Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Passed On

Location: I live in North Carolina.. but my heart belongs to Texas
Default Whas your favorite brand Kitchen Knives?

There is a sale on Wusthof kitchen knives that I found. Then I went to the site and found there are levels of quality of their knives.. the Gourmet knives I found on sale are a lil lower down on the list.. but they Are.. Wusthof. If anyone favors the Wusthof.. could you let me know if there is really much difference in the Classic and the Gourmet line?

My real question, tho, is what brand kitchen knives do you think are just the very best? This is something I always wanted.. a really good Chef's knife (probably 8") that I can use to cut up meat.

I'd sure appreciate your input. I keep my knives sharpened but I just don't have one good good knife.

Thanks, Ya'll
~Grizzy~
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. - Blackfoot

Old 09-24-2010, 11:36 PM

I don't think I have any fancy knives Grizzy. I do have one knife in my kitchen though that I use the most. I think it's called an Intruder. It's a... well... a filet knife No idea where I got it but it sure cuts meat and taters and anything else needing cutting in a kitchen really really good. It's the one I reach for most.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Passed On

Me sound uppity an snotty huh want'n a fancy knife haha... but me used nice ones before and what a difference. I buy roasts and cut them up into smaller portions, cut up whole cheekins.. I need a good tool.

Hey.. a fillet knife is one of my favorites! I have a good butcher steel and my stone.. I gess ole Hickory would be good.. I just wondered if anyone ever used one of the Big Boys (wink).

Me betcha yur a good cooker, BigOBear!

~Grizzy~
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. - Blackfoot
Old 09-25-2010, 12:05 AM

Aww... you don't sound uppity Grizzy

I sure do like to cook
Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Well, i have Old Hickory, and they are VERY good. They are also VERY old...

The knives that win BEST BUY in a lot of knife test, is the Victorinox chefs knife. Check Amazon, as they have them discounted, and i've seen them in person, they look like a very good knife to me.

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Master Pontificator

Grizzy, you don't sound uppity or snotty @ all. I used to get so tired of whittling @ meat cuz didn't have a sharp knife and it seemed to take forever to get the job done. My DH bought me a RADA knife, and Grizzy, if it won't cut through a chicken you're getting ready to fry, nothing will. it seems to hold it's sharpness for a long time, and the weight of them feels good in my hand, not too light or too heavy. I'm sure there are better ones to be had, but these (have in the meantime purchased several others they have to offer), are the best have ever used, and it takes no time to cut up whatever, and they are so easy to keep clean. Hope this helps some!

Gracie
Old 09-25-2010, 12:28 AM

I totally agree with DM, but be very careful if you search for Old Hickory. The newer old Hickory knives are thinner and not as high quality as the old.

I also agree that the Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch chef's knife is the best bang for the buck when it comes to a workhorse chef's knife.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-475.../dp/B000638D32

Quality of the steel is obviously important, but the ability to properly sharpen and maintain is paramount!!!

Last edited by DiggingDogFarm; 09-25-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:53 AM
Passed On

Ya'll are SWEET! Thank You so much. I'm going to check these things out YAY!

happy dance'n
~Grizzy~
Old 09-25-2010, 03:27 AM

The one knife I reach for most often in the kitchen is the 8" chefs knife by Chicago cutlery. I got it at Walmart and it has been the most unversal knife I have ever owned. It holds an edge really well and stays sharp. Griz I agree with you on owning a good sharpening stone or means that works best for you to sharpen knives. I have several really good butcher knives, but I tend to use different knives for different things. I have some XX Case knives and Old Hickorys that we use when we butcher large animals. The ones my dad alas used when we butchered hogs. I have some that I got as a shower gift 30 years ago, not sure of the name, but they have an aluminum hand and are stainless. They sharpen easy and stay that way for a long time. Those I use for chickens. And in different sizes. But for in the house, choppin veggies, cuttin meat, pryin on things, etc, thas where the chefs knife comes in.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 09-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Passed On

Thank You, Stelly.. a bear is learning alot here ...

~Grizzy~
Old 09-25-2010, 05:31 PM

Good grade Chicago knives are good, their cheap knives are junk though! I find my go to knives are Dexter Russels. I like them a lot! For good cheap paring knifes that resharpen wonderfully, Rada's are hard to beat.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Passed On

yotetrapper, I looked at the Dexter Russels and they really do look to be good ones. I read some very favorable comments on the RADA ones as well. Thank You for your input. I really appreciate it ...

~Grizzy~
Old 09-25-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotetrapper View Post
Good grade Chicago knives are good, their cheap knives are junk though! I find my go to knives are Dexter Russels. I like them a lot! For good cheap paring knifes that resharpen wonderfully, Rada's are hard to beat.
A friend of mine got a set of Chicago Cutlery in a knife block for a gift a year or so ago. I've used them several times, and they seem like pretty good knives, but they are the good ones, not a cheapo set.

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 AM

When I give wedding gifts it is always Chicago Cutlery knives.
I have also bought several sets for Christmas presents.
At Christmas time Ace hardware usually has Chicago Cutlery on sale.
We have 3 sets in the kitchen now.
I keep all of them sharp.
We also have a set of professional Gerber that I bought 30 years ago.
Broke the bread knife and sent it back to Gerber and they sent a new knife as well as reshaped the broken one and set that back also.
A lot of knife companies have bought other companies and you have to watch where things are made.
Gerber has knives made in China now.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
When I give wedding gifts it is always Chicago Cutlery knives.

A lot of knife companies have bought other companies and you have to watch where things are made.
Gerber has knives made in China now.
True enough, just like most brands these days... Some of their models made are in China, and some aren't, like this Gerber S30V hunting knife i bought not that long ago, that's made in the USA

I like it a lot...

DM

Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Passed On

Well, I'm not in a big hurry. I'll think about this some and see if I can find a good price on Amazon probably. DM and backlash.. thank you much much for your input. I sure would like to get a few different brands ya'll have spoken so highly of.. That would be so cool ...

~Grizzy~
Oh yea.. DM, Nice Hunt'n knife!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 AM

Many years ago in Alaska, a good friend of mine bought a high end metal dector... He had the hots to find treasure in Alaska, so i told him i knew of a small lake out in the bush that old timers use to camp at. I took him out there, and we got after it! Anyway, he was finding mostly junk, when the detector went off, and i dug down finding an OLD rusty knife. He took one look at it, and said: "i don't want that rusty thing, you take it if you want it". And i did!

A day or two later, i took the wire wheel on my grinder to it, and cleaned it up.... and after a time, it started looking pretty good! I sharpened it, rubbed it down with cooking oil and started using it.

About a week later my friend was over for supper, and was helping me prep a bit for the meal.... he was commenting on how good the knife he was using was working for him, when i asked, "does that knife look familiar?" He looked it over and thought for a few seconds, and said, is this the knife "I" found? I said, it's the knife "WE" found... He wanted it back right then, and got a bit pizzed when i said heck NO, you didn't want it, and i cleaned it up to use here. lol He didn't like that at all!! lol

To this day, i use it almost EVERY day, and it's a wonderful knife! Although all markings are long gone, i'm sure it's an Old Hickory!

DM

Old 09-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Passed On

BERRY COOL! But.. I wonder why they would be making them a lessor quality now. Someone said they were thinner.. Yea I seriously thot about just doing that and being done with it but.. there are some very well priced decent knives out there right now.

~Grizzy~
Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
There is a sale on Wusthof kitchen knives that I found. Then I went to the site and found there are levels of quality of their knives.. the Gourmet knives I found on sale are a lil lower down on the list.. but they Are.. Wusthof. If anyone favors the Wusthof.. could you let me know if there is really much difference in the Classic and the Gourmet line?

My real question, tho, is what brand kitchen knives do you think are just the very best? This is something I always wanted.. a really good Chef's knife (probably 8") that I can use to cut up meat.

I'd sure appreciate your input. I keep my knives sharpened but I just don't have one good good knife.

Thanks, Ya'll
~Grizzy~
The best way to find a knife you love, is to hold it.
Find one that fits your hand, that is easy to use, and that you love to hold.
Then look at the price tag.

Sometimes the fact that it is THE perfect knife....takes the sting out of the sticker shock!

I need to knife shop myself.....just haven't had the time.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Rada Cutlery

I have been wanting new knives for a while & did some research before buying. I have only had mine for a week, but so far I am really pleased with them. I have used the peeler several times & it is the best ever. I used the bread knife today on homemade cinnamon bread & it worked great. The tomato knife is unbelievable! These knives are very ecomonical and made in the USA. I got mine off Amazon with free shipping. Just type in Rada Cutlery to search. I got the 7 piece starter set, cooks utility knife, granny paring knife, stubby butcher knife & the sharpener. I liked the paring knives so much that I already ordered 2 more. (I need several when canning so I can get help peeling.)