BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:40 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozarkian View Post
Actually I frequestly shop at Aldi's in Rolla, MO. Like all stores, its not all good, or bad. But I find better produce there and at much better prices than the other 3 stores. Can't say anything about the eggs, butter, milk or meat - as we raise our own and do not purchase them, but we drink the frozen oj daily (it says its a product of USA, Brazil and Mexico), if I am low on farm chicken and have to purchase, we buy whole chickens at Aldi's and have noticed no problem with them. Pasta, flour, sugar, etc are more items we regulary purchase and use. Can't say about the one you visited, but here I estimate the savings over Walmart to be around 30 percent, conservatively. Example today I bought 10 lbs of pototoes at Aldi's for $1.29 and Walmart had them for $3.84 - also got bags of baby carrots for 0.39 each.
And on a side note, I can find just as much foreign product at Wallyworld and the local grocery stores as I can at Aldi's. Sorry you had a bad experience, but ours is clean, convenient and affordable-- and that's what I look for in a store.
I go to the same store once a week when I come into town and 6 years after your post I have nothing but good experience at this store- agree in savings over walnart . Cheapest milk in town , cheapest eggs In Town, cheapest ( and good ice vanilla Ice cream.) cheapest and fresh English muffins. Cant speak for canned good as we never buy anything processed like that. Staff is friendly and helpful and quickly open another line if things get backed up.
Top of that the non food stuff is a surprise every week.. I got a fine set of wood chisels there for $ 10. Recommended by Paul sellers.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 08-29-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Master Pontificator

Aldi's is one of the few chains that actually operate in my area, they are obviously cheap, packaging is cheaper, products are cheaper made and often lesser quality, store isn't flashy (floor cracks, patchy paint on the wall, etc). but overall their prices tend to only be 60% of what anyone else would charge and often the products are comparable. employees actually do keep things running too, Aldi's never has lines longer than 3 people otherwise they open another register, Wallyworld, Price Gouger or Hannafjord would just let 20 people wait for the one open register
Old 08-29-2016, 05:26 PM

I don't get to visit Aldi very often as their is not one in my area, but the few times I've been to one I've liked it. Just amazing to see all the different brands that are not local to me.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:02 PM

Earlier this year, there were several articles about Aldi's trying to compete with Whole Foods and Trader Joes by increasing their organic selections. I can't bring myself to go to Whole Foods. It's popular but just not my thing.

Regarding Aldi's, I wasn't a fan of many of their canned and boxed foods. But they do have really good spiral hams, sweet potato casserole and their milk and eggs are markedly cheaper than Kroger. However, my mom swears by Aldi's for dry products, produce and some frozen goods. She takes the time to shop multiple stores to get the best deal. I use coupons or go without because I am lazy.

Here are the links to the articles if you have any interest in the organic market.

http://www.startribune.com/aldi-jump...gon/188943181/

http://www.businessinsider.com/aldi-...e-foods-2016-1
Old 02-28-2017, 10:15 PM
Master Pontificator

No, you don't want to buy fresh fruit, vegetables, or meat from Aldi. At least I don't anyway.

But their toilet paper, paper plates, napkins, oatmeal, salt, pepper, flour, sugar, olive oil, spaghetti sauce, dry pasta, canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, etc. etc. etc. are really good for a lot lower cost than at the plain grocery store. I don't buy everything from Aldi but many things I do. And for folks who might be really down on their luck or having a hard time making ends meet, cottage cheese with-whatever-you-said-was-in-it is better than starving.