Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Building/Tools

Building/Tools Anything to do with construction, remodeling, etc.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Moving a mini-barn / shed

If this is in the wrong place, forgive me, and please move me where I need to be!

*IF* and that's a big if, I score this mini barn I am looking at, I don't know how to move it?

Two scenario's

1. Disassemble. How in the world would I disassemble the barn without destroying it? How would I lift the roof off? It looks to be at least a 10 x 10, but maybe as big as a 12 x 12. That roof would weight a small ton!
Disassembling sounds like a nightmare.

2. Loading it up on a trailer, and moving it.
It's about 10 miles north of me.
First, I don't own a trailer that is wide enough to haul this thing up. I would have to rent one (don't know anyone with a flat bed trailer).
Then, how would I get the barn, up on the trailer, without trashing it??

Has anyone moved a mini barn with success???

Thank you!!

Old 08-01-2010, 09:16 PM

Need some specifics. Height length width do are they the prebuilt ones or are they on a foundation. Also How far and what state are you in
Me and my boys just moved a 10x16 and a 10x10 that we acquired.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 PM

Default Shed move

My suggestion would be to get a smaller roll back wrecker to winch it up on its bed and move it for you.You would need to know if the underframework/floor joists would stand the move.If in doubt about that get 2 6x6s or something like that and attach them under it to the bottom to make them into a set of skids to pull on/slide around.Also before you move it staple a light plastic or tarp on the roof to keep the shingles on it.I've done quite a bit of this kinda thing and the rollback method is the only way to go.For a winch on and move to set shouldn't be more than 250.If you decide to DIY with rollers under it(pipe works)then come along/winch it on trailer and transport something 2xs as wide as you're car, good luck.Don't forget that anything on a vehicle or trailer that is wider than 8'6" taller than13'6" requires a permit from state and local dot.You could also get with any of those shed storage folks to see who moves thiers.Sorry if I rattled on but thats a large under taking if you dont have the equipment or know how.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Inactive Member

I've moved two buildings. One was an old well house, heavy as heck. The other was an 8'by8' shed I had build with bridge timbers. It, too, was heavy.

I used the car trailer and several pieces of pipe. I backed up to it. I did it this way on both sheds. The I went around to the back and jacked it up. As it tilted forward, I kept jacking. I put pipe under the side that was going to be on the trailer. It tipped over great. They I ran a couple chains around the bottom (back) and to the front of the trailer. I used a heavy duty come-a-long and just winched it up onto the trailer. With the pipes under it, it rolled really easily. As one pipe would roll out the back, I would take it and put it back to the front.

When I got home, I did something similar. The only difference is that there was nothing to winch to behind the trailer to roll the sheds off. So, I parked the tractor behind it and attached the come-a-long to the tractor and winched it backward until the edge was on the ground. Then I used jacks on the trailer to jack it up until it set upright in place.

By the way, this may not be the safest way and may look a little redneck, but it worked.

I also dismantled two barns for the lumber for my house. One was an old hay barn and the other was a very small 100 year old milking barn. Yes, you can dismantle it without destroying it. It's hard work but, it's worth it for free lumber.

Paul
Old 08-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned

Call some in your area who sells mini barns and have them move it for you. They have a special trailer to load and unload them.

If a small barn call a rollback truck and have it transported.

I have done it both ways
Old 08-01-2010, 11:08 PM

Oh dear-...I know I've told this story before but-We moved a 16x20 two story mini barn 12 miles. First we cut the 2nd floor off-then had a crane come and put the two pieces on a flatbed(this was by a crane company that supposedly was professional). Then the convoy went down rte 28 on a friday afternoon in the middle of the Summer (not good). Well it took a lot longer than we thought because they didn't put the bottom section of the barn on the flat bed correctly and an entire corner of the barn fell off into the roadway (in traffic). After it was picked up and they finally got to my house the mammoth crane tried to get into my driveway-ha! It was too big and ended up crushing the railroad ties along the side of the driveway and crashing into my privet hedge. Well then the crane put those big stabilizer feet down and the crane started to tip sideways. The guys had not checked out my property first (obviously) to see that our driveway, even though we have hard pack underneath was made of crushed seashells. OK-an hour later after they figured out how to stabilize the crane lifted the whole mess into the back yard. It stayed in two pieces for two weeks because by that point it was dark and there was no way they could put the 2nd floor back on with an entire corner of the first floor missing. DH had to run to the sawmill and buy lumber to totally rebuild that corner of the barn. They tried charging me 4x what they had quoted me because of their own mess which of course I fought and WON.
OK-my point? Make sure whoever you get to do this for you knows what the blazes they are doing because it will not end up the way you want.
We are happy with our barn now-dh shingled the outside and did a lot of other work to it and it is fantastic-don't want to scare you.
PS
It might be easier to dismantle it-this is from DH when I told him about your post.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 AM

At 12 x 12 it would be easy for the people that build sheds if it has a floor.

It will move on a car hauler trailer with tiedowns and RR ties to get it above the wheels.

The wrecker co that I drove for would get $50 to load and $3 per mile at 102 in wide and $90 to load and $7 per mile at 10 ft wide. Annual oversize permit, over 10 ft is a trip permit.

I paid $10 for a 14 x 20 shed a couple af years ago, moved it on an 18 foot equipment trailer with a 50 Chevy ton truck. Put it on with a comealong and took it off over the side with 4 boat anchors and comealongs. Used 2x8s for skids and 3/4 pipe for rollers

I was a 'shanty shaker' for 8 years pulling MHs up to 16 feet wide and 84 feet long with a 21 foot long truck.

If it is over 102 in wide get a solid bid.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM

*UPDATE*

Called the county assessor and got the parcel numbers.
She referred me to the state, as these properties were bought by the state to be demolished for a road expansion.

I put my call into the DOT to see what's up. Waiting for the call back.

Thank you so much for the advice!!

I didn't go stomping around the property because it was marked "no trespassing". If they give me permission, I will go check it out closer. One building looks to be less than 5 years old, metal, and 6 x 20. If they give me the nod to 'take' them.....I will take both this building and the mini barn on the property next door, which appears to be about 10 x 12 (or a tick bigger). Its a little older looking......but once I get permission, I will get photos for all to see!!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Inactive Member

I don't know about the state you live in, but in Kansas, when they "buy" the ground to expand roads, all buildings are auctioned off with a time frame that it has to be moved.

I once bought a 16 x 20 for $40. It was all solid wood. I took it down to move it.

In our state there is a mailing list that a person can get on, and the state will send you information every time they schedule an auction.

Paul
Old 08-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Any buildings on land purchased by Indiana for projects like this are demo by a contractor. The state does not allow then to be salvaged because of liability.

Find out if this project has been bid yet and who the contractor is.... contact them and make your inquiry about the building.

These kind of things end up spoils for the contractors employees
Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 AM

I used to work for a truss manufacturing company. When things were slow in the winter we would build mini barns and sell them throughout the year. We delivered them with a roll off trailer that we used to deliver trusses. It was similar to a roll back truck except the trailer had locking rollers built into the trailer bed.

In Indiana loads over 8’ 4” need to be flagged with oversize load signs and red flags but a permit isn’t needed till the load is over 12’ 4”. Also, at least three straps or chains should be used to keep it legal.

Something I have seen several times is using poles or logs placed under a small building or grain bin like skids and pulled down the road behind a tractor. I have no idea what kind of mileage you can get out of a log.