BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paqcrewmama View Post

She told me that Pepsi used to make their soda and now Coca-Cola does!
No wonder I dont like their cola any more. It use to be good now it tastes like cherry coke... We drink pespi here.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylar View Post
No wonder I dont like their cola any more. It use to be good now it tastes like cherry coke... We drink pespi here.
sorry.

Not a big soda drinker myself so I can't speak from experience.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Does it taste like the classic coke? I love the Coke Zero because it's sugar free with the classic taste. It would be awesome if Aldi's had a generic form that tasted that way. Of course, it's probably aspartame, so I have to greatly limit its intake.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Since I had a recent experience with an Aldi store I thought I would contribute.
I have been trying to find a new market for grocery's and trying the Aldi store was a big disappointment.
First of all the doors were one way and you had to walk to the end of the store to get back to the front to exit. Then the closed check out lanes ( 3 of 4 ) were barricaded.
After reading the other posts here I didn't miss much as I left without buying. I felt like a cow being herded around.
That store is not for me.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_to_seven_chi View Post
Does it taste like the classic coke? I love the Coke Zero because it's sugar free with the classic taste. It would be awesome if Aldi's had a generic form that tasted that way. Of course, it's probably aspartame, so I have to greatly limit its intake.
I loved the taste of Coke Zero however the Splenda they use gives me migraines HUGE ones.

I'm waiting to see if they begin to use Truvia which I CAN eat. So I'm stuck with the aspartame for now for the few "sodas" I do drink. Which is not often. Maybe one a week.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:09 PM

@ Davedone;

The Aldi stores are all like that.It's done on purpose,as a marketing ploy.You have to go all the way through the store to get back out,forcing you to look at items,and possibly spend more than you intended.

That's why bigger grocery stores put the milk and bread at the back of the store....so you have to go through and look at stuff before you get to what you want,and on the way to the checkout.....
Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leera View Post
@ Davedone;

The Aldi stores are all like that.It's done on purpose,as a marketing ploy.You have to go all the way through the store to get back out,forcing you to look at items,and possibly spend more than you intended.

That's why bigger grocery stores put the milk and bread at the back of the store....so you have to go through and look at stuff before you get to what you want,and on the way to the checkout.....
I think it done equally as much for loss prevention.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That simply is NOT true!
Coca-Cola and Aldi don't get along. Coke sued Aldi last fall for patent infringement!

Cott Corporation makes Aldi Soda.
http://www.cott.com/

Aldi crackers are made by Bremner Food Group.
http://www.bremnerfoodgroup.com/

Aldi eggs are grown by Weaver Brothers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoY8FHzg4jU

http://www.weavereggs.com/
Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarDude View Post
I think it done equally as much for loss prevention.
Yep, that is likely true. It's also the reason I won't go back to sam's club either. I went in to "see" and there were a couple of employees at the exit checking peoples receipts with their carts on the way out! I was mortified. I'll not shop where they suspect everyone a thief.
Whats it coming to?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedone View Post
Yep, that is likely true. It's also the reason I won't go back to sam's club either. I went in to "see" and there were a couple of employees at the exit checking peoples receipts with their carts on the way out! I was mortified. I'll not shop where they suspect everyone a thief.
Whats it coming to?
Keep your eyes open at Wal-Mart. They do the same thing only they are a little more discreet about it. The cashiers try to make sure nothing goes out in the bottom of the cart or without a bag (unless really large). Wal-Mart and Kroger's keep detectors on entry and exit doors for things that have not had the RFID demagnetized.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 PM

Default I know,

Things have changed a lot I suppose. But I still fill up first at "my" gas station with a nod despite the pay first policy when the prices jump.
I guess that's why we just stay home most of the time.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 AM

I've worked in retail,pretty much my entire work career so far,and I can tell you I've seen plenty from both sides,from the customer stand point,and the retail standpoint....when I first hired in at Arbor Drugs here in Michigan,their stores were set up just like that,with a barrier seperating the in from the out,and the only way out was to go all the way around....things have changed since the installation of cameras,alarms at the doors,and sensors on the products...

If you're ever in Walmart,and hear "please activate security cameras,in such and such depertment"....all that means is the person working in that area is going on break....walmart has active store loss prevention employees 24/7 dressed in plain clothes,pretending to shop...during the day they can have as many as 8-10 working the sales floor.

On an interesting side note...75% of all loss from retail stores is internal(employees)....the remaining 25% is customers and paperwork errors.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leera View Post
On an interesting side note...75% of all loss from retail stores is internal(employees)....the remaining 25% is customers and paperwork errors.
Right, I am sure you know that it was internal shrinkage, that closed the Korvettes chain -
Old 03-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Years back, a Mom in our homeschool group would talk about having the door alarm go off when she was leaving a store, or having someone want to check her ticket because they were doing all of them. She said, she would always just keep walking and let them chase her complaining. She didn't steal anything, let them call the police if they wanted. She even threatened to sue an employee once who dared to grab her arm. She always said, it was their their problem, she hadn't broken the law, and if she did then call the police and let them prove it. I always liked her. She had moxie.

Back when they started putting those stupid alarms on doors, they would go off a lot, especially at KMarts. It's a lot better now, but KM is still worse than WM for having them go off for nothing. I was at the farm supply store a few weeks back and it went off on iodine I had just purchased. Now, how many people actually steal a bottle of iodine? Ridiculous.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:33 PM

I like my Aldi's. Of course I only buy the canned, paper goods.
No way do I buy fruit or meat there. Oh and sugar of course.
Btw, there is no difference, chemically, between beet sugar or pure cane sugar provided both taken to the pure white. Otherwise, the "raw" version of beet vs. cane is quite different.

I don't know about flour so I just buy it in 100# bags at sams as it is the cheapest and I'm experimenting with making daily bread; I'm gettin' better
Old 04-29-2016, 08:18 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm
Aldi = Spend a little for a lot of crap!!!

What's the obsession (other than price) with Aldi?
Well I used to LOVE going to aldis because I could get stuff I considered BETTER than stuff in reg stores now... (which have Lower sugar,lower sodium,skim milk (instead of regular) .... EVERYTHING TASTES LIKE CRAP!!)

ALDIs used to have good stuff but now they are also doing what reg stores are and its quite sad...... No reason really to go there now!!

Ever since they started attacking our food in the 90s,its been getting worse and worse..... I used to go out to eat EVERYDAY but I hardily do now..... THE FOOD IS HORRIBLE!!!!! (No flavour or so little its disgusting)

Last edited by Dude111; 04-30-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:17 AM

They opened an Aldi in our town a couple of years ago. Before then I had only heard of them.
It's a nice store...employees are friendly, store is clean and well stocked, lines aren't excessively long. It's everything the local Walmart is not.

Having Aldi's has been convenient to run in and get one or two items. I don't see where their prices are so fantastic though. Their stuff is in smaller sizes so I guess it seems to be a cheaper deal?? Cheese comes to mind...they sell it in 1/2-pound blocks for just under $2. I get cheese from Azure , 6# brick, for just over $3 per pound...plus it is a much better quality cheese.

(Oops! Didn't realize this was such an old thread.)

Last edited by Mesquite_Bean; 05-03-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 PM

Not to worry..... Dates dont matter!!

Thank you for your input
Old 05-04-2016, 11:43 AM

If you like horse meat it is definitely the place to go!

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-beef-products

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 08-28-2016, 02:08 AM

Angry

They just keep getting worse and worse!!

I loved Beef ravioli,I got it from Aldis ....... I had noticed for months now ALL COMPANIES WERE MAKING IT THE SAME WAY (Ingredients) So there was NO getting it better......

Today I went to aldis and noticed the can was different so I looked at the ingredients (WHEN THEY CHANGE SOMETHING WITH THE PACKAGE,it almost always means they have messed with it somehow!!)

They removed CHEDDER CHEESE and replaced it with ROMANO CHEESE..... Along with some other ingredient changes..... TASTES LIKE GARBAGE!! (I dont like Romano cheese for one) Leaves a strange after taste in my mouth! (It has some kind of spice in it now)

I HOPE ITS JUST ALDIs BRAND THAT DID THIS!!