Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Recycled Gasoline

I made a major swoop this summer.

I was gifted about a dozen old gas cans of several types and sizes. Most were plastic of from 1 to 5 gallon. One old steel gas can. And 3 steel outboard motor gas cans. (score)

All of them had at least a little gas in them, and a couple maybe 1/2 full. Not knowing just what was in all them, I tested the ones I was the most unsure of. Pour a little in the gravel driveway and light it afire. Depending on how it lit, burned, smoked etc, I was sure it was all gasoline.

I went ahead and mixed it all together. After letting it settle for a few days, I started siphoning it off into clear plastic 1 gallon bottles. The blue color from the 2 cycle oil mix was a real help in that if there was any water in the jug it showed up real well on the bottom.

I kept this process up until I had about a quart of dirty gas, sediment, water and what not left over. Used that to burn a brush pile.

All totaled, I saved about 5 plastic gas cans complete. All 3 outboard tanks cleaned up nice. (sweet) And I used the gas in my old pickup at about 1 gallon per tank full.

Worked out well.
Wyo

Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about filling up at the local Uhaul at midnight!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM

Talking

----------------------
I thought this thread was going to be about filling up at the local Uhaul at midnight!
-----------------------
Bwahahahahahahahaa LMBO

Haven't ever done that. But........ Used to siphon off the "pump gas" from oil well pumps when I was a teen. Essentially pump gas is the condensation that forms in the pipes when an oil well is not pumping. If I remember right you had to cut it with a little kerosene, and a little motor oil to get it usable.

If you didn't get greedy, and run too high a percentage of it per tank full, you could extend you gas a little with it. Mostly it was too much work for what it saved in the long run. But teenage boys will go to any lengths to save 30 cents for a gallon of gas...............

Wyo
Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 PM

takes all kinds - like the boys i knew who had access to a small airport and stole avgas to run in their hot rod jalopies - they went like crazy until the exhaust valves burned - which was not too long -
Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseToo View Post
takes all kinds - like the boys i knew who had access to a small airport and stole avgas to run in their hot rod jalopies - they went like crazy until the exhaust valves burned - which was not too long -
Actually LESS likely to burn a valve on AV gas, as it has/had lead. Newer stellite valve seats were needed to run no-lead. Most likely early cars ran to demise running no-lead.

Chevy Power Manual RECOMMENDS 100-130 octane AV as fuel, for high perf. motors.

I ran/run it in my 68 Camaro (450Hp small block 12:1 compression) , just can't pull up to the pumps to fill up anymore, and leave my mark (positraction) on the runway when leaving......

P.S. my old gas goes in a 1940 Ford tractor, has a prefilter, water sep sediment bowl, inline filter (add-on) and screen before carb: at 6.5:1 comp. will run about any swill it is fed including old two stroke mix. Water will sep. out and can be discarded

Last edited by Mad_Professor; 08-31-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:22 AM

Haven't ever done that. But........ Used to siphon off the "pump gas" from oil well pumps when I was a teen. Essentially pump gas is the condensation that forms in the pipes when an oil well is not pumping. If I remember right you had to cut it with a little kerosene, and a little motor oil to get it usa

We called it 'casing head drip' and it smelled like old rotten gas if you tipped the can for more than about 1/2. Some wells were better than others. Some had a big puddle and others just a little.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:39 PM

We frequently have racers come by the airport to buy 100LL avgas to mix in with their super unleaded, and have been getting good results with it.

In a life or death emergency in which you *have* to get gas to GTFOOD, an older vehicle, primarily one without a catalytic converter (and even with.... if it's your only way out) can use fuel sumped from an abandoned airplane. I'd probably check to see if I could get the airplane running, myself, but I've been an airplane mechanic. Not recommended for folks without that sort of experience.

100LL stores MUCH longer than car gas, and while we tend not to want to let it sit too long in the plane, I've checked tanks that have been sitting for years and found good fuel in 'em.