enjoy!

Meat loaf
2 lb hamburger (as lean as you can afford) ( I use 90/10)
1 cup finely chopped onion
cup finely chopped bell pepper(red and green)
cup celery finely chopped
1 sleeve of crackers crushed fine
cup seasoned bread crumbs(ya can just use more crackers)
2 whole eggs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
black pepper to taste
some condensed tomato soup

Mix the ingredients together and use enough of the tomato soup (condensed) to make the mixture hold shape. Maybe half a can. At this point you can shape in a loaf and bake covered with the remaining tomato soup mixed with some water till it tests done.

To can:
Use wide mouth pint jars, they will be straight neck for ease of removal later. Put a chunk of meatloaf in the jar, loosely pack leaving 1 inch of head space. Screw on lid, put in pressure canner, process at 10 lb pressure for 75 minutes. (adjust your processing for your elevation). Any fat that accumulates around the meatloaf in the jar can easily be removed before reheating to serve.

Have a great day!

stella

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM

Thank ya Stella, It's sounds good, Next time HB is on sale I'll try it.
sissy
Old 07-31-2010, 01:36 PM

Shame such a recipe is not considered safe by today's canning rules since it contains bread products, dairy products, and probably some unknown stuff in the already cooked tomato soup. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanNerd View Post
Shame such a recipe is not considered safe by today's canning rules since it contains bread products, dairy products, and probably some unknown stuff in the already cooked tomato soup. I wouldn't recommend it.
Do you work for the FDA or the USDA? Just curious, since I haven't really seen you recommend anything not handed down by the government. We all know they have "our best interests" in mind, right?

WVMan73
Old 07-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Master Pontificator

Stella, Your meat loaf sounds delish...and we sure do like meatloaf...with mashed potatoes, and another veggie...you're recipe is making me hungry!

Thank You for posting it!

Gracie
Old 07-31-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMan73 View Post
Do you work for the FDA or the USDA? Just curious, since I haven't really seen you recommend anything not handed down by the government. We all know they have "our best interests" in mind, right?
No. It's called learning and becoming educated about the facts. And an interesting fact is that scientists and researchers are continually trying to find answers and make things better, especially on such topics as bacteria and food spoilage and poisoning. A big breakthrough occurred in the mid 90's and resulted in all canning recipes and books to be rewritten to reflect the new knowledge and procedures.

Sure, you can continue to live like your ancestors, but some prefer to live a more modern and safer existence, like wearing seat belts or getting a new cellphone with more features.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:04 PM

I'm not a teacher and it is better that people learn things directly, which is why the Internet is such a good tool and the ability to search it, but you might try starting to learn about the C. Botulinum spore and then perhaps make a few visits to the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:40 PM

I find that comment rather strange since you don't even know how to do a simple search or go to a website. And I don't really know or care why you seem to have such a chip on your shoulder.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Inactive Member

Don't even go down this road.

If you intend to make statements that you claim to be fact, then be prepared to back it up with credible sources.

It is always best to follow guidelines,.... at least until a person becomes experienced and educated about canning.

With that said, there are a lot of things that are not recommended because they haven't been tested or because they err on the side of caution whether it is needed or not..... in my opinion.

No need to argue about this. You can make a statement, with a link to a reference to back your statement.

Ultimately it is every person's responsibility to know what they are doing when canning, and how they choose to can is their choice whether others like it or not. All any individual can do is give information on what is recommended.

Paul
Old 07-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Master Pontificator

Default lol

lol sorry guys but readign this thread i half to post this

Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Inactive Member

If you have an issue, deal with it via PM. I already posted when you came back with another posting aimed at stirring the pot even further.

Paul
Old 07-31-2010, 06:25 PM

Sorry Paul, I should have Pm for the recipe
sissy
Old 07-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy View Post
Sorry Paul, I should have Pm for the recipe
sissy
Not at all. Several of us wanted the recipe. lol
Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 PM

Default It's the weather

DH came in and said - Honey don't even go into the back yard. The "girls" are on the warpath. He's talking about his bees - they are testy as all get out because of the weather. Think it is effecting people the same way. Lol - people, find an air conditioner, your cold drink of choice and chill - life is way too short to have a big blow up over meatloaf - prime rib maybe but not meatloaf, although I do appreciate the recipe of the OP.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 PM

It does seem like all this hot weather is making a lot of folks a little "testy", lately. Not as much "agree to disagree" as usually happens here and on other forums, too.

As to CanNerd's post on the time frame it was a bit earlier. Late 1980's. If memory serves, it may have been the early 90's before some of the major home food preservation books printed revised editions. I'd have to go back and check the printing dates of Putting Food By and Stocking Up. FWIW, I have copies of both before and after the revisions in question.

Googling........

Here's a link with a reference to the year 1988 with regards to canning tomatoes and based on research done at Penn. State U. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/dj1097.html

Here's another reference to the year 1988.
http://homecooking.about.com/od/cann...ningsafety.htm

And, if memory serves that's about time the guidelines on pressure changed from 10 lbs pressure to 11 lbs. Researching on the net is slow on dial-up. (sigh) Probably be faster to pull out the older Ball Blue books to try to pin point it for sure.

OK, figured out a keyword group that zero's in on the subject.
Canning Safety 1988
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/j...fety_71707.php
http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/fcs/foodpres.htm
http://www.ehow.com/about_5285391_ca...cid-foods.html
http://www.westvirginiapreppersnetwo...e-canning.html

Buried in the details here is more information on the dates involved with updates to canning guidelines. http://www.pickyourown.org/home_canning_statistics.htm

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
DH came in and said - Honey don't even go into the back yard. The "girls" are on the warpath. He's talking about his bees - they are testy as all get out because of the weather. Think it is effecting people the same way. Lol - people, find an air conditioner, your cold drink of choice and chill - life is way too short to have a big blow up over meatloaf - prime rib maybe but not meatloaf, although I do appreciate the recipe of the OP.
Hey lets not knock meatloaf...........its a staple at our house! lol We never seem to get tired of it. I would like to try canning it, would be a great time saver.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom5farmboys View Post
Hey lets not knock meatloaf...........its a staple at our house! lol We never seem to get tired of it. I would like to try canning it, would be a great time saver.
not knocking meatloaf - just saying it's not worth a big fight over.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:51 PM

I NEVER have a problem with canning my mom's old recipes... I keep an old calendar from the 60's in my kitchen. When i want to can mom's old recipes, i hang the old calendar up on the wall, and use mom's old canning utensils. That way everything is "ok", and no one gets sick...

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:36 PM

Talking

ROFLMAO!! DM, that's the best comeback I've heard all day.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalpa View Post
ROFLMAO!! DM, that's the best comeback I've heard all day.
lol maybe it's true???

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.