Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 AM

Default Hunting so far this season

Hi all, how has this hunting season been treating you? Any fun stories? Tall tales?

This is my first full season with my gun dog Luna. She has been fantastic, although she still has some puppy behaviors that she needs more training for. She was in the canoe for the first time this weekend. She thought that was just grand. We didn't get any ducks that day though.

I've taken 6 pheasant, 4 grouse, 8 partridge, and 2 ducks.

This weekend I go up into the foothills to set up deer and elk camp for 4 days. If a bear strolls by I might take that too. Two years ago I could've taken a shot on a bear opening day, but I was gunning for elk. Should've pulled the trigger on that one.

Post your adventures in filling the freezer.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Archery just opened up here.
If it ever stops raining this week I hope to sneak out.

Certainly sounds like you have been enjoying yourself.

Last edited by God's Country; 10-05-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Master Pontificator

Bow season's been in here for a month and have't the time to go yet. Deer and turkey abound but the time don't lol, this week end is early blackpowder and i will try my luck then.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:40 PM

I've determined that I'm just to damn old to bow hunt anymore. Ok, ok, I'm just to damn old to run them buggers down.

I went fishing with my pop a couple weeks ago. He and mom live where I'll be hunting this year. Mining pits; great fishing really. Just have a little john boat or don't waste your time. I hadn't been there in better than 15 years and WOW it's like an un-explored forest; you have to fight to get to the edge of the little lakes now or have a boat for the little piles of mud they call boat ramps.

Anyhoo, fishing was insane. I was going to just turn loose one catfish I caught but dad said mom said to bring back everything we caught; soooooo, I did. Bout 35 perch bigger than my hand, 20 or so crappie a bit bigger, only 2 cats but 12 outstanding bass. Mom was happy, so dad was happy, so i got to grab some of his shot guns and go kick up some fields.

I scared up so many does I thought I was in a damn zoo. Needless to say thats where I'll be hunting this year but I'm going to wait for the rifle seasons. There's really no point in bowing in such undergrowth and risking the loss of your deer. And that area is TOTALLY under used because of it's difficulty to just get into the area.

Oh, I'm taking my friend out for his first deer hunt too. I told him last year if he was serious he'd get a rifle. Wellll, sigh, he did so I took him shooting a bit. He did fine with the .22 and I should have let him shoot that 410 slug i have but instead we just jumped to his 3006; hehe; ouchy. On the plus side he did hit the fence post the target was nailed to; yah, I put up a new one, sigh.

Anyways, I'm holding steady til December for deer but when the cold cracks I'll take my friend out with the .22 and have him shoot and gut some rabbits. Get him a little blooded that way before he takes down something as large as a deer.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 PM

Just got done with a week long bird camp here in Northern Michigan. Grouse numbers were down some, but we still managed quite a few, and some excellent meals from them after ! the Woodcock flights were not down yet, but lots of residents birds kept us shooting.

2 weeks and I am off to Colorado for some Elk and Mule Deer hunting.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 PM

Have fun in Colorado. I just got my deer last night. I'm going on a 2 day duck hunt tomorrow morning. Leaving at 2:00 am to get in a hunt tomorrow morning. I don't think the migration will be fully on yet, but there should be resident birds and maybe a few migrating ones.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:24 PM

I've put a couple of bears up so far but not shot one yet.. I should of took this one but it was kinda late and I was pretty far back in the wilderness and decided I would wait until we got one up earlier in the day... but the quota was filled 2 days later so no bear for me this year..

Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Master Pontificator

Bear i don't see no bear, all i see is a huge roast covered in carrots, taters, celery, onions, peppers and anything else i can find, LOL. That is a fine lookin bruin. We have a two day season coming in Dec. and it's only in three counties in KY. I live in the center of this area. I,am gona try anyway.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Master Pontificator

Hunting has been good here in TN. I went hunting with our two boys this week. Jerry from Woods Wise hunting calls took us to a sweet piece of 200 acres where we spent this past Saturday for the youth hunt.

Each of my boys got a huge doe and and a buck (each one's first buck), one a 6 and one an 8 pointer. We must've counted at least 30 deer at a time in one field where we were looking over. It was also cool, because my youngest son was also filmed for an upcoming DVD that he will be putting out, so we have our 15 minutes of fame... lol

Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM

Nice set there guys.

Ok, we go out saturday, I've been telling my friends to be paitent with hunting, not to get to excited blah blah blah.

So, what happens? I put them in a shooting position at 715, and Start walking the fence, driving the deer up the ravine, and a 6 point buck jumps at about 730, dead left of Mark's position. This buck starts walking toward their position but neither one of them wants to take the shot head on; so I do some grunting and the he turns toward me and Mark makes his shot. Bang, drops it like a rock where it stands. Nice shot a little back of the heart though but he was using a 208g bullet so, well, you know; dead.

So instead of just letting me dress it Mark decides he wants a lesson in field dressing hands on; uhg. I don't mind the teaching but we'd dropped one in less than a half hour after sunup and I wanted to get this dressed and move on to my next area; oh well.

Two hours later (sigh), really, he shoots great having come back from Iraq and all, but he damn sure don't know his way around a knife.

I'll try and get the picture we took of it up sometime this week.

All in all, nice deer, nice one shot, and he didn't puke while we cleaned it.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 PM

Duck season has been great. The best season I have seen in the rice fields of south Louisiana in a long time. We were beginning to just say we were going goose hunting....and if a duck happened to come by, great.
I'm not really sure if it was because of the drought and the folks in the states above Louisiana did not pump water, therefore, the ducks were not "short stopped". Or, if it was because of the BP oil spill. I know they paid local farmers near our farms to pump water early so that it would hold the waterfowl from going all the way down into the marshes and gulf.
In any case, it has been an absolute blast for teal season and for the first duck season split. I haven't seen many geese, but I hear they are just as plentiful. They just haven't visited our farms yet.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 PM

This is his first one ever. One shot one kill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resizedeer.jpg (14.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 AM

Nice buck bigriks. Probably about 175 lbs?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 PM

One nice 4x4 mule deer in Oregon with my .35 Whelen.

One nice 3x3 blacktail buck here in Washington.

Grouse numbers are WAY down and I've taken 8 so far, normal is 25 to 40.

3 Pheasants over my 9 1/2 year old GWP, big game hunted to much this year.

For the first time in over 35 years, I didn't even SEE an elk, let alone shoot one. That was a real first for me.

I'm sure there has been more than I've forgotten.

Last edited by Fortyfour; 12-10-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Life in PA has been good this year. I took a Turkey with my bow. I got a doe and a 5 point buck in the first week of the regular gun season as well. All were dropped where they stood with one shot. Waiting for the late season to open up on the 27th. I still have two doe tags to try and fill. Hopefully I will be able to get a shot with my Taurus .44 mag.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Default hunting

Shot my first flintlock buck this year. He was a decent sized 6 older 6 point. Provided a good deal of meat in the freezer, Now if I can just get the kiddo one next weekend, I won't have to buy a 1/2 a beef.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 PM

shot an elk. Gave half to my buddy. Shot a moose kept half. Shot 2 whitetail bucks kept both. My lady shot 1 buck. Two Turkeys, One bear for sausage and pastry lard.
All and all another fall in British Columbia. I just love the hunting season. It should be a holiday.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

Well...like Ive mentioned before, I havent got to buy my land yet. I dont have my Backwoods Home yet. So Im still stuck in this danged city I live in!!

So, this past hunting season all I got was this... shot one car thief out back in the alley with my 30.06; shot a neighbors dog who was running loose and tried to bite me, with my 12 guage; shot a panhandler at a gas station as he was trying to convince me that "he really needed my money" with my .45auto. And yesterday when I came home from work my girlfriend didnt have my dinner cooked; (said she was too busy watching Oprah on TV)... so I took her out in the back yard and shot her a few times with my BB gun. My freezer has nothing in it but frozen pizzas.
--Ironclad

Last edited by Ironclad; 03-16-2011 at 07:33 PM.