BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM

Default Howdy from FL soon to be MO

I joined in Sept 09 and am just getting around to my intro post. Always been the self reliant type and will be moving in the spring to MO to try and be as self sufficient as possible. We just can't and don't want to keep up with the rats in this rat race. Plus we're pofolk and don't think we'll do to well here in FL in the future so we're going out West to the Ozarks to buy as much land as we can afford to pay cash for and start setting up our homestead. Don't know if we'll be on or off the grid and we'll most likely be living in our 5th wheel at first but we'll deal with it.
Hope to learn a lot and maybe teach a few things here. I'm a mechanic and fabricator but can do anything when it comes to working with my hands. 40 sumpn with a wife and two kids 7 and 8.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome...where in FL are you? I know we have a FL guy with a homestead in N FL -- I want to say Dave, but I can't recall if that's his screen name, too. He might be able to give you good advice on staying in FL -- winters are much nicer!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:49 PM

Ctrl FL and my minds made up. Winters might be mild but these 9 month summers are a killer. I want my Spring and Autumn back. We lived in the Ozarks for 2 years and loved it. We came back to FL for family but most are gone now. 10k+ for land here, 2k out there and we like the scenery better. The particular county we're headed to is very rural and prop taxes are 1 dollar per acre. 100-1,000 here.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

you'll like it .. welcome aboard.

mo
Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 AM

Talking

Welcome. We are here in central MO (outside of Lebanon). We are (still in the process) of doing more for our selves and being less dependant on everything/everyone. Summers are HOT. Today was 98 (heat index 108). Land is reasonable (depends on where and how much). BUT it was something we decided to do, we paid cash for the land and only paying mortage for the house. Raising crops, livestock and kids. Wouldn't want it any other way. neighbor still helps neighbor, taxes are ok (?) rural schools are small (13 students in my sons 8th grade class last year), the high school he will go to has approx. 135 students this year (total for the whole high school), kids still swim in ponds and creeks, squirrel hunt, ride bikes to friends houses on dirt raods ect....only gun shots we hear is from sighting in the guns, or fresh meat for dinner, note on front door saying that the neighbor is borrowing something and will return it later, So, welcome home, anything ya need, you'll find the answers here by some down to earth good folks.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Master Pontificator

Welcome to the Forum and to Missouri, Am sending y'all best wishes in finding the homestead of your dreams. Lotsa' good folks here in the state and also in the Forum.

Gracie
Old 08-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Welcome to MO

We lived in FL for about 5 years and moved back to the midwest and landed in SC MO. The humidity is bad in MO and it gets hot (real hot like now) but nothing like FL. You will love the change of seasons and the cool breezes. A lot of places the ground is very hard to work; lots of rocks and not easy to dig. However, there is water and beautiful green scenery and real trees. Sometimes I think I need dynamite to plant tulips, but I still would never go back to FL - even before the gulf troubles. I think you will love it. Welcome.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 AM

Hello from central Illinois. I hope to get to know you all soon.

My husband and I have not been trying to be off the grid, but have wanted to be to self reliant.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:01 PM

Howdy,

Welcome to the forum, and come join us in the chat room. There are several there every night about 9pm your time. We are in SC Missouri, 30 miles NW of West Plains. Any idea on the time frame you are looking at to make the move?

Hopefully we can be neighbors.

Oldie
Old 08-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
Howdy,

Welcome to the forum, and come join us in the chat room. There are several there every night about 9pm your time. We are in SC Missouri, 30 miles NW of West Plains. Any idea on the time frame you are looking at to make the move?

Hopefully we can be neighbors.

Oldie
I'd say we'll be fairly close. We just put down money on 7 acres 30 miles due North of West Plains. We'll be headed out there in the Spring probably in March. Better weather for living in a 5th wheel which will be our home until I get something built. Might just be one big room built on to the 5th wheel for the first year or two but it will be enough to put the wood stove in. Got a property with an Easterly view for miles. We'll be roughing it with no running water for a while due to well drilling cost but there is elec/phone on the road frontage.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Master Pontificator

Howdy, pull up a chair, put on a feedbag and enjoy the conversation!!
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 08-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Well, it sounds like we will be close enough to have coffee lol, 30miles N would put you up in the Willow Springs area. I hope you looked it over well, as there is a lot of rock in the soil around there. It makes it rough to garden for sure unless you are thinking raised beds.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:03 PM

I plan on doing a little bit of everything and heavy on the raised beds. I lived in the area several years back and dug a hole once.