BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Looking for a good book / website

I went to the library and checked out a TON of books on how to start my own business......

Can you recommend any good books, or websites??

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Here are some examples - http://www.sba.gov/aboutsba/sbaprograms/sbdc/index.html

This is the small business development center website. Find a local one near you. The college by us has an office there and you can go in and they will help you. Some seminars cost money, but most info is free.

Also, most states have info. Here is Missouri's website with all the forms and state info you need for starting a business.
http://www.mo.gov/business/

It is a place to start. Hope it helps some.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 AM

Just avoid an SBA loan at ALL costs
Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 AM

Default Google search

You don't mention what ideas you might have for a business, so, I suggest doing a Google search of the type of business you're interested in. You will get many links from which you can gain much insight .
Also, Google (subject) "forums" and you might find one where you can learn and ask questions.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 AM

I'd just add don't get caught up in "musts". You "must" have "this" to get started. Don't get stuck thinking that you HAVE to have a brick and mortar business either.

The internet is so powerful for small business owners but so many people think they have to have that traditional business on the corner.

Not to mention LOW LOW LOW overhead if you set up your business using an internet model.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway_Slave View Post
You don't mention what ideas you might have for a business, so, I suggest doing a Google search of the type of business you're interested in. You will get many links from which you can gain much insight .
Also, Google (subject) "forums" and you might find one where you can learn and ask questions.

Good luck!
Well duh Laura that would help!! Sorry, I would like to open a small eating establishment....breakfast only or a bakery with some breakfast items on the menu.....

Thanks!!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Master Pontificator

I don't know where you live, but here in Canada most cities have a small business center (government run) that helps small businesses start up, gives advice, offers workshops, etc. Unfortunately, owning a business involves a fair amount of red tape, so it's important to make sure you're doing everything by the government book, to avoid problems later.

Be sure to avoid any organizations that say they'll help your business get money to start up, but AREN'T part of the government...we got taken in by one of these scammers. The "Small Business Finance Centre" I think they were called...took more money from us than I care to say, and then gave us a book that supposedly would tell us how to get grants from the gov, but instead it was filled with info that was wildly outdated...even on their website they talk about this guy that got a 30k grant to open a brewery...I googled this brewery and turns out the guy opened it in 1984...Yeah, government grants don't exist anymore, so if someone tells you they can help you get one run, don't walk.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Passed On

I couldnt find ANY helpful "here's how you do it" info when we started our shop. Anywhere. so, we just used our head.

Went to seminar about business organization, and decided we needed a Sub-S corp fr several reasons, liability limitation among others. We hired a lawyer to file the Corp papers. I could do it myself now, but couldn't the first time. That was money well spent. Get a good accountant. Get a reccomendation from several local businsess people for both lawyer and accountant choice.

From our own experience, we determined to not borrow any money for any reason. Our thinking was that business is an investment, so if you don't have the money to invest, you aren't an investor. You are a gambler. This paid off big.

Also, if you borrow money from a bank, you are working for the bank until you get it paid off. If you want to work for a bank, make it simpler and just get a job at a bank! That is roughly what I told all those callers who wanted to "help" our business with loans.

If you have money to invest and a GOOD business idea, fine. If you have to buy a franchise, you don't HAVE a business idea, you bought one, and paid dearly for it.

Get online and learn about all the taxes you have to collect and pay. This includes sales tax, property tax on realestate and capital equipment, income tax, FICA, WC insurance (it's a tax), city, county, state, and federal taxes, etc., ad nauseum. This is the biggest cost item in your budget. Think about that.

What makes your idea better than the next guy's? (9 out of 10 small businesses fail within a year or 2, I forget exactly.) There are reasons for that. The economy is tight, and businesses are going broke every day. There is no "slack", nor excess demand to be filled out there. You will have to take market share from those already established. Can you do that? How?

Keep your investment low. Lease space from yourself, if possible. Same with equipment. If you get sued, all they can get is the cash on hand, and you control that.

Do a market survey yourself. Common sense and TRUE random samples will get you better results than you can buy.

It took us about 2 years to make our business start to pay. This is common. Can you support the business for that long without making a profit?

Learn to be a cutthroat where money is concerned. The rest of the business world operates that way.

Last edited by patience; 09-27-2010 at 12:33 AM.