BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM

Default Anyone sell camp wood for some extra cash?

I say camp wood because it's typically sold in smaller piles/bundles.

I would prefer to sell proper firewood, and not limit myself, but most of my wood is Poplar/Aspen. I do have some good hardwood, but itís scattered, and frankly Iím saving it in case we need it. I donít think there is enough hardwood to sell and have a good stash for future needs. Currently I purchase tri-axles of pole wood for heating the cabin.

Anyway I have an abundance of poplar and would like to sell some to the hunting/recreation camps that are prevalent in the area.

Any helpful tips?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
I say camp wood because it's typically sold in smaller piles/bundles.

I would prefer to sell proper firewood, and not limit myself, but most of my wood is Poplar/Aspen. I do have some good hardwood, but it’s scattered, and frankly I’m saving it in case we need it. I don’t think there is enough hardwood to sell and have a good stash for future needs. Currently I purchase tri-axles of pole wood for heating the cabin.

Anyway I have an abundance of poplar and would like to sell some to the hunting/recreation camps that are prevalent in the area.

Any helpful tips?
One of my friends sells "bundles" of a few pieces of split wood pieces about 18inch long for fall campfires to local grocery stores. She gets two dollars a bundle, but they resell it for about four dollars a bundle.
She sells watermelons, asparagus, berries, corn, etc to the stores in the area, so she has an opening to sell the wood too. Could you approach your local stores to see if they would be interested in buying some from you to resell?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 PM

Default althier

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post
One of my friends sells "bundles" of a few pieces of split wood pieces about 18inch long for fall campfires to local grocery stores. She gets two dollars a bundle, but they resell it for about four dollars a bundle.
She sells watermelons, asparagus, berries, corn, etc to the stores in the area, so she has an opening to sell the wood too. Could you approach your local stores to see if they would be interested in buying some from you to resell?
I've seen packaged bundles in other parts of the state but never up here.
Don't know why. Possibly because wood and large properties are common. I may consider that angle.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 AM

In our nearest city, the convenience stores sell small bundles of firewood. I talked to one of the suppliers and he said he made more money doing that than selling firewood by the cord. Even considering that he wrapped it in plastic and and stapled a rope handle. I imagine part of the reason is that he delivered to the stores in town, not all over the countryside to individual homes.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM

I bought a bunch of bundled camp wood when I took my wife from a hot dry campground to the other side of the mountains to a cold and wet campground.
She was not happy but the fishing was way better.
I figured it cost about $480 a cord at the time.
Try selling to apartment complexes that have fireplaces.
Get in at the local mini marts and gas stations.
If your wood is seasoned and dry it will sell.
If you have a good quality make sure you have a brand name for it so people will look for your product.